Spray Rail Ideas?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Spray Rail Ideas?

Post by Ryan »

With all the talent in this forum I know someone has an excellent idea for a spray rail. This will be going on my LM18… I’m going to my local wood supply warehouse Monday and was hoping y’all had some good ideas.. attached is what I’m envisioning but using wood instead…

~Ryan
Attachments
C47BA39C-4F0D-46C1-B013-7C8DB2B1AEAA.png

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Spray Rail Ideas?

Post by VT_Jeff »

Hey Ryan,

My .02, worth all 2 pennies: You could do it with your marine plywood off-cuts. If you leave the top flat and taper the underside up to a fairly fine edge, it won't be super-obvious that they are plywood, assuming you want to leave them bright. If they're not gong to be bright, then plywood off-cuts is the def the way to go, imo.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

They do not have to be real big to work. I made some that are about a one inch triangle. While visiting Capeman put his head over the side and watched them work. When he got back home he added ones like mine to his dory. He seems to be pleased with them. Check his thread, you will need to go back a few years.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I used UHMWPE 20mm by 10mm strips for mine. One running down the chine, and one at the styleline on the C17. It glues ok with real care taken in preparation. Should last longer than any wood, hopefully the life of the boat.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ryan, you need to go back further than those in your picture show. I prefer ones that go all the way to the transom. As Fuzz noted they don't need to be really big. Take a 2x2 and glue one of the 11/2" sides to the boat and you will have one angled down to deflect the water. You will need to scarf the pieces as you go forward to account for the rounding of the hull and reduce their size to make them look good if you want. Don't put it to high, I like about 6-8" above the water line, when you are up on plane you will be higher. This all depends on the boat of course and how much distance there is from the water line there is to the upper deck.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I made my rails by using a piece of angle iron for a mold. Waxed it up good and filled with epoxy-glass hairs- and what ever I had lots of. The nice thing about using epoxy was while still green it was pretty flexible and would follow the hull pretty easy.

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

Good ideas! Thanks guys! I like the idea of using the angle iron as a mold as well, I don’t think I would’ve thought about that.

Would you guys attach these prior to glassing and fairing? I’m a that step now, I just taped the hull last night.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No after glassing, before fairing. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:47 pm No after glassing, before fairing. Tom
I'd do it after fairing. So much easier to fair large areas without obstructions. Once fair you can mark where it will go and quickly sand a strip down to the glass so you aren't gluing to the fairing compound if you are worried about the strength of that. I might just glue it directly to the faired surface myself, it's a lot of surface area for something not under much load.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

From my reading fairing compound has a shear strength proportional to the %age of epoxy in it more or less. Not great, but ok for light use.