Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

5B9BB016-0B88-4FB2-ACAD-7617CAFC91DD.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

You're a beast!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:18 pm 5B9BB016-0B88-4FB2-ACAD-7617CAFC91DD.jpeg
I had an apartment with a smaller kitchen 🤣. Its looking good Dan. Going to be like home before you know it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I ran into a major snag though.

My countertop is warped 10 mm..it was outside. Gonna let it sit overnite. 27" wide glueup of 5 sapele boards. The curve is side to side the 27" way

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

clamp it down to a flat surface or thick battons and leave it till you are ready for permanent install. Its going to move regardless where it is until attached.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Classic corrective action:

Rip it into 3” wide strips. Rotate every other one 180 deg to swap the cupping direction. Re-glue then run through a surfacing planer.

But you have a vac table. Kerf the convex side. Fill/cover with epoxy. Glass it then vac it flat.

I’m sure there are better ideas out there.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

this is a huge controversy. I’ve heard this debated among professional wood workers and its a mixed bag of results. The general consensus that I have gotten is The cupping direction doesn’t help, because if its going to cup in the center of each board. then you just end up with a wavy board. The reality is a 27” wide piece of wood is going move no matter what unless you put breadboad ends on it. or battens underneath. I just clamp it flat until you attach it to cabinets and the cabinets will hold it flat.
Jaysen wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:33 pm Classic corrective action:

Rip it into 3” wide strips. Rotate every other one 180 deg to swap the cupping direction. Re-glue then run through a surfacing planer.

But you have a vac table. Kerf the convex side. Fill/cover with epoxy. Glass it then vac it flat.

I’m sure there are better ideas out there.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I finished one side; so probably my fault..

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

FG1k, that may not be the cause, but it didn’t help. Just like glassing one side, finish changes the ability of the wood to move which will exacerbate the problem.

JMac, the alternation of cupping is less preventative but to make recovery of the existing wood more efficient. Once flattened you still need preventative steps to make sure it stays flat. I prefer “install it in the final resting place” over stabilize for storage. But I also build things late.

Basically we agree that once flat it need battened and held flat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

The fundamentals of the build to date are spot on. Don't become distracted because one non-structural element of the interior fit out is turning out less than perfect. Retain perspective. It's past time to get this cat cruising. Chances are that after cruising a couple of seasons, you'll end up reworking the interior of the central pod anyway. Or if the current layout works, you can rebuild central pod joinery in the light of experience if existing finish stiill bugs you. Build on. Time to go cruising.
Last edited by glossieblack on Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).