BASIC electrical system info.

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: BASIC electrical system info.

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 pm Okay Jaysen.

How does a submarine communicate with a surface vessel?

cuz I wanna know
I don't know if it has changed with the new subs but when I was in the Navy subs raised an antenna on specified time periods that varied. But remember that was many years ago.

Tom

t
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

VLF antenna towed from behind the sub...for receiving encrypted signals. Code book or similar on board to look at what the signals mean.

There are various VLF transmitters around the world - very high powered. East and west coasts of the US. UK, Hawaii, Norway, etc. Any nation needing to communicate with subs at distance needs one so the sub doesn't have to surface.

Did some work on that stuff back in the mists of time. You can actually get a laptop to detect these VLF signals (10s of kHz) via the soundcard...

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

So, pardon my ignorance if I’m asking “how long is a string”, but how much/how many times would a fully charged car battery charge my iPhone without “adding” charge? ie. How do I figure that? If I started with a fully charged deep cycle battery, how much/how many times would it fully charge my phone before it wouldn’t charge it any more if that was the only draw?

A formula with an example would be better than a strict answer, as I realize a couple of factors would be in play(though I wouldn’t complain about an educated specific answer).

Thanks.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Deleting double post.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

2 amps for an iPhone less the loss of the 12v to 5v converter. Best way though is to hookup your charging system, including a discharged phone, then measure the draw. Then calculate how long you can draw that time the battery before reaching the shutoff voltage for the charger (nominal for most is about 9.2v using lm305 “dumb” converters).

Now that isn’t the whole story. My wife will not charge her phone without using it. That INCREASES the draw and reduces the available “number of charges”… a lot.

There should be just enough there to be less helpful than you’d like. I’ve had 1 too many fermented beverages to remember the exact math. Should be able to find the formula on Google though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Hahaha. Thanks, Jaysen. Me too.

Jbo