ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by BarraMan »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 am
Fuzz wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:38 am :lol:
I do notice there sure seems to be a lot of bars in the places you sail. Is that the norm for your coasts?
I was all, "I don't see any alchohol serving establishments in these pics..."
I need a drink. Or maybe I need fewer drinks? Either way I need something!
I suspect Great Sandy is well stocked! :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Out on the reef. Stunning. Very poor and only occasional internet comms,. Will post pics and account when back in range.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

We've been exploring out on the Great Barrier Reef, delighted by the clear aquamarine water and the colours of the coral reefs.

When suddenly we struck and were stuck on an isolated coral bommie - port and starboard pics below.

While we waited for the flood tide to float us of, an initial assessment indicated that we were taking on water, but that so long as the bilge pump held up, we would not sink.

We jury rigged two additional electrical bilge pumps in case the primary one failed during the night and day it would take us to motor back to Bundaberg Port Marina to be hauled out for repairs.

We're now safely back, and will be hauled out tomorrow morning. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

We've been exploring out on the Great Barrier Reef, delighted by the clear aquamarine water and the colours of the coral reefs.

When suddenly we struck and were stuck on an isolated coral bommie - port and starboard pics below.

While we waited for the flood tide to float us of, an initial assessment indicated that we were taking on water, but that so long as the bilge pump held up, we would not sink.

We jury rigged two additional electrical bilge pumps in case the primary one failed during the night and day it would take us to motor back to Bundaberg Port Marina to be hauled out for repairs.

We're now safely back, and will be hauled out tomorrow morning. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Question: What do those two great marine navigators Capt Michael Glossie and Capt James Cook have in common? :doh: 8O
Answer: They both hit the Great Barrier Reef! :help: :lol:

All jokes aside, sorry to hear of your troubles and glad you are still afloat and back to safety, Michael! I hope the damage to Great Sandy is relatively minor.
Don't hesitate to let me know if I can do anything to help you - I don't have anything much in my diary for the next few weeks!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Ouch! Have they hauled it out?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow GB, glad you guys are safe!!!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You might want to get some of this.https://www.pettitpaint.com/products/ep ... /splash-zo
It is pretty amazing stuff. All the work boats around here keep some onboard.

Hate to learn of this setback sure might mess up your adventure :cry:

Splash Zone - Pettit Paint
https://www.pettitpaint.com

First link did not work but the second one gets you close. You want SplashZone. Two part epoxy puddy that will set up even under water. Grab a hand full of each part and kneed them together. You will get a color change and then apply.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dang GB sorry to hear this. Hope the damage is minor and did not damage inside either and won't set you back long. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Good luck, glad you made it back safe.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146