New member - Which boat to build?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Sean F
New Poster
New Poster

New member - Which boat to build?

Post by Sean F »

Hello All

New member and first time poster looking for some advice on which boat to build.

I’m looking to build a trailerable boat for inshore fishing in the North East - primarily Boston Harbor, Narragansett Bay, Penobscot Bay and Buzzards Bay. Most of the time I am within a couple of miles of shore although occasionally I might consider running out to Block Island in perfect conditions. Winds often kick up on Summer afternoons and it is not unusual to get a 2-3 feet of chop although at that point I’m usually heading in or looking for more sheltered areas to fish. I’ve fished for years in similar conditions on Hobie kayaks, but I’m reaching the point where my back can’t last more than 2 hours at a time. I need a boat that can be launched and retrieved solo most of the time but which can also handle 2 easily and 3 on occasion. I might add a live well and I want comfortable seating for 2 or 3 at a squeeze. Something like a center console setup with a cooler seat in front would work. I would need to add shade and the console should include wind screening underway.

I’ve never built a boat but I’m very handy and have a lot of tools and experience with wood. Never worked with glass or epoxy. I have a double garage in which to build. I’m hoping to be able to tow behind a VW Alltrak which has a limit of 2000lbs / 200lb tongue weight I believe. Not sure if that will work though.

I have been poking around the site and came across a few build logs for the OD18 which looks like a good starting point. Am I on the right track and are there other possibilities that might be better suited?

Thanks
Sean

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New member - Which boat to build?

Post by OlivierP »

Any of the 17' boats here would do well for what you describe, FS17, OB17 or C17. I would choose a V bottom over a flat bottom dory any day in choppy water. I'm using a C17 in the conditions you describe and it's working very well.

Good luck with your search.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome Sean!!! Jeff

Sean F
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Sean F »

Thanks Olivier, your C17 looks great and would definitely work. How long did the build take you and did you use the CNC plywood kit? Why did you decide to go with the C17 versus the C19?

Sean

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome Sean if I were you, I would choose the OB17 or C17. Both are about the same size and have the same capabilities offshore. Having lived on the North Shore of Boston I understand the conditions you will be encountering. Thus, my recommendation. In fact, I would buy both set of plans and decide after going over them. You will have the center console of the OB17 to use on the C17 if you wish to go that way.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks Sean

The build took me 12 months, less 3 months off for a winter break. I didn't use the CNC kit, just bare plywood.

I chose the C17 for its low weight and ease of launch single handed, for its dimensions which fit my build and storage space, for its V hull and high freeboard, and its economy - a 50hp is perfectly fine and sips fuel.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.