NE FL FS18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

NE FL FS18

Post by STĀSalty »

Well, it’s game on, folks!
FS18, straight sheer, rounded chine.
Took me about a year and a half of forum stalking to finally pull the trigger. Was dead set on building the SK14, then I was double dang sure I wanted the FS14… yeah better 10% that sucker. Big thanks to Cameron and Jeff for talking me through some of the ins and outs of that boat. Then it happened. I put hands on SeaSlugs FS18. I think I knew I was going to build that boat but I just didn’t know I knew it yet. Crunched the material numbers for the FS14 +10% and they were really close to the FS18. Crap. That’s when it for real hit me. I’m going to have to build the 18 and I had better hurry up and buy the materials before I decide on a boat too big for the garage! Besides, Seaslug said I could blame it all on him. Done! Made the pilgrimage to BBC on 29 July and picked up just what is called for on the BOM knowing I’ll be back for more. A big thank you to Reid and Hannah for all the help, walk through of the shop and the boat talk. Y’all are awesome!
School has finally returned so the wife and kids are begrudgingly back to the grind and I get some time to get this thing started!
With plenty of family obligations I don’t anticipate this being a quick build but I’m good with that. Build plan is to keep things simple. Manual tilt and trim tiller 20hp. No console. Biggest splurge will be the diy hatches built like Seaslug and others have done. It will be fun to come back to this post later in the build and see how simple I really keep it.
Lastly I just want to give a mega thank you to Mike (Seaslug) for all the help and generosity! If you didn’t already know, he’s good people.

Posting on my phone so not really sure if the pic thing is going to work. I’ll get it sorted though.

Last edited by STĀSalty on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NE FL FS18

Post by Jeff »

Look forward to watching your build!!! Jeff

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

Almost finished up the strongback today. Still need to add some cross bracing to stop it from racking. Hoping to get that finished and start the layout process next week. 16’L x 30”W x 23”H
I didn’t mention in my first post but this will be a father son build. My son is 10 and in serious need of some “get off the videos and get your hands dirty”. Some of my most fond memories of my father was our time in his wood shop building things. I’m hoping to do the same for my boy. Besides, he is begging me to build a boat and go fishing. Who am I to deny the kid a couple of life’s greatest pleasures. If I’m being honest, it’s some selfishness on my part spending time with him too.
Attachments
89D34BE5-2C75-4582-83E8-907998FE227F.jpeg
ADB0D203-FA8F-4889-9EBC-EDE36DA6B122.jpeg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Hey welcome to the fun. Making this a father son project is a great thing to do. Kids need to learn how to do things with their hands that does not include a phone. You may or may not know how lucky you are knowing Mike. Not only good people but one of the very best builders in a group of great builders. There is a reason BBC bought one of his builds to take to the boat shows.

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

quote=Fuzz post_id=502622 time=1660514062 user_id=54067]
Hey welcome to the fun. Making this a father son project is a great thing to do. Kids need to learn how to do things with their hands that does not include a phone. You may or may not know how lucky you are knowing Mike. Not only good people but one of the very best builders in a group of great builders. There is a reason BBC bought one of his builds to take to the boat shows.
[/quote]

Hey, Fuzz. I couldn’t agree more about getting our kids off the screens and doing something. I prefer working with my hands and being outdoors so that’s what he gets to do. :D

Believe me when I say the fact that Seaslug is right down the road and his willingness to help a newbie is NOT lost on me. I think I’m triple lucky to have my son with me, a wife that humors my compulsions and of course Mike.

Hey Mike, if you’re out there, I may not know how to build a boat yet but I do know how to wash them… and trucks. Just sayin. :wink:
Last edited by STĀSalty on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Thanks John and Dave for the kind words. I haven't posted much for quite some time, but have not been idle. Refurbished a 7' dingy, finished Scott's Conchfish 16, and did a total rebuild of a shack I purchased 2 years ago. I'll eventually post some photos. John, get with me when you have time, possibly this weekend and we can talk more about your build. I fished Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. 3 beautiful mornings in the marsh, with a handful of Red's and Snook landed. Got my first fish on fly, a small Snook, so may as well quit working now and start playing golf, followed up by regular visits with a shrink.

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

Looking forward to seeing progress. I found it helpful to create a schedule of sorts to basically hold myself accountable. Make it small, for instance, "i'm going to stitch the boat on Monday and Tuesday. Then Wednesday I'll start the filets, etc. Made my build finish pretty quick. Good luck!
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Great meeting you all in person! Good luck on the build!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

STĀSalty
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by STĀSalty »

Good call, wp. By day I’m a Production Planner so I should be able to work something out and you’re right, little bites are the key.

Same to you, Reid. Having your pup at the shop was icing on the cake for my son.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Careful not to glue that dog to the floor.

Enjoy your build. We’ll enjoy watching.

Jbo