RB16 New build 1st time Kentucky

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: RB16 New build 1st time Kentucky

Post by rick berrey »

TommyD , if no one answers in the next day or so try posting up top under powerboats in Plan,s and Building . Or go on and post up top . Many people don't follow all build tread,s so there are fewer people to answer your questions . I would start a tread up top and use it to ask questions , or pick a builder out and message them , any of them will be glad to help .

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That is correct, you will have a gap there that gets filled with epoxy/woodflour putty before applying fiberglass tape. Of course, you'll need to round over the newly squared edge before applying tape, so it will be able to make the turn.
Hank

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

TommyD,

Sorry for not responding earlier, I have been out of town and then catching up.
Your cockpit layout looks good. Make sure to keep the sides of the frames in place and the gunwale caps. Those few inches of the gunwale caps will help tremendously to stiffen the hull.

You should not need to shave/profile the transom edge. The fillet should do the job of filling any gaps. Once you dry fit the hull panels you can see how they lay. If there is a glaring issue you can go back and make some adjustments to the transom in order to get those panels to lay cleanly. Be sure to always leave a gap between ANY two pieces of wood. If there is no room for the fillet to get in between the panels and make the bond, the joint is weak.

Looks great so far! Build on!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright