XF20 build questions.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Captrichc
New Poster
New Poster

XF20 build questions.

Post by Captrichc »

Good afternoon all, I just purchased the XF20 plans and I am really excited to get started. i have a few questions about the plans,
1. on the stringers and molds page, when cutting the knees how far up do you start the 1" inset cut?
2. how many of each stringer do i need to cut? i thought i read that the
2. is there a way to build the lite version, without the second seat? ill be using this for duck hunting and want as much room as possible.
3. on the stations page, are the notches all 3/4 wide?
4. are there measurements for the mold? did i miss them?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XF20 build questions.

Post by Reid »

Captrichc,

1. The notch starts 1-7/8" from the BL.
2. The XF20 has two stringers. The stringers are made from two layers of 9mm (3/8") with the seams offset. Page B233/9 shows this.
3. The light version does not have a sole or side decks. These parts are crucial to the hull integrity/stiffness. In order to make up for the lack of these parts, the "light" version has a rear seat and mid seat. These frames and seat tops need to be in place.
4. The notches are 3/4" wide. (make them slightly wider than 3/4" so the stringers slide in easily) Basically, you need to make them wide enough to fit the thickness of the stringers.
5. Molds are also called Stations. Page B233/6 is the page you are looking for. Page B233/16 will give you some guidance when making your molds.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Captrichc
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Captrichc »

Reid wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:42 pm Captrichc,

1. The notch starts 1-7/8" from the BL.
2. The XF20 has two stringers. The stringers are made from two layers of 9mm (3/8") with the seams offset. Page B233/9 shows this.
3. The light version does not have a sole or side decks. These parts are crucial to the hull integrity/stiffness. In order to make up for the lack of these parts, the "light" version has a rear seat and mid seat. These frames and seat tops need to be in place.
4. The notches are 3/4" wide. (make them slightly wider than 3/4" so the stringers slide in easily) Basically, you need to make them wide enough to fit the thickness of the stringers.
5. Molds are also called Stations. Page B233/6 is the page you are looking for. Page B233/16 will give you some guidance when making your molds.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Reid
Thanks for the reply, what if I did the full just without the center console and used a tiller engine? Would I be able to shorten the rear casting platform?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

I don't see an issue with running a tiller on the full version. I think the sole would be more comfortable anyway. Better than tripping over the stringers.
I think shortening the aft deck would be an issue. The frames are positioned according to the designer's calculations and moving them could have an effect on hull integrity.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Captrichc
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Captrichc »

Ok. I can live with that then. I'll just add a chair and make the blind higher. But im still confused with the knees cut. I also am trying to figure out how to post a photo. Lol

Captrichc
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Captrichc »

Reid wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:31 pm I don't see an issue with running a tiller on the full version. I think the sole would be more comfortable anyway. Better than tripping over the stringers.
I think shortening the aft deck would be an issue. The frames are positioned according to the designer's calculations and moving them could have an effect on hull integrity.
-Reid
Ok. I can live with that then. I'll just add a chair and make the blind higher. But im still confused with the knees cut. I also am trying to figure out how to post a photo. Lol

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Captrichc,

I have sent you an email with the updated XF20 plans. The plans show the missing transom knee dimension. Please check your email, everything should make sense now.

Thank you,
Reid
- Steven Wright