OD 16 Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Pudgey1922
New Poster
New Poster

OD 16 Questions

Post by Pudgey1922 »

Hello,
I am in the process of building the Od16 and have a couple of questions:

1: the builders notes I have still seem to describe the step chine not the slanted chine. Are there notes for the slanted chine?

2: the lamination schedule says two layers of biax on the chines by the depiction shows on layer on the upper seam and one on the lower seam overlapping in the middle. Should there be 4 strips or 2 strips total at the chine to get two layers everywhere and 4 layers in the middle

3: the panel seam description says biax on each side. Does that mean each side of the seam or each side of the panel? The notes for the bottom seemed to leave glassing the seams until after the bottom was attached which would not allow for biax on both sides of the panel.

4: is the chine tied into the sole with biax or just tied into the side with biax once it is installed?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OD 16 Questions

Post by OrangeQuest »

To maybe answer #2 and #3, the way I understand the plans. I will say if the plans state to put two layers on a seam you do not stack them but off set them with that overlap over the seam. It will give you a strong seam and with the overlap being offset, easier and less sanding. Then if it states to put overlapping layers on both sides, then that would be on the inside and the outside of the seams.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OD 16 Questions

Post by pee wee »

Again only part of the answer, but for #2 you follow the lamination schedule, that takes precedence over any illustrations that might have been simplified for clarity.
Hank