C19 with a tiller...

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 with a tiller...

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Mercury big tiller has power assist and a hydraulic lock so there's zero torque on your arm. Only way I'd go for anything over 70hp.

Toms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Toms »

Then that starts the new subject of Yamaha vs Mercury - and I have a feeling that has been beat to death on this site! ;-)
I'm leaning toward the Yamaha because I have a little 15hp 4 stroke Yamaha on a little duck boat I built about 20 years ago. Never had a bit of problem with that little kicker and still starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull even after sitting for a few months. On the other hand, I have a Mercury Optimax 115 on my Mako that has caused me stress, confusion and cost $$$ a couple of times every season. I KNOW they both make great motors - I've just had more "fool proof" reliability from my Yamaha than from my Merc. That said - I wish Yamaha would copy the features (you highlighted) of the Merc Big Tiller before I have to buy the motor for this new boat! LOL

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'd consider the big tiller a absolutely essential safety feature. Otherwise I'd put a Yamaha 75hp-100hp on her and install a small side console just a metre or two forward of the transom. Very little internal space lost. But I suppose it depends on how strong your arms are, and how well the motor is set up to zero out the torque on the plane.

There are some other options though:

https://www.tillerassist.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The Optimax was dead in the water from the day it was designed. Now all Mercury sells is 4sts and they ar very reliable. You have your choice of 3 models, Pro XS, Sea Pro, or Four Stroke, all are good motors. You will see the Pro XS on the Bass tournament boats. Several of the guys on here have gone with Mercs and have had no problems with the new motors.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Toms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Toms »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:23 pm I'd consider the big tiller a absolutely essential safety feature. Otherwise I'd put a Yamaha 75hp-100hp on her and install a small side console just a metre or two forward of the transom. Very little internal space lost. But I suppose it depends on how strong your arms are, and how well the motor is set up to zero out the torque on the plane.

There are some other options though:

https://www.tillerassist.com
I've briefly checked into the Tiller Assist unit, but not in depth research yet. I need to get a get handle on how difficult it is to add one after the fact. Again, trying to keep things simple/minimal to start, then add items as I identify they are required. I do understand that sometimes these items will be smarter, easier and often less expensive to add from the get-go - but don't want to add stuff before I feel I need it... when possible. Maybe more reason for me to look at the Merc with an open mind...

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

A lot of folks are still swearing at Mercs. Currently chasing bad coils on a verado. Lower seals on a different verado. I know of many others. I don’t think the failure rate of Yamaha is “lower” on motors that are used like most of the mercs are, I think you don’t have repeated failures (aka higher quality parts). I don’t have a good answer on which is better. I just can’t think of reason other than significant savings that would get me to buy a Merc.

For the record I own 2. Old ones.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen doesn't sound like a lot of folks but only 2 Verado's. Toms there are 3 motor builders out there with almost the same reliability numbers. All of them can build a dog on a bad day out of the factory but those are few and far between and are usually caught before they leave for the dealer. They are in alpha order Merc, Suzuki, Yamaha. I have no favorites among them, they are all good motors. In my neck of the woods Merc is dominant, then Suzuki. Same out at our cabin on the Mississippi. Have not seen a Yamaha in 20 years in either place. But Yamahas are great motors, and I highly can recommend them as I have a 75HP 2st on my OD18.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

I'll put my cards on the table - I am currently a card carrying Yamaha man. I have two of them, a 40 hp 4 stroke and a 250 vmax SHO 4 stroke. They have both served me well and I luv'em. In the past I have owned Mercs and Suzukis!

My fishing buddy, who is a former pro-fisher and ticketed O/B mechanic, currently runs a Yamaha dealership but is a very honest broker if asked a question. He says that in the past Mercs have had a bad reputation but the new generation Mercs are impressive motors. Yamahas have legendary reliability are are favoured by commercial fishers in this part of the world. He says they have the best anti-corrosion by far. Suzukis are also good motors by have corrosion issues. Obviously not an issue if you are running in fresh water!

As I have said before, its a bit like, "Are you a GM, Ford or Chrysler man? !!! 8O :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think TomW1 is freshwater. Barraman and I are salt. Yamaha is the most common motors by far here.

TomW, I know mentioned the ones I’m working with right now. These motors are repeat offenders. There are more. It’s telling to me that the only Merc shop in the area is 8mo wait for motor work. The Yamaha shop is 3 weeks. Looking at our 200slip marina there are only small Merc outboards on a 3 sailboats. Every other outboard on any boat is Yamaha or Honda. I agree that Merc motors are much more reliable in the last decade, but they still seem to have a lower adoption and higher rate of time in the shop IN MY AREA. Salt may be a factor in that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Salt vs. fresh may be a factor but I have seen some pretty big Merc's on saltwater boats also. that go years without problems. I guess it is just the luck of the draw and the upkeep, like maybe flushing after docking is more important with a Merc, I do not know what the answer is, but agree with Jaysen you see a lot more of our guys putting Yamaha's and Suzuki's on in saltwater than Merc's. Though some do put Merc's on.

Tom