Glass over

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Campy087
New Poster
New Poster

Glass over

Post by Campy087 »

I’ve got a 1983 flyers boat shop down east sport fisher. I’m looking to glass over! Hull boards are cedar , and ribs are oak! Currently there’s a coat of paint on hull! I’m looking for tips on glassing over! Primer or no primer??? Seams? Epoxy with hair or without ?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Glass over

Post by fallguy1000 »

Campy087 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 am I’ve got a 1983 flyers boat shop down east sport fisher. I’m looking to glass over! Hull boards are cedar , and ribs are oak! Currently there’s a coat of paint on hull! I’m looking for tips on glassing over! Primer or no primer??? Seams? Epoxy with hair or without ?
You have to provide more detail.

Here is a speed summary.

1. Bond strength of epoxy much higher than paint. Apply epoxy to paint and the paint breaks off easy when you add stuff to it like glass and then bump it on trailer or bottom.

2. Best way is to remove all paint.

3. Old wood likes, no loves to suck epoxy from fiberglass; best to precoat old wood and sand for key, or you'll get drysuckdd and it'll delam.

4. Inside the boat is really a different story. Plank on frame is really tricky because trapping moisture results in rot. So, if you epoxy over high moisture wood; you created a rot chamber.

5. Hair? We don't refer to fiberglass as hair. You need to explain use of the boat, but minimum glass for hull bottoms is 2 layers of 6 oz woven. Heavier use boats need better glass.

6. Epoxy has no uv resistance and requires paint.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:32 am
Campy087 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 am I’ve got a 1983 flyers boat shop down east sport fisher. I’m looking to glass over! Hull boards are cedar , and ribs are oak! Currently there’s a coat of paint on hull! I’m looking for tips on glassing over! Primer or no primer??? Seams? Epoxy with hair or without ?
4. Inside the boat is really a different story. Plank on frame is really tricky because trapping moisture results in rot. So, if you epoxy over high moisture wood; you created a rot chamber.

5. Hair? We don't refer to fiberglass as hair. You need to explain use of the boat, but minimum glass for hull bottoms is 2 layers of 6 oz woven. Heavier use boats need better glass.

6. Epoxy has no uv resistance and requires paint.
A few notes to add to Dan's points:
4. you have a problem that requires a bit more thought. In generally the prevailing wisdom is DO NOT glass the inside if you are adding glass to a wooden boat that never had glass added inside previously. If you do find a rotting board, replace it before you do ANYTHING with glass/epoxy.

5. No idea what "hair" is. But using biax or woven, as well as how much you use, is more dependant on what your intention is. If you are just attempting to add a protective layer then a couple of layers of thin cloth will get it. If you are adding structural rigidity to allow framing or other structural changes to the hull then you need a heck of a lot more.

6. As Dan said in point 1 and 2, you have to remove all that paint on areas you are glassing. Then you repair any rot or damage. Next you do the straight (no additives) epoxy layers until the wood is no longer absorbing it (old wood and light wood may suck up quite a bit). Then you lay your glass, fair the hull and then paint it.

It isn't complicated as a simple set of steps, but you need to do all your research on what each step really means before you start. I'm not allowed to buy wooden boats because the Boss Lady has researched with me. As beautiful as they are, she wants nothing to do with the efforts to rehab one of the classic ladies.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

What size of boat is this and how long do you want it to last?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

To follow-up Fuzz what is the length and width. You call it a sport fisher, who made it? Have you tested it for rot? Will you need to replace parts of the hull? What about the inside of the hull, is there any rot there? Stringers are particularly susceptible to rot as is the transom.

You should have also started your post one down in Cracker Larry's Repairs and Rebuilds.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

To follow-up Fuzz what is the length and width. You call it a sport fisher, who made it? Have you tested it for rot? Will you need to replace parts of the hull? What about the inside of the hull, is there any rot there? Stringers are particularly susceptible to rot as is the transom. This is a 40-year-old boat and who knows what maintenance has been given her.

You should have also started your post one down in Cracker Larry's Boat Repair and Rebuild Support. Just for your info, not criticizing.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

11 months later I don't think he's asking anymore :lol: :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman