GV17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Aussie Guy
New Poster
New Poster

Re: GV17

Post by Aussie Guy »

Maybe someone could point me to a online boatbuilding forum where someone can answer questions? Been a couple of days now and nothing besides a few clowns with negative comments when I said I was building a tiny houseboat. People spewing nonsense with no idea of actual plans. Cabin height, motor power etc. If you can troll you don't need 30hp. Nobody planes at the boat ramp. A boat will push along nicely in a estuary or calm bay with low hp. A cabin 1m high on this boat is fine. That's why I was hesitant to join after reading responses for months. Anyway I'll work it out and post pics of build in a few months. Take care folks 👍

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Aussie Guy,

Evan is a naval architect who has designed several hulls for BBC. His concern for you plan should not be dismissed. Note he provided some suggestions and some qualifications. I believe your reply was not specific enough for further comment.

I believe a couple of napkin drawings showing your proposed hard structure and heights would provide Evan more data with which to formulate recommendations.

That said, build away.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Running a planing hull just at the hump would drive me a bit batty, but you can find out on your own.

Lotsa people put cabins on too small boats, but the consequences are poor trim; impossible to see to drive...

Guys are looking out for you, but you don't know it. The best top for a gv17 would be a snap on camper shell. If you want to sleep or lay down; you just put a standup pipe in the front and snap a cover all around.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5c/6a/5f/5c6a ... fab70f.jpg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Aussie Guy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:00 am Would anyone here give me the list of tools needed. I have basics like circular saw, jigsaw, multi tool, and multiple sanders etc. Looking at plans and curves what items are needed there to trace out onto ply and name of them? Sorry not a woodworker. Mechanics is my thing. I realize I will need to buy a lot of clamps etc. All fiberglass stuff comes in package with rollers etc. My main concern it getting it cut right to begin with.
Different tools are used by different people. Not everyone will use the same stuff, so hard to give a definitive list. I'm not big on giving advice, but the one thing that probably helped me more than anything else at the start was reading (and re-reading) Sam Devlin's book. It was recommended by Jacques and some of the methods will be different to what you may end up using. However, it has the basics - lists of tools, design characteristics, different build methods, etc.etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Devlins-Building ... 1260467678

I built my first boat last year and am on the second now - it has been a lot of fun. I've learned a lot but it took a fair bit of research and reading myself as well as getting advice from others.

You may have seen the tutorials you can find here - they also helped.

https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/tutorials/

especially Stitch & Glue 101 - a detailed walk-through of a simple build - it shows how you mark off the curves, etc, plus other things. A small boat, but it is a decent introduction.

Good luck with your build.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Aussie Guy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:36 am Maybe someone could point me to a online boatbuilding forum where someone can answer questions? Been a couple of days now and nothing besides a few clowns with negative comments when I said I was building a tiny houseboat. People spewing nonsense with no idea of actual plans. Cabin height, motor power etc. If you can troll you don't need 30hp. Nobody planes at the boat ramp. A boat will push along nicely in a estuary or calm bay with low hp. A cabin 1m high on this boat is fine. That's why I was hesitant to join after reading responses for months. Anyway I'll work it out and post pics of build in a few months. Take care folks 👍
Aussie Guy you are getting your questions answered right here. Evan is a Naval Architect and answered your question on your cabin. If you build it like you want it will be to high and cause problems with possible over tilting on the sides as it is only 6'7" wide. For your information this is a boat builders forum. Many on here have built more than 1 boat and can offer you all the help you need. Well good luck on your build and keep us posted with pictures.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Fallboy - I did design the GV10/11/13 and helped draft the 15 so understandable you'd be confused.

Aussieguy - sounds like you understand how weight up high is bad. 1m high is fine. A higher pop-top like a Catalina 22 sailboat with canvas sides, that you can use in calm flat anchored waters will be OK especially if you have a lot of heavy gear down low.

I'm sort of hesitant to suggest more because the next guy reads this and says well I'll just make it 2m high, 10mm plywood top and 12mm sides, and stand up in it and "she'll be right."

For tools you have all you need. I find a big RO 6" sander is very helpful and much more useful than a 5" RO.

You'll need maybe a dozen small G or spring clamps. Cheap ones, open about 50mm. Some gloves, scissors you don't care about for cutting fiberglass, mixing cups (save those yoghurt containers), some disposable brushes and some body filler squeegees. Important - the plans will specify the type of fiberglass to use. Mostly biaxial tape and fabric (double-bias to Aussies). Don't be buying no mat.

Tutorials - lots are available for free here:
https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/tutorials/
- drawing curves for the hull https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... w-them.pdf
- motorwell details https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... etails.pdf

There used to be one on laying out curved hull panels from the plans, but I can't find it. Anybody else see where I'm missing it?

You also started talking about a slow, non-planing boat. An 8 or 9.9 is fine for that. Nothing more is needed. Now you're talking 25? If you go fast, stability in turns starts to get important too.

I'd love to see your napkin sketch. Take a photo with your phone and upload it.

Finally where do you live? I lived in Brisbane for 2-1/2 years and then sailed north up over the top to Darwin before heading to Indonesia. But work also got me to Newcastle, Sydney, Airlie Beach, Perth etc.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

One thing to consider is to lower the sole by removing part of the sole in the cabin to gain stability and headroom, for instance in the middle between the stringers. Of course the boat won't be self bailing any longer so you have to make your cabin watertight and use a bilge pump. The sole is pretty high on the GV17.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.