C17 open in France - launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C17 open in France - launched

Post by cape man »

Congratulations! Felicitation! She's beautiful and doing what you want!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Congratulations!!! Deserved reward for all the hard work.
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Many thanks to all.

Here it is with the name stickers and the bimini.

For the name, the boat was built and will be based in Arzon, Britanny. I just hope a certain brand has a sense of humor...

I installed a short bimini to cover the helm station and leave the fishing decks uncovered.

Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations!!! Jeff

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

I did some post-launch calculations to confirm the specs, for anyone interested in the C17

- my boat weighs around 580kg (1300lbs) fully equipped, with motor, battery, full tank, all equipment, but no crew. This is what I had estimated and is confirmed by the waterline level at launch. The hull alone weighs around 380kg, vs 280kg in the plans. Differences, for about 1/4 each : more epoxy, thicker plywood (8mm vs 6), floatation foam, deck equipment. Fiberglass just as specified, I didn't go the "glass everything" route to avoid more weight.

- I have raised the sole by 3,5 cm (1.4") vs plans. This puts the sole 5cm (2") above the water with no crew, and at water level at 900kg, or 2000lbs, vs the 1500lbs DWL in the plans. That leaves 320kg (a crew of 4 , or 3 + lots of beer), before the sole reaches water level. So the boat is self bailing and the scuppers can be left open at all times with a crew of 1 or 2 (I'll rely on the bilge pump above 3), which is what I was looking for for fishing. I think raising the sole by 2" would still work, the C17 can take it and remains very safe with its high freeboard.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.