28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Finally finished sanding. Have started finish primer. Applied in console first and going to work my way out. Finished sanding it today. Was talking to fellow boat builder yesterday and asked him about application of textured finish paint. I have been experimenting with adding glass beads to topcoat and then rolling it on with a roller that I have used for nonskid. It actually looks pretty good. Paul said he has been using a urethane product called Raptor with good results. It’s the stuff that they spray in pickup beds. Thought I would give it a try down in the console. Looking for something that will hide some of the small defects in the not too visible places like under gunnels, bilge, ect. Any experience with this product?

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Might be hard to really see but this is down below
Attachments
9BB407D4-3025-4CC9-A386-D2BEEE5C933D.jpeg
B0509483-E742-4183-B5B1-7B7A47E352B2.jpeg

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Finish primer continues. Doing it a piece at a time
Attachments
7F37EAF0-7C78-465D-AD16-CB75215B3A7F.jpeg
C28055F0-05DC-4AEA-ABB3-CF15E14BFB11.jpeg
666B3E5F-226A-4F68-8380-5F0ED7C365F4.jpeg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You are sure doing some nice work there. I am sure it takes a lot of time but man it is pretty :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fully agree with Fuzz!!!

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Wow!! It's been almost a year since i have posted. Life happens and that often seems to slow things down.

Work on the second boat has continued very slowly but surely. Since my last post there have been several more rounds of primer, sanding, primer... You know the drill. Finally finished with all that and ready to make some noticeable progress.

I started with some of the below deck areas trying a new technique that is being used in some of the Wancheese boatyards. Rather than trying to get everything perfect before painting, they are using a textured spray on finish. After some discussion with some people in the know and a little experimentation I have a receipt that gives a good look and is easy to apply. It uses spray on bed liner. I bought the first kit on amazon and it included the 2 part product, a tint and a spray gun. The product is a little soft even after it dries. The cure for this is to mix the product with the epoxy topcoat that you are planning on using. So i mix the can of product and the harder, mix the topcoat with the converter and mix the two in a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio. I then thinned that with epoxy topcoat reducer by 10 percent. I did not use the tint that came with the bed liner kit. I tried using the gun that came in the bed liner kit but was not impressed with the result and could not spray upside down. I ended up using my HVLP 3M system with the disposable tips and a paint pot. I used the 1.8 tip which is the biggest that they offer. I played with the paint pot pressure and ended up at 12 and then adjusted the output from the gun to get a splatter. At first i used 3 coats to get good coverage. After that I sprayed one coat of topcoat and 2 coats of the bed liner mixture. I came out really nice. A textured finish that is very hard when it cures. I do not have any pictures of it to post but will try to get some that show the effect. I plan on using it on the gunnels. I think it will be too slick to use in the nonskid areas but may add some nonslip and see how that works.

With that done I have moved on to topcoat. Started with the hull. I untaped last night and got the gunnels taped and papered. Will get to that early next week if plans go as hoped. As you can see i created a paint booth in my shop. That was a significant time investment. My neighbor had a couple of huge pine trees felled. I got the logs and milled them with my chain saw mill into 2 x 4s so i did not have to buy a bunch of very expensive lumber.
Attachments
IMG_4526.jpeg
IMG_4528.jpeg
IMG_4533.jpeg
IMG_4531.jpeg
Last edited by Mbiggerstaff on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

It looks good, but the transom wasn't painted same color, or progress pic?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

The pix were out of order, now in order.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You do such great work. Are you using positive fresh air mask or just respirator?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

For open spaces like hull I use just respirator. For enclosed spaces I use positive pressure. With hvlp it not as bad as it used to be in the old days