FS18 on Cape Cod!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on Cape Cod!

Post by Fuzzytrout »

thanks!

I asked my wife what she got me for christmas she replied " I let you buy the motor" :lol:

I agree about the motors, esp the new motors. Ask a yamaha guy and he loves his yamaha, ask a mercury guy he loves his mercury, etc etc etc

I'm just happy to have a new motor to break in gently and maintain correctly. hopefully avoid the bottom with the skeg :roll:

I've been doing some googlin about the smg4 gauge and the nmea2000 network stuff, the nmea2000 is total overkill, all its gonna get me is the same info displayed on the simrad, which doesn't do much for me. the smg4 gauge displays all the info i'll want plus it has the fancy app that lets you scan a barcode and it sends all the information off to a dealer. thats really all i care about for the long term maintenance of the engine.

I gotta sell the side control box the engine came with and get the single binnacle for the CC, I was gonna sell the suzuki gas tank at first, but now I think I should keep it and the hose it came with as backup in case my wife and I decided to go camping for a couple days and might need extra gas...

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Glassed the inside!

the magic of the metal epoxy roller and plastic squeegee! looks good!

I'll add some glass to the bare spots of wood under the gunwhales

glassed in all my frames. my drainage holes will be minimal so I'll just drill holes after.
also got 3 layers of 6mm okume on for my rubrail. I noticed when i stitched my panels together I made the sheer line up front a little crooked and short so i fixed it with the rubrail. I'll fill in the little gap with some epoxy and wood flour and no on will ever know.

transon knees glassed in there.

Gonna drill some holes in the boat while its right side up, and then tomorrow flip the boat back over and start fairing the hull.

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

$400 brand new if anyone wants it let me know! i can ship for sure!

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Nice work. The boat looks great. Keep the momentum going and she will be done soon.
Dave

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm Image

What are you replacing it with? I'm using the same thing for my Honda, the side mount. Not sure what alternatives may exist.

Progress is looking sweet, way to roll!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:25 pm
Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm Image

What are you replacing it with? I'm using the same thing for my Honda, the side mount. Not sure what alternatives may exist.

Progress is looking sweet, way to roll!
Thanks!

im replacing it with the single binnacle for a center console.

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

SOOOOO.... did some boring stuff. made some holes for things in the transom, sharped the chimes, isntalled my skeg, etc etc etc...

the SK 14 was small enough that the fairing and sanding wasn't so bad...

now i get it. this kinda sucked. glad its over with... lost 10 lbs so far!

graphite on the bottom looking good! I wound up using the west systems foam rollers, and then coming back with the heat gun to pop the bubbles the foam roller left. using a propane torch to remove the bubbles left the epoxy/graphite mixture looking funky and kinda toasted.. I tried using the glasskoter rollers and various lint free short nap hair rollers, they all left a slight orange peel finish, and my hot water bathed graphite mixture still wouldn't flow out... the foam rollers seemed to be the only thing that left a nice smooth coat...

What paint roller does everyone recommend for the S3 yacht primer ? Will a foam roller leave lots of air bubbles like it did epoxy (im assuming yes)

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Just did another two coats of primer (I used the System Three Yacht Primer) on my FS18. I used a 4" high density foam roller. These work really well. I was painting in 70 degree temps. I didn't even need to come back and tip the primer, the bubbles popped by themselves leaving me with a really nice finish.
-Reid
ps: the graphite works looks really good!!!
FS18 Outside Primer 1.jpg
FS18 Outside Primer 2.jpg
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

thanks Reid! i'll give me em a shot! I used those with my SK14 and had decent results, I was just wondering what everyone else used.

your FS is looking good!

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

im going to tape off my graphite, sand the sides with 220, and my primer gets here tuesday! I'm busy overdrilling and filling holes with carbon fiber tubes (thanks Bob aka toadfish!)

jackplate should be here today!

Trailer is coming next week or two!

Now that im going to flip the boat over and work on the inside soon, i have lots of questions!

First off, I decided no center console, I'm going to build a small side console starboard side kinda like what beavertail skiffs offers..

because of that, my weight will tend to be more starboard, i was thinking of putting the starter battery in the portside transom storage, left of the portside stringer....

good idea? bad idea? What's the smallest starter battery I can get away with? manual says 650 mca/512 cca. engine has power tilt and trim, and also has a pull start so if it dies I can just pull start it...

I like this idea because it means I dont need to make the stock battery cables longer, they will reach no problem. also i only plan to use the engines alternator to charge this starter battery, so this is gonna be its own circuit.

I was planning on putting my house battery in the first compartment in the bow (tiny little 24AH lithium battery, it just runs my 7" simrad and some led lights,bilge pump, i just remove it for charging), along with room for maybe a trolling motor battery in there as well down the line (which ill just remove for charging). trolling motor battery would be on its own circuit, I'd keep all the wires and stuff for the trolling motor up there. house battery is gonna run down under starboard gunwhale to fuse box in side console.

2nd storage locker is gonna house the gas tank, and then portside gunwhale is gonna run fuel line down to transom.

i'll draw up a real diagram monday/ tuesday when i get a day off. :doh: :roll: :help: :lol:

so my question was! Whats the smallest starter battery I could get away with? :D