Greg's GT23 Blog

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Iowa Boy Greg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Greg's GT23 Blog

Post by Iowa Boy Greg »

Check out the blog my friend Dave has set up to commemorate this historic boatbuilding event. There is even some (questionable quality) video of a couple of clowns at work. It's good to have a computer geek for your best friend.

Cheers,

Greg

http://houseboatbuilder.blogspot.com/

BTW, epoxy and digital video cameras don't mix...
Earth First! We can mine the other planets later.

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Hey greg,

This Blog idea is great! Thanks for the pictures and video, they are a great help. I think you had the right idea when you ordered the plywood kit. I have been cutting plywood for a month now, but am now in the home stretch. I have a couple of questions about things I noticed on your Blog, so I hope you can enlighten me:

1) I noticed you epoxy sealed your stringers on the bench. Does this mean you will have to lightly sand before fiberglassing them in place? Why did you decide not to do this in-situe?

2) I noticed that you attached the forward stringers to the aft stringers, creating one long stringer from bow to stern. When I looked at the station/frame plans, I thought these were separated by the forward bulkhead. ie. the stringers butt up against the bulkhead. What is the advantage of doing it your way?

Hope to see more pics/video on your blog soon, and have it bookmarked on my browser.

Cheers,

Bill

Iowa Boy Greg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Iowa Boy Greg »

Hey Gubbs

Yah, the blog is fun, although the videos leave something to be desired. I will have to remember to turn off the TV next time. Glad to hear you are progressing well.

1) When I have excess epoxy after gluing the joints, I pre-coat.

2) Good question. Maybe you are right. I will have to check the plans. I just planned on cutting a slot on the front bulkhead and using it as another frame.

Jacques?

Cheers,

Greg
Earth First! We can mine the other planets later.

squid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

nice blog

Post by squid »

I like the blog
Can't wait to see more of the build I like the boat you picked and would like to build it some day in the future.
Squid

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

Hi, I'm Dave, Iowa Boy Greg's croney on his GT23 project. I figured it was time for me to drop in and post here.

FYI, I've been keeping the blog mentioned in this post up to date. You can see it at http://houseboatbuilder.blogspot.com

Last weekend we got the front transom mounted to the building frame. I've got pics and video links. We learned after the first posting not to have the TV on in the background. Let me know what you think about the blog.

Dave

squid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by squid »

guys,
i like the site it took a little getting used to but i can operate it nicely have not logged in as am leary of those new type of site things "blogs" but like seeing the progress. I want to see how it floats as i might build one my self some day. I hope it is wind friendly. I live in oklahoma and it is really windy here. My ob-15 works well in the wind but it is a v hull where the ct is kind a flat maybe more like a garvy bottom I don't know for sure You are one of the first to build this boat I think.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Squid.

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

I understand how you could be leary of these blog sites. Between spammers and spyware, I'm leary of visiting sites I've never been to as well. That said, I've been using blogger's blog site since the beginning of the year and have had neither spam nor spyware as a result of my membership.

One thing you should be aware of though, as you consider cruising through blogs. There are some nefarious bloggers who write code in the background that can theoretically install spyware and/or viruses onto your machine. From my understanding, this type of activity isn't widespread, but it can -- and occasionally does -- happen. However, as long as you keep your virus protection up to date, use a firewall, and keep your operating system patches up to date, you're relatively safe. Better yet, switch to firefox.

Now that I've given you the full scoop on blogging, I'd love to see you (and anyone else who reads this post) sign up on blogger. Part of my reasoning for doing this blog is just to chronicle the boatbuilding process, but at the same time, I'm also doing this so others in this forum can learn from what we're doing. In order to help others learn, I'm going to need a little feedback, which I haven't really received to date.

If I had some concrete feedback posted on the blog, such as the stringer question that was asked in this forum earlier, I could post the answers to these questions in the blog. If I had recommendations, such as explain such-and-such more clearly in the videos, or make the videos shorter or longer, or whatever, it would make the blog a better site for anyone who visits it. It's not really any extra work for me to implement recommendations based on feedback, but I suspect it would help a lot of current builders, and those who are thinking about building.

Now of course, I'm NOT trying to lure anyone away from this forum. As Greg and I continue this project, I figure we'll ask questions here, and we can incorporate these questions and answers into the blog, making it a symbiotic relationship for my blog and for this forum. I also intend to come here to notify everyone when we update the blog site.

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

We did a little more work on the boat yesterday, and I've updated the blog (http://houseboatbuilder.blogspot.com) to show what we did. As usual this update includes text, a picture and a video synopsis.

Squid: I saw your comment on flickr, and posted my response on the blog. Let me know your thoughts to my response.

Greg: If you've got anything to add to my response to squid, let me know and I'll post it on the blog.

Dave

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The frame is constructed

Post by OzzyC »

We've got the frame constructed! We still need to do a little tweaking, but if you look at the blog (http://houseboatbuilder.blogspot.com), the picture that goes along with this week's entry should enable you to get a mental picture of the shape of the hull.

JohnH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JohnH »

OzzyC wrote: Better yet, switch to firefox.
I have been using FF for over a year and it has reduced spyware invading my computer to almost nothing. Install the plugins, extensions and themes you like and enjoy browsing. Thunderbird is the email counterpart: also an excellent and more flexible product that Micro$oft can offer at the moment.
NOTE: These are free programs. Download from mozilla.org.

Cheers
JohnH