VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

Lots of little tasks. Lots of sandingsandingsanding over the past week.

Steel tube arrived for stanchions so today I'm cutting those to get at least one that I can use to see/measure/estimate how they will work out in terms of size. The last thing I want is the stanchions placed in the way or where I want/need something else.

Will post some more pics when I have something interesting to show. But things are happening - one step at a time.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Made the first stanchion - took less time than I thought. 316L steel tube in 60 inch lengths cut in half so 30 inches in height for each one. Bases and other attachments were from SeaDog, which also claim to be investment-cast 316.

I cleaned up the burrs on the tube then drilled out a hole for the top life-line (which will be 7x7 wire rope), and finally tapped out threads for the 1/4"-28 set-screws. Did all that with the hand-drill as the workbench is full upstairs but it went quickly. For the base attachment I just had to drill small dimples in the tube in the right place for the set-screws.

The tube steel (US manufacture) is completely dis-interested in a magnet. In contrast, a magnet is quite strongly attracted to the SeaDog parts (and also the cleats I bought from Suncor). Possibly this is due to the parts having some welding (e.g. stanchion base, cleat and base) and the entire thing becoming more strongly para-magnetic. Or just maybe it isn't 316 :-) Time will tell in how they hold up over the years. Ironically, I was initially more worried in the steel tube quality as I used a new supplier and it was *much* cheaper than any boat supplier, or even just regular online metal places I've used previously. I can only recommend.

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Sh ... 5-5-length

I have the parts to put a second lifeline half-way from base to top on each one. But haven't decided whether I want the extra weight or windage. I'll have a think on that.

Once I've done the stanchions I need to come up with a workable plan for where (and how) to put a rail across the back of the cockpit (on which to mount a solar-panel). Probably the spare tube I have joined across the back of the cockpit from the aft stanchions.

Other work for the day included a bit more on the ice-box and glassing on the top of the cockpit coaming on the starboard side.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Finished the stanchions. I'm really glad I went to the effort, rather than buying them pre-built. I've done as much of them as I want to do for now. Eight of them in total and I forgot to mention in the previous post that they are 1" OD with 0.065" walls. There are sure to be some changes to the stanchions during installation. That's fine. Practice makes perfect.

Also finished as much of the starboard cockpit as I can for now - it is now ready for turn over and fitting backing plates under the coaming for deck hardware, etc. The seat-back and hatches are only dry fitted, but all else is ready - bilge pump and plumbing, shelves, etc. all done. So I moved everything over to the other side and sanded down the port seat, prior to 6oz cloth over tomorrow. The next few days will be getting that side of the cockpit symmetrical wtih the starboard side.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Tops of the cockpit coaming on both sides are finished and glassed on with 12 oz biaxial, and holes for the hatches have been cut in the seat-backs. Small shelves with fiddles are fitted on each side - a manual bilge pump from the main cabin will be fitted to starboard. Three fenders stack nicely in the compartment furthest forward on each side.. I won't glass in the seatbacks yet and instead just screw them on temporarily when we turn the boat.

I've also almost finished the first batch of lockers in the fore-cabin and just put primer on there. Will post some pics of that when I'm a bit further on. Apart from the work on the cockpit, I've been tidying up the lockers and lids for the main cabin. Making lockers/compartments with lids that look good enough has been taking longer than I imagined.

Next job will be painting out the fore-cabin lockers, and then fitting the forward part fo the fore-berth. I've actually cut it into three sections - I need easy access to underneath for when the keel is fitted.

I also bought rope for three-strand dock lines and after a few false starts, I've improved at splicing. But the admiral is much better at it than me, so she's in charge of that department from now on! 3x50' 1/2" nylon plus 2x50' 3/8" nylon.

However, we currently have visitors here for the next two weeks and are then away for a few weeks R&R, so there won't be much progress over the next month.

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have fun Mick!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

We managed to catch up with Brian in the UK and his VG23 (Talon). His boat was out of the water for bottom-painting.

We had a good chat over lunch and as usual he had some good advice on the remaining tasks for our build. Thanks again Brian!

I also finished reading "Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor" by C. A. Marchaj, which really is an excellent book. Really detailed and well-argued, and I'm not really aware of any more-modern book that goes against the author's main conclusions. On the one hand it made me happy we'd chosen to build the VG23 due to its excellent design. On the other hand, it made me wish we'd had a bigger space in which to build an even larger boat :-) Oh-well. Can't be helped! Healthy fear is a good thing. I suppose... :-)