Copro's P21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Copro's P21

Post by Copro »

Ok so I broke the rules and jumped right into a big boat. I did build a speargun recently so what the heck. Anyhow thorught I'd relay how things are progressing. I have posted pictures in the gallery of progress so far.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... y&uid=2747

1) I am building corner to corner in the garage, so things are tight. I guess I wondered all along if this would work and my initial impression is yes it is going to work but... If you decide to do this realize you will be limited by space when assembling panel and stringers. You will spend alot of time watching glue dry.

2) When I started putting pieces on the jig I thought I'd save money on c-clamps. No way, silly mistake cost several hours, breakdown and get at least two for every mold/station. Screws just take way too much time.

3) Got excited and thus ahead of myself and put all the stations on at once thinking I could square it up with them all in place. Another silly mistake that wasted lots of time moving each mold back and forth a million times. Follow the directions the first time and put in the transom and a forward frame, square that up and then insert rest. You'll nail it the first time.

4) My kit arrived without the motor wells sides and I thought I could get the angle off the stringer ends. Well I got it close, but when I dry fitted my panels things just did not line up right. Again I got impatient, excited and thus ahead of myself. Eric is overnighting those sides to me so I can continue. As a side note it was frustrating not to get all my parts, but I must say everyone has worked very hard to rectify that situation. If I had started from scratch I would have left overlooked a heck of alot more. All in all customer service has been great and all the pieces have gone together perfect when I did my part right.

So the moral of the story so far, read the directions, re-read them follow every step, no matter how insignificant it might seem. Above all don't compromise, trust the kit and the plans, If it doesn't seem quite right don't try to make it work, cause you screwed up somewhere else. Fix it now before it's a bigger problem. So what if it adds a month to construction time, you'll probably have this boat for years.

nordmann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Copro's P21

Post by nordmann »

Copro wrote: Got excited and thus ahead of myself
Hi

You are not alone... :) And personally, everytime things seem to go smooth I always have to take a break to see if I forget, or screw up something....

Be patient, and build on.
building gv17, D4

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

I am anxious to see a completed P21. If I stay in New England, that could be my next boat.

Great start and please keep us posted on your progress.

Dan

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

You summed it all up right there Copro! Patience...and follow the instructions..if something doesn't fit... 9 out of 10 times it's a mishap you did somewhere else!

Enjoy the excitement of building! :P

..oh yeah: keep them pics coming!

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

Uploaded some new pics. Finally got it all squared up, diagonals of every frame measure within a 1/8 of an inch off the transom. I don't think I can do any better. One side panel flexes off frame C about 1/2 inch, other than that all else point to fairness. Used strings and clamps attached to jig to pull panels to frame, keel line looks very perfectly flat. Clamps allowed me to tighten and loosed to achieve flatness. One side panel wanted to flex off frame c, but I wrapped another string around whole assemble to pull it in. Other than this little oddity everything else seems fair.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Oh man Copro.. I see the biggest problem your going to have....

Wait until you start sanding for weeks on end. Your wife is going to get homicidal if that is the door to the house I see in the pic. ;)

Just as a tip: duct tape that sander to the shop vac..that helps a little..but just a little. Your probably better off duct tape sealing that screen door. :D :lol:

..oh ..and your work..naturally looks great! I'm looking forward to see how your P21 turns out.

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

It's coming right along. Posted a couple new pics of the big chocolate boat. If my dry wall experience is any type of indicator, this fairing thing will take a while.

Jody

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Fairing takes time, but it isn't a big deal. Same as drywall seams. Don't try to do too much at one time. A few thin layers is better than one thick layer.

Use Quick Fair if you can.

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

Thanks for the tip. I have a gallon and half kit on the way.

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »