Kiwi tinting

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Kiwi tinting

Post by Edd »

Has anyone tried tinting kiwi grip? The color selection is very limited, but the manufacturer says it can be easily tinted.

I’m gonna go with kiwi grip on my lm18 after considering the soft sand method. I tried soft sand last week on my sk14 repair and it will not cure. Pics attached. It seems to absorb a ton of paint too. I’m not sure if it’s the humidity or what. But if you rub your hand across the soft sand area you’ll get paint on your hand even several days after just one seal coat. I did soft sand method on the front deck and switched to tred tex on the sole. Same method for both materials. The tred tex worked perfect. Cured in 24hrs. But it’s really aggressive. So, the plan is to go with kiwi on the lm 18 tinted to match my top coat.
7E7A81B3-93E6-4017-9C9E-6618DA1475A4.jpeg
F642E6B1-F673-441E-B0BB-3835D6CE3468.jpeg
6AA4B2AD-16BC-4247-9D95-34A36A209CC0.jpeg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Kiwi tinting

Post by fallguy1000 »

I had the SW guy tint mine for me and gave him a $20 gift card for lunch.

Make sure he gives you the colorant card.

Kiwigrip does wear off, so plan to redo it. I am a little worried about the redo, if it will get super thick. I expect to redo it once a year.

It also does not stick at all much to any unprepared areas, so anywhere polurethane 2 parts hit needs some agressive sanding.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I am not a great fan of Kiwi Grip either for the reason Dan gave. Jeff sells this product in the store https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... e-1-pound/ Mix in your first coat of paint and then over coat with another layer or two to get the get the grip you want. It will last as long as the paint.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

TomW1, thanks for the kind words about us but we stopped selling Kiwi Grip about 2 years ago. You can buy it on Amazon with free shipping cheaper than I could buy it by the pallet!! Just Crazy!!! Jeff

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Thanks for the responses. The opinion on durability seems to be across the board. I read on another post a builder said he’s gotten ten years out of his. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of negative stuff online either. Good reviews on Amazon. So it seems pretty durable from what I’ve read. Just based on online research and fishing through the forum. Just saying. I couldn’t find any discussion on tinting to match the topcoat though.

The stuff is pretty cost effective too. After practicing on my sk14 ( getting it pretty to sell) I see that you use quite a lot of paint to seal whatever material you choose to broadcast in the paint. I’m using alexseal top coat. It’s expensive, not the most expensive, but stupid expensive. Plus where I put the kiwi there doesn’t need to be topcoat under it. Making the paint go further.

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Edd wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:10 pm Thanks for the responses. The opinion on durability seems to be across the board. I read on another post a builder said he’s gotten ten years out of his. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of negative stuff online either. Good reviews on Amazon. So it seems pretty durable from what I’ve read. Just based on online research and fishing through the forum. Just saying. I couldn’t find any discussion on tinting to match the topcoat though.

The stuff is pretty cost effective too. After practicing on my sk14 ( getting it pretty to sell) I see that you use quite a lot of paint to seal whatever material you choose to broadcast in the paint. I’m using alexseal top coat. It’s expensive, not the most expensive, but stupid expensive. Plus where I put the kiwi there doesn’t need to be topcoat under it. Making the paint go further.
Just clarifying, I’m going to use alexseal on the lm18. I’m using total boat wet edge on the sk14

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I am very happy with the Kiwigrip that I used in my boat. I would not think that tinting would be a problem, although using a contrasting colour looks good also IMO. I used light grey Kiwigrip over white floor. I agree with Fallguy on agressive prep if overcoating polyurethane paint.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Edd wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:12 pm
Edd wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:10 pm Thanks for the responses. The opinion on durability seems to be across the board. I read on another post a builder said he’s gotten ten years out of his. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of negative stuff online either. Good reviews on Amazon. So it seems pretty durable from what I’ve read. Just based on online research and fishing through the forum. Just saying. I couldn’t find any discussion on tinting to match the topcoat though.

Just clarifying, I’m going to use alexseal on the lm18. I’m using total boat wet edge on the sk14
Is it the Alexseal that is taking so long to dry?

cape man

Post by cape man »

I know boats that have 15 years with Kiwi Grip . Chlorine clean up works great.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Edd wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:12 pm

Is it the Alexseal that is taking so long to dry?
No it’s total boat wet edge on the sk14. I’ll be using Alexseal on the lm18.