How much glue per sq/ft of transom?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

How much glue per sq/ft of transom?

Post by Buz »

I'm not doing well estimating how much glue to use for ply/ply laminations.

When gluing transoms, etc., how much glue do you mix and how deep are the teeth on your spreader?
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How much glue per sq/ft of transom?

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I built mine twice because I was unhappy with the glue up. I'd suggest that you go overboard with it. 1 litre of mixed glue (including fillers) per sq metre would give 1mm thick bond line. So that's about 3 fluid ounces per foot. I'd put in about 50% more to be safe and add extra epoxy to saturate the wood first. Apply plenty of pressure. I'd recommend screws on 6" centers and some other holes to let air escape. See squeeze out into the hole and you're good.

If I was doing it again I'd buy a sheet of 3/4 ply just for transom. Easier to glue and I'd use the remainder on extra thick stringers or frames.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Thank you for doing the math.

1 liter, one m3, 1mm. That's perfect to remember.

Is it something all metric-brained people just know?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

It's certainly easier in metric, but I teach maths as a day job. Trust me, a lot of kids hardly know place value, let alone how much glue in a bondline. It's a serious issue, the general fall in maths knowledge in kids over the last 30 years in general, but since Smartphones in particular. We've banned them from schools in NZ now. Nationwide.

But anyway in Imperial 1 quart per 9sq ft would be the same I think? Easy to remember as well.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

In addition to calculating expected coverage, I aim for my first batch to be enough for half or less of the glue up. Once I run out I can see how far I actually got and figure out pretty exactly how much more I need as long as I keep applying in the same way.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I think that is really the way to do it. I'll be remembering that tip when starting other jobs, too. When the hardener will allow.

I recall wishing I had kept a log with those type details to refer to last time I made a boat. With a tip section in it. I'm aggravated that there's so much I know I've already learned and read here over the years that I dont recall until I relearn a lesson while building.