CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Post by Reid »

Jacques,
Please see the questions below regarding the CT22:

In regard to the CT22 plans, can this model’s plans be converted to strip plank? Below waterline, tunnel, structural, etc I’m assuming calls for 9mm okoume ply? I’d like to use that there… Im curious where the 4mm x 27 sheets comes in. I think model would look fantastic with strip plank hull exterior above the waterline, bow deck and cockpit. The product I’m looking at is:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/ ... trips.html

If this is possible to do, is it also possible to remove those areas from the CNC kit if purchased?

Unrelated to materials, would the foredeck storage compartments have depth for an windlass for a bow anchor? I boat on an inland lake, specifically, Oneida Lake New York, USA. I currently use a hand deployed 15# fluke on 100’ of line for our 20’ cuddy v hull. I think a bow roller going to a thru deck guide to an interior mounted Minn Kota deckhand would work here. A snap in sun pad, stored in the beam box for anchorage would be pleasant.

Is this a self bailing cockpit with bilge pumps in each hull? I like the thought of a centerline transom door to short swim platform and ladder between outboards. Cockpit corner seating and rear facing padding on the beam box would give plenty of room for my family of four. I’m just not sure what kind of weight distribution is planned for in the study guide as the cockpit is empty save the console. I also can’t see how you would tie bar the steering with them so far apart. If you could advise it that is addressed in the actual plans, it would relieve a concern. I know plans are proprietary and don’t want a method, just want to know if the support for a few concerns are addressed.

Do plans include location and density of floatation foam?

Lastly, would the CT22 design work with a standard pontoon boat type trailer? I’m curious how the hulls are supported. I trailer to my county ramp and store on the trailer.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CT22 - Center console Cat 22 - Question

Post by jacquesmm »

Let's first discuss the material: I prefer to stick to plywood. Strip planking is not as strong. It is fine for pretty kayak but not for a hull that may slam in bad weather.. Understand that we use the plywood as the core, the strength comes from the skins.

All other points can be addressed if you accept to use a plywood core but here, quickly some answers:

- the 4 mm is for the fairing.
- windlass and mooring goes in the forward beam. It is very strong and roomy.
- self bailing cockpit, yes. For the hulls, it's up to you: some compartments are or can be sealed.
- steering for wide cats exist, no problem there. Hydraulic would work well.
- Foam location is shown
- no problem with a trailer, a wide pontoon trailer would work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

fyi, ply vs strip is at least 3 months less build time for ply, or more if you are slow at strip planking, if you are fast at strip plank; you may make the 3 months
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

I made an error in the email. My reference to 4mm was supposed to be 6mm. The strip plank would still be a sandwiched wood core above the waterline, just 1/4” x 3/4” strip glued at coves as core between woven glass instead of laminated biaxial ply. Roughly same thickness core, but I understand your response. It’s just not how you designed it. I still planned on using your method with structural and wave contact potential surfaces. My family doesn’t like going out when waves exceed 2 feet, all inland boating.

Thank you for the response on the other questions.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think the light plywood is for the board that goes around the deck and I believe this is what Jacques refers to as a fairing.

But if he has 6mm specified in the plans, the building notes would say the location.

I would never build a boat or order materials without holding the plans..

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

Nor would I, I’m not a marine architect. Plans are a must.

Just merely asking questions to see if the design would give me what I’d want.

I’ve always loved wood boats, there are quite a few around here either restored or replica. More so up the Saint Lawrence and Alexandria Bay.

Interesting note, website called outboard island has some midrange diesel outboards at a good price. Looking at their electronic outboards, none would work with the CT22 until battery weights come down. Some of their 4 strokes under 500# are decently priced.

I have a 30 gallon tank currently, and it’s generally overkill (20’ sea Ray overnighter with a 135hp 40s WOT) for our use so downsizing to two 20s might be an option to pick up some passenger/gear weight.

Looking at seating, there are some pontoon benches that have lean back end add on. This would give lounge style seating port and starboard and leave centerline free to step over transom structure to short swim platform/ladder with arched grab bars as pictured in the study plans. A small step/platform at transom in cockpit would make crossing over easier. A flip back helm seat would allow helm seating to be turned toward passengers at anchor and give storage underneath.

Painting a pretty nice picture in my head.

Nice design work!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

One bit of magic for best comfort is a bit extra under the front legs, but not so much as to cutoff circulation.

If u build it; you'll get lots of advice.

CNYBoater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CNYBoater »

I have no clue what that first bit meant about leg circulation.

Advice is always helpful.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome and good luck on your CT22 build, it is a great looking boat! fallguy is just about finishing up a larger 30+ cat build and will be a wealth of help for you, plus others have built one or more boats and can help on other topics. So do not be afraid to ask, also we love pictures as you build the boat

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'm going to encourage you to be bold. Build the hulls, stringers, transom, and bulkheads to plan with ply and strip plank everything else. Sandwich all the strip planking between woven glass and tape and clear coat it with a good varnish or a UV protecting clear coat. Will take you forever compared to ply wood and paint, but I like your way of thinking. Based on what you say, you're not looking for an offshore boat and if you are going slow people can see it better...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman