C17 (Classic 17) in London

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 8 May

Post by BillTwo »

WobblyLegs wrote:
BillTwo wrote:
Have a look here:
http://bateau2.com/content/view/77/28/

You'll get better with the saw as you progress - I'd cut all my 6mm before doing the notches, and am now confident enough to cut most curves to within about 1mm (1/16?) of my line. When I started I was about 3-5mm out.

Good luck.

W.
WobblyLegs

That is exactly what I remembered about the 1/8 inch. You want believe how many times that I've read that tutorial. My problem was what tool was best for doing this? :doh: Now that I know what tool to use, and how it should be used to cut the notches, I will perfect my skills on scrap plywood until the real thing gets here :D

You answered my question in that last thread that you so kindly wrote me. I will be perfecting my cuts with both my table saw and jig saw and using my Jig Saw as my tool of choice for my notches.

Cracker Larry

Thanks for your advice with the drilling of the holes. Somewhere, I did read about drilling holes in a corning but the explaination and details were not as clear as yours. I will try that first thing when I get home. Thanks

Regards,

BillTwo :-k

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Well, it's been a good weekend (no rain) so have managed quite a bit.

After a bit of a panic on Friday: http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8213 I started to assemble the mould, which has worked out very well.

Getting everything in the right place wasn't easy, but modern equipment helps:

And this is what I ended up with this afternoon:

Surprisingly, still ahead of my schedule, but then again, I haven't started sanding yet!!

As usual, more pics here: http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=286

Regards,

Wobbly. :roll:
Last edited by WobblyLegs on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Looks like you're well you your way, Paul! :) I've been looking forward to someone documenting the build of a C17.

One thing though I would keep a secret from whomever tends to that lawn...well, I don't think it will survive the mistreatment it will get ;)

BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Wobblylegs C17 Construction

Post by BillTwo »

WobblyLegs wrote:Well, it's been a good weekend (no rain) so have managed quite a bit.

After a bit of a panic on Friday: http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8213 I started to assemble the mould, which has worked out very well.

Getting everything in the right place wasn't easy, but modern equipment helps:

Surprisingly, still ahead of my schedule, but then again, I haven't started sanding yet!!

Regards,

Wobbly. :roll:
Wobbly, keep doing what you are doing. It looks great to me and I see that your area of construction seems to be in your back yard. Hope the weather holds up for you. I'll be starting my OB17 within the next 2-3 weeks, as soon as my Plywood arrives. Your efforts to keep us posted on your progress and sharing with us your mistakes are commendable. I am already learning from you some things before I begin my OB17 construction; method used for cutting notches, what things to remember when epoxying and your efforts to maintain a tight tolerance in your building of your C17.

I also read your thread on the Transom gluing concern and the methods in which it was resolved. Your construction details and the posting of pictures, with comment, to the gallery is like reading a good novel - you can't wait to get to the next chapter. :wink:

Wobbly, keep up the good work and don't let mistakes take you away from your objective of building yourself a first rate boat. I hope to do the same.

Take care,

BillTwo =D>

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

DrBones wrote:Looks like you're well you your way, Paul! :) I've been looking forward to someone documenting the build of a C17.
Yeah it feels like I'm building now, and that the last month or so has merely been "preparation" if you know what I mean by that? Up until last Friday it all just looked like an Ikea flat-pack! I'm surprised by the size of it, although it is just right for what I want. BTW, dunno where you got "Paul" from, the name's Tim. 8)

I'm enjoying keeping a record of progress here - I've found the site to be very useful for me, so maybe others can also learn from my mistakes as well.
DrBones wrote:One thing though I would keep a secret from whomever tends to that lawn...well, I don't think it will survive the mistreatment it will get ;)
Ah, the lawn is my domain - the flowerbeds are "her's" so as long as I don't trample the flowers I should be OK.... Still it took a lot of persuading to get permission from SWMBO to build it there. I'm sure there is going to be a boat shaped path worn into the ground very soon. :cry:

Later,

Wobbly. (Tim)

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Wobby, Looking good!

I'm also pleased to see you documenting this boat due to your building outdoors . . . I'm going to have to build my next one outdoors also, so I'm following with great interest the steps you are using to align and level everthing!
I'm sure there is going to be a boat shaped path worn into the ground very soon.
I was sweeping out the garage yesterday and I have a nice outline of epoxy drops on the floor in the exact shape of my boat. ;)

Dane
Building the FL14

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

So, here we are then...

The weather this past week has been rain-sun-rain-sun-rain!

Still, I managed to measure (Friday) and cut (Saturday) the bottom hull panels. Saturday was really frustrating 'cos I had to pack everything away 3 or 4 times when the rain came. But, I managed to get the panels cut.

Then, today I joined the fore and aft sections of the panels together. As you must know by now, I'm building in my garden - so I don't have any nice flat surface to work on. My work-around on that is to make what I'm now calling my "joining-boards."

Basically, a strip of ply, lots of screws, turn it over and epoxy-glass the other side. The plastic in-between is so that the "joining-board" doesn't end up being glued to the panels.

I know it's strong enough, as I went indoors, came out 10 minutes later to find one had been blown off the frame onto the ground (it's been windy too), and all was still aligned!

Anyway, it's now glassed on one side, tomorrow I will do the other side and hopefully start stitching the bottom together the day after!

Wish me luck! :P

Wobbly.
Last edited by WobblyLegs on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C17 Classic - London

Post by BillTwo »

WobblyLegs wrote:
Anyway, it's now glassed on one side, tomorrow I will do the other side and hopefully start stitching the bottom together the day after!

Wish me luck! :P

Wobbly.

Wobblylegs, just a few words- Since you are building outdoors, under a tent. What I've been reading while waiting on my OB17 Pre-Cut Plywood is the concern about moisture. I'm sure you are too. Don't forget those edges while glassing the other side. You are doing perfect quality work from what I see and I just thought that I might add that just in case.

Regards,

BillTWo :-k

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 Classic - London

Post by WobblyLegs »

BillTwo wrote:What I've been reading while waiting on my OB17 Pre-Cut Plywood is the concern about moisture. I'm sure you are too.BillTWo :-k
Hi Bill,

Yeah, I have been concerned about moisture, but circumstances are what they are. I have to deal with it, or not build a boat...

Hopefully, by leaving the sides off the tent, there will be enough airflow around the whole thing to prevent condensation, etc.

Anyway, I decided against glassing the other side of the bottom panels, and went ahead with stitching them on the frame (the join is in a relatively low-stress area, and the stress will be on the outside anyway, so I didn't see the point in adding another day or two to the project).

So far, looking good:

Keep well,

Wobbly.
Last edited by WobblyLegs on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Forming the hull.

Well, it's been a bit longer than usual since my last update, but it's all been a bit boring, really.

Until now.

I've joined the lower side panels together (pic's in the usual place) and have spent the past week or so (after work) stitching the bottom and lower sides together. And un-stitching, re-stitching, un-stitching, etc., etc.!

Here's the result so far:

I have to say, everything is starting to fit together extemely well. I hope it continues this way.

Anyway, I'm feeling quite knackered right now, so I will leave it at that for now...

Later,

Wobbly.
Last edited by WobblyLegs on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.