Freedom150

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here

Freedom150

Post by Guest »

Hopping around a bit with the amazing number of designs found here. Am looking at HM19 but I see the repeated advise to start small.

I think I finally have a handle on the SC 16 after a bit of confusion.

There is the amazing build by Mitch Coughlin on the home page of this site. He seems to have eliminated the middle framing. Possibly by adding floor. That is attractive to me for floor space one could rig a shelter over.

There are the photos on the SC16 page that show a five sided stern. I am 95% sure those are actually the Scilly Gig. They appear on that site too.

Cape Man's impressive build is another custom venture with the goal of reducing weight for car topping. There is a photo of a passenger laying down with the center frame replaced by a cane seat that may add a bit of structure.

For this design my goal would be a motorized freighter canoe that two could camp out of or one could camp in. Suitable for lakes and rivers that may get some weather. We often canoe camp far away places and when you get there you get there.

Also, some smaller crowded lakes experience that wash tub effect of boat wakes. I would not try to car top it but at less than 200lbs one could push it around a bit (I occasionally launch my Shellback dinghy at non trailer sites using strap on canoe wheels.)

So my question: how important is that center frame. Did Mr Coughlin's addition of a sole / floor reduce the need? Is the horizontal bracing of the canoe seat in Cape Man's build sufficient?

JSHaley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Freedom150

Post by JSHaley »

Disregard this as well. I inadvertently posted as a guest and then reposted sign in. Then found my answer.
I apologize for the clutter.
John

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

You definitely found the two opposite options for the SC16 between mine and Coach's and his floor (with stringers and bulkheads) replaces the need for benches, and my cane seats keep the sides together. The bottom of mine flexes quite a bit in chop and waves, but so does my cedar strip canoe.

It is a large "canoe" but I wouldn't want to sleep in it. It is big enough for one person to lay in. Perhaps I'm just too old. It is a very straightforward build and a good starter boat. Mine does well with a 2.5 hp yamaha.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Lillistone’s Fleet or Flint are very simliar to the SC 16. I may build one of these as a creek beater, have a 15” 6hp already.

Fleet is set up with longitudinal boxes, maybe could sleep between but it’s narrow. I think laying up above seats would be tippy.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

You might look at the small sailboats as options . SH14 would give a little more beam and 40 lbs lighter as designed . SV16 is a lot more beam when looking at two people sleeping side by side , and 15 lbs lighter . CK17 is designed as a camp cruiser , but not a car topper . If you don't want a sail option just mount a small outboard ,but a boom tent would fit your your intended use .

JSHaley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SC16

Post by JSHaley »

Thank you for the replies.

I knew about Fleet and spent some time looking her and her sister Flinty over. I think the designs offered here rely more on biax cloth in and out. Part of the goal would be to become familiar with how these boats go together before biting off something bigger (HM19 or P19).

Was really attracted to CK17 but wanted something simpler to start out. Have a 11' Shellback sailboat now, no sleep aboard though.

May skip the sleep aboard strategy or step up to larger design