repairing gap in keel/hull

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jcat
New Poster
New Poster

repairing gap in keel/hull

Post by jcat »

I finished stitching a gv11 and have a gap along the keel/hull. What is the best way to address this issue? Do I need to recut the bottom panels? Can I scarf a wood patch or will fiberglass tape with epoxy filler be sufficient? See attached photos.
Attachments
IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2203.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: repairing gap in keel/hull

Post by OrangeQuest »

Take the bow screws out to get the panels closer and that will fill the gap more. Some gap is good when using epoxy. Could try tightening the gap starting away from the bow and work towards it. Tightening them up a little at a time, each one. And checking how it fits on the bow. If some areas make contact with each other to soon then a multitool or a hand saw will quickly take care of those tight spots till you get everything where you want it. Gaps are good with epoxy.

You can also put more holes for more tie wraps for more control.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jcat
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jcat »

Thank you for your great suggestions. The panels have been adjusted; the pictures accurately reflect the gap after adjusting. I do not have enough experience with fiberglass and cannot find an answer on this site or any other source. My primary question is: can this gap be corrected with fiberglass tape, epoxy resin and gap filling filler?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Those gps are a bit much, but yes, they can. It will just add “bad weight” and a lot of fairing work. It’s worth the effort to fiddle with the alignment a bit more.

If you want to leave the gap, do yourself a favor and cut some plywood to fill the majority of that gap. Just to fill it up and reduce the waste is epoxy and glass.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The gap is caused by too much emphasis or pressure on the forward jig, no?

If the panels go up; they part and down they close, no?

If you indeed cut too much away from the panels, then you can just make some ply slivers and stitch them in and keep some margin to allow for cabosil.

But I kinda think something else is off.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I agree with Fallguy. Looks to me like you’ve forced it to the mold as there seems to be gap along the full length that could be tightened, but you look tight to the frame.

Jbo