ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man, Fuzz, pee wee, Jeff and Tom! :D

The pics give the impression that Feather Pram is coming together as sufficiently beautiful to need no makeup, just protective oil. But up close, the reality is a little different.

Perhaps 90% of her glued joints are precise enough that they will look fine when oiled. But the remainder have epoxy-glue filled gaps that when oiled will catch and jar the eye.

So I’ve taken a step back to see if there is a rescue option whereby I can use a heat gun and sharp chisel to remove the surface layer of the offending joints and make good with a more aesthetically attractive alternative when oiled.

Yesterday I started doing experimental test strips with alternate epoxy-glue mixtures. I tried various combinations of e-glue and e-filler with sawdust. It turned out the clear winner was straight EZ Quick Fair sans sawdust.

The bottom strip in the pic below shows oil over Quick Fair joints with various degrees of sawdust mixed in, while the circled joint is neat Quick Fair. The top strip shows oiled joints over the e-glue used to construct Feather Pram.

These results are good enough for me. This afternoon I removed visually jarring outer layers of interior joints and made good with neat Quick Fair. I’ll sand things up tomorrow morning and post the pic result.

I'm enjoying the challenges the 'no make up' oiling route is presenting. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Yesterday, using a heat gun and sharp chisel, I worked my way around the interior edges of Feather Pram's bow and stern transoms, removing approximately 1/16" of visible dark brown e-glue from the joints with the planking, and making good with Quick Fair. This morning I sanded the joints fair.

I'm delighted with the rescue results so far on both the bow transom (first pic) and the stern transom (second).

I'm increasingly confident the oiled interior is going to pass muster. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Labor of love!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:24 am Labor of love!
More like labor of redemption. :help:

cape man

Post by cape man »

We all need both.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:40 am We all need both.
:D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

This morning Feather Pram asked that I do a little cosmetic surgery on her bow transom exterior too. Before and after:

Last edited by glossieblack on Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Oooops, double post. Apologies. :oops:
Last edited by glossieblack on Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful work GB!!!!

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

looking good! A little testing pays off to figure out what looks best. And now future boat builders have some ideas to help them out too.