Tallahassee Cardboard Boat Race & Boat Show

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Tallahassee Cardboard Boat Race & Boat Show

Post by cape man »

Good stuff right there!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

So what was the end result?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Thanks guys!
Fuzz wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:51 pm So what was the end result?
Cardboard boats float! They did really well, and we will make the course a little longer next year for the ones they built before. We had 20 teams race, and all have said they are doing it again next year. We are expecting 50 cardboard boats next year.

We made around $1500 and established that Tallahassee needed this race. We were expecting to lose money, so that was a positive. We learned a lot of valuable lessons and had a fun day. Two people say their organization will become sponsors for next year's event. Every current sponsor has said they would go higher next year except for one. We are expecting to raise $10,000 next year.

Next year's race is on April 15th and will be all day. We will use lunch to do a better job of broadcasting our mission and successes as well. We will also use it to raise some more money through raffles.

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

I want to build a boat to race so we'll see how my April is as we get closer lol. Glad y'all did good
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Glad to hear it all worked out. Sounds like you done good! Be neat if this turns out to be one of those things that just gets bigger each year.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Retiring the end of March next year and should be past Tally by April 15th on our way to Deadhorse Alaska, but I may show up spring of 24. Good stuff!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

cape man wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:59 pm Retiring the end of March next year and should be past Tally by April 15th on our way to Deadhorse Alaska, but I may show up spring of 24. Good stuff!
Congratulations! That sounds like a fun trip. We'll take you and Claire and/or Hermine when ya'll can get here!

I'm loving retirement but wish I didn't have to be. The pool was 96* tonight! If I thought it would help, I'd throw ice blocks in the pool. I saw 120* on the heat index yesterday at my house. Crazy weather. A month ago, I had jeans on.

I was staying busy but had to slow down until next year. The Dr. and Mrs. are ready to take my driver's license if I don't. I took a month off, and I am "driving" the wife crazy! I'm ready to get back at it but must go slow until after surgery. I have to go to testing at the end of August for two days. Then they determine if I am a good candidate. :( Then we TRY to schedule 3 brain surgeries by Christmas and hope I don't come out drooling! :doh:

The veteran housing ministry is being put on hold to see what happens. No one wants to move forward if the visionary cannot drive it home. I was in a meeting today and had someone telling me they might have grant money for our project... :wink: We'll see what I can do with the board.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Man you have such good works planned the Doc's just have to succeed in fixing you up!