ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

On further investigation I discovered all 8 starboard side 3.2V lithium ion battery cells were still fully charged after a year of neglect, but that all 8 portside ones were fully discharged. The fool who had jury rigged a temporary at anchor light to the portside light had forgotten to turn it off over a year. ago. Don't ask who the fool was. :help:

I now have to work on Skinnydip outdoors, so have waited for clear day before starting to micro-charge (max 0.5A) the depleted cells. First pic shows Skinnydip on her trailer, the second the improvised micro-charger with its alligator clips charging a cell.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

glossieblack wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:30 am Thanks Fuzz, cape man, pee wee, and Tom. :D
cape man wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:29 am How's the stability?

Amazingly good for such a small boat. I lack agility and weigh 200 lbs, so getting in and out of some small craft is a challenge. To board Feather Pram, with oars out od the way, I pull her gunwale amidships into the back of my knees, then gently roll back my fat arse down onto the central thwart See pic below), then swing my legs around and aboard, no drama. Reverse process for getting out. I can stand up in her with confidence, and when rowing she's s, stability in not a concern.
TomW1 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:27 pm What is her draft empty there?

A tad over 3".

Incredible work!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Skinnydip is still one fine looking lady!

About leaving the light on I am pretty sure you are not the first person to make a little boo-boo like that :wink:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful GB!!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

The fool who had jury rigged a temporary at anchor light to the portside light had forgotten to turn it off over a year. ago. Don't ask who the fool was. :help:
It wasn't me!!! I just do things like that here!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Fuzz and cape man for treating my stuff up as little more than minor..

Unfortunately it looks as though I've managed to destroy one half of a 48V 100Ah lithium iron phosphate battery bank that will cost thousands of dollars to replace. Even if I swallow hard and purchase replacements, currently I can't source for love nor money an e-drive techo willing to install and trouble-shoot the replacements.

I need to walk away from this for a time and collect my thoughts.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

can you define "destroy" a bit more clearly?

I ask, because if it is just that the batts are beyond salvage, then it shouldn't me more than swapping out the packs. Given the masterpieces of floatation that you've created, I'm pretty sure you can loosen then tighten a nut with adequacy.

:D
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow GB, I really hate that for you!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB I really feel for you, check with the battery mfg. if you have not already to see if there is a way to recover them. Well sorry for your loss again.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Been thinking about your trials and tribulations with SkinnyDip. It would seem she is like a lot of really good looking gals in that she comes with lots of expense and heartache. I hope you are able to get good use and enjoyment out of her even if the E-drive part has failed to meet the desired goals.