ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by TomW1 »

Well thought out GB. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jeff and Tom. And Tom it was well thought out by the designer Iain Oughtred, not this builder.

I spent time today on Great Sandy checking the navigation and communication electronics - the two independent chart plotters, autopilot, AIS, depth, two VHF radios, and HF radio. All good with the exception of a glitch in one of the chart plotters, which I'll hopefully sort out tomorrow.

Back home I roughly fashioned a hardwood chock for Great Sandy's foredeck to house the bow transom of an upturned Feather Pram. Two existing chocks on GS's foredeck will house FP's stern transom. I slapped a thick undercoat on the chock which l'll sand down tomorrow before applying another undercoat.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Cruising on the horizon!

Are you using AIS recover only or do you have a transponder as well? All the AUS boats I’ve seen locally are big water running and have transponders. Wasn’t sure if that was normal or just big water insurance requirement.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Sounds like you're getting closer to mid-July take off. Hope the chart plotter problem is minor. Jaysen I am sure GB has a full AIS system. We discussed this a couple of years ago. But I will let him answer. GB good work for the Pram.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen and Tom. :D

Having Great Sandy ready for a mid July departure is looking promising, but it's only going to be possible if the sea-state is benign, as the tides this time of year are scarcely more than Great Sandy's draft, and the Noosa bar is still dominated by shoals.

Jaysen, Great Sandy's AIS is VHF-based and allows us to see them, and them to see us. It's a wonderful piece of safety gear. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I'm predicting that you'll make it out and with a gleaming new oiled dingy on the deck. :D
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Ha, I gave Feather Pram a fresh coat of oil yesterday. :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

glossieblack wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:56 am Ha, I gave Feather Pram a fresh coat of oil yesterday. :D
You better take that oil with you, or you won't be happy with her looks after a couple of weeks in the sun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:47 am You better take that oil with you, or you won't be happy with her looks after a couple of weeks in the sun. :lol: :lol: :lol: Tom
I'm taking a litre of Deks Olje #1 with us.

I suspect that given the tropical sun exposure, she'll need to be re-oiled every month or so, for structural, not cosmetic, maintenance.

Came aboard Great Sandy this afternoon to routine maintenance check and grease the rudder bearing assembly, wheel steering assembly, and anchor windlass.

All good except for anchor windlass. It was working fine when we finished cruising seven months ago, so likely an electrical connection fault. Will trouble shoot it tomorrow.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’ve been finding dialectic grease is my savior. It’s messy but any splice, terminal or other connection gets a dab a grease at the junction then either heat shrink or taped. Heat shrink takes two rounds… one over the joint and grease, second over the first. Since I started doing that nothing done with that method has failed. Some of those connections are “wet” in saltwater (bilge). Might be worth a try.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.