Sail & Mast questions

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sail & Mast questions

Post by Jeff »

This question arrived via email: "A couple very elementary sail and mast questions:
I see sail patterns from Bolger for a spritsail that have horizontal panels, but you advise using vertical panels, what is difference between the two orientations and why one over the other?

I know it’s a guide, not a rule, but, I have a 10’ tender I plan to add a sail to, the recommendation (generally) is to have a 12’ mast, but the luff of several spritsail patterns is closer to 7’, leading me to think a 7-8’ mast was adequate for a boat this size, is it because the peak extends above the luff that is why a 12’ mast be more within “range”?

Am very inexperienced, so I can only learn more as I ask questions." Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Sail & Mast questions

Post by mhd »

Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:48 am This question arrived via email: "A couple very elementary sail and mast questions:
I see sail patterns from Bolger for a spritsail that have horizontal panels, but you advise using vertical panels, what is difference between the two orientations and why one over the other?

I know it’s a guide, not a rule, but, I have a 10’ tender I plan to add a sail to, the recommendation (generally) is to have a 12’ mast, but the luff of several spritsail patterns is closer to 7’, leading me to think a 7-8’ mast was adequate for a boat this size, is it because the peak extends above the luff that is why a 12’ mast be more within “range”?

Am very inexperienced, so I can only learn more as I ask questions." Jeff
I'm guessing this is the recommendation being talked about:

https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... it-rig.pdf

"For larger sprit sails, we show a reef line on our sail plans. BTW, despite what some of our drawings show, a sprit sail should be cut with vertical panels."

I had a look in "100 small boat rigs" by Bolger. On "Rig 25: Spritsail with Sprit Boom" he states "93 sq ft is set on a mast 12 feet long wtih a 13 foot sprit". To my mind that is a lot (too much!) for a 10' tender and I think you could get away with a shorter mast (~8') which would still provide ~60 sq ft of sail depending on height of sprit.

I've been going to make a sail of almost this exact size for the past year for our FB11 and just haven't had the time (plus now we're building the VG23 I can't get the other boat out of the garage!). There is a complete design for a sprit sail in "The Sailmaker's Apprentice" and all the illustrations of sprit sails in that book have the panels cut vertically, although it doesn't state the reason why.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.