ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack »

Great Sandy returned to Noosa on November 1st after a relaxing 6 month cruise to and from Lizard Island in Far North Tropical Queensland, Australia.
It was nice having enough time to be able to passage when the weather was favourable, or hole up and read or eat, drink and entertain when it was not.
Great Sandy required no more than routine maintenance throughout.
The week before returning to Noosa she was hauled out for a bottom clean and antifoul, a topsides wax and polish, and a graphics refresh.
She's now on her mooring in the Noosa River.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

And there you have it! Awesome journey.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Great Sandy looks like a rocket sled in that picture.
Very happy to learn you had a great trip and all are safe at home now. Many of us worry if we don't hear from you in a while :wink:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Glad to hear your safe and sound at home. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Good that you came back home safely, and looking forward to your next adventures !
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks capeman, Fuzz, Tom and Oliver. :D

The child bride and I are some of the few yachties in our late seventies still doing serious cruising sea miles up and down the east coast of Australia.

This year we left out full size spinnaker pole at home, and we took instead a cut-down spinnaker pole to prop outGreat Sandy's inner foresail (staysail) when heading downwind with heavy winds and seas on an aft quarter. The poled out staysail ends up almost square to the centreline of the boat, and the boat flies downhill.

What a hoot. On heavy weather days, the young guns in other boats had their full-length spinaker poles propping out their big headsails, while us old farts had our small pole propping out our small inner headsail.

As the wind and following seas built up, we were under contol, often they were not.

We'd sail past them, and at the end-of-day anchorage drinks, jwe'd oke that old age and cunning at times best youth.

The cut down spinnaker pole is stored on the mast, as seen in the pic in the previous post.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great GB!! You guys are professionals!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:06 am Thanks capeman, Fuzz, Tom and Oliver. :D

The child bride and I are some of the few yachties in our late seventies still doing serious cruising sea miles up and down the east coast of Australia.

This year we left out full size spinnaker pole at home, and we took instead a cut-down spinnaker pole to prop outGreat Sandy's inner foresail (staysail) when heading downwind with heavy winds and seas on an aft quarter. The poled out staysail ends up almost square to the centreline of the boat, and the boat flies downhill.

What a hoot. On heavy weather days, the young guns in other boats had their full-length spinaker poles propping out their big headsails, while us old farts had our small pole propping out our small inner headsail.

As the wind and following seas built up, we were under contol, often they were not.

We'd sail past them, and at the end-of-day anchorage drinks, jwe'd oke that old age and cunning at times best youth.

The cut down spinnaker pole is stored on the mast, as seen in the pic in the previous post.
Great story, I knew Great Sandy would be taking the flag when you mentioned "young guns". Even when anchored she looks like she is ready for a race.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It amazes me that you and Mrs GB are still making long sailing trips. Most sailors have aged out and into power boats when they were 20-30 years younger than you guys. I am sure you leave lots of crews shaking their heads wondering how the old guys left the kids in their wake. :lol: :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GB, you have a great boat for you to cruise with the two of you. The boat you have makes cruising easier than another would. I am so glad you are able to get out and able to do so. The pictures you send to us are great and an inspiration. I turned 71 in September and have been having tests ever since to determine on what is going on with me plus spine surgery to straighten out my lower part of my spine in October. Been through 2 Ct scans and still feel like hell. Back doing Pt hoping to strengthen my muscular areas.

Many regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978