Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

20220104_111341.jpg
Postponed for a day due to strong winds from the southwest but it was still too stiff coming out of the northwest for Hermine (the SC16) and a Gheenoe my son's friends brought so we spent the first two nights in Flamingo's campground. More to come, but need to resize and sort through the pics and videos.

Another great trip to Cape Sable and safely home...

Happy New Year!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The thought of you fishing open water in January makes me sad jealous.

Here is my view and a balmy 22F.
650B5DDD-9516-4337-AD07-92F0B448451F.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That was my yard Monday morning 4" and 18 degrees here in the NC mountains. First snow of the season.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

still have more pics to upload and edit, but here's a few more from the 2022 trip to Cape Sable...
20220106_180429.jpg
20220106_064849.jpg
And here's a video of one of the 5 sharks we landed over two days. Pardon the F bomb... :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zdq-px50Q

All too large to harvest and all released with no injury to fish or angler/spectator!

More to come...
24949.jpeg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Saweeettt!

Capeman, can you tell me about the typica gear used?

I have a surfcasting rig, but want a baitcasting level wind I think to do that type of fishing and shorter casts?

Also, how do you rig that?

ty

Dan

cape man

Post by cape man »

One of my son's friends brought that rod this year. It was a massive offshore reel on a 6 foot VERY stout rod. 400 yards of 80 pound test backing with 100 yards of 120 pound test shock line on the end. Terminal tackle was a large swivel with about eight feet of heavy wire, and two large circle hooks about 6 inches apart at the end. We use old panty hose filled with several pounds of sand as weight. Baits are carried about 100 yards offshore by boat and lowered gently in the water. When a fish grabs it and runs, the panty hose tears and dumps the sand. You can do the same thing with a much lighter rig and still catch the average shark there. He was hoping for a monster which people do catch off the shores here. Casting anything with a bait as large as we use is difficult, especailly with enough weight to keep it on the bottom, so most people run them out with a boat.

I have done the same thing in years past with 200 yards of poly rope and we just hand line them in. Sounds crazy, but the fight is actually easier on a rope than a rod. :doh:

I made everyone who wanted to touch the rod take the required Shark Fishing from Shore online class before we went. Its free, and actually has some good tips for doing it right and not hurting the fish if you want to release them. If we catch one in the 50 pound or less range, especially a black tip, it might go in the oil, but killing a 5 foot or larger shark is; 1) a pain to process on the beach; and 2) is a LOT OF MEAT!!!

cape man

Post by cape man »

clara.jpg
panarama.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Saweeettt!

Capeman, can you tell me about the typica gear used?

I have a surfcasting rig, but want a baitcasting level wind I think to do that type of fishing and shorter casts?

Also, how do you rig that?

ty

Dan

Any chance you can tell me the rod/reel combo?

Jaysen-see above; buffer remained full of last message.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:38 pm Jaysen-see above; buffer remained full of last message.
I’ve traced this to “browser” issues. Seems that sometimes (happens to me when I have incognito mode on) cookies are sticking around when they shouldn’t. The text saved in draft is actually a cookie. The way I’ve stopped it on my side is to
1. Whitelist BBC in browser security (make trusted)
2. Not use incognito or cookie suppression when visiting BBC
3. Use standard browsers.

As to rod/reels… I’m a fan of the lower end penn combos. I’m cheap and I find that even thought they don’t last as long as the high end stuff, they way outlast my needs. If I fished more I could justify the higher end gear.

As to tackle: 8/0, 4/0 and 1/0 circle hooks for everything. I don’t do sharks but I do keep some 7ply steel for leaders when toothy creatures are likely to find me. I use #1 “Dr Fish” bearing swivels (rates 75lbs).

I only run 25lb braid on the spools. I put 15lb mono leader for up to 12’. If I’m running steel another 24” to the lure/hook.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Are those sharks good to eat? The only one I have tried was Salmon shark I think, it was a long time ago. I do remember it was not very good eating. It was done by a pretty high end local restaurant so I think they knew how to prepare it.