OB15 REBUILD

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

OB15 REBUILD

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Well, I haven't been able to do much on my decks so I though of working on my seat. After several weeks I figured on a design. The seat will sit 1/1/2 off the deck the back rest is 9" tall and seat bottom is 12". The back is cut on a 15deg ang at the bottom, the bottom is cut on the same angle at the back and recesses into the back 1" and the braces that make up the back are also at 15deg. They were cut from 3"x12" stock and sanded to shape. The supports for the bottom are also 1 1/2" mitered front 45deg and rear cut on 15deg. The pictures show rough fit.

Last edited by FLYonWALL9 on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

I like it... nice work.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Ok dumb move but 2 days ago cabin fever set in from my opperation. I had to get out and do something any thing. Whelp I did and I screwed this thing up royal!

Decided to scrap the whole thing and just put a leaning post back rest in and something to sit on. While fishing I can just take out the back rest an thow it in a storage box.

Good news is my mahogany flag pole/light came in unfinished so I started on the varnish coats. Have 4 on it now.

Started refinishing my teak wheel from last years dings, dints, and scratches.

While trying to figure out what to do with my screwed up seat I came up with making the bezel for my stearing (ugly old black plastic thing) out of the back of my old seat. MAN how cool this thing is. It puts my bow hook part to shame. Should be to the point of pictures of all this by the weekend. Til then this was all a tease! :D

whitehawk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by whitehawk »

Since the OB15 is the boat I think I am going to build, I'm curious about your reasons for the re-build. Were there significant problems??

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

whitehawk wrote:Since the OB15 is the boat I think I am going to build, I'm curious about your reasons for the re-build. Were there significant problems??
yea... he's got *the disease*... :help:

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Easy now KS :D :D :D

I finished the boat with "mods" not in the plans, these mods lead to a boat that wasn't easy to fish. Hard to get from front to back. Don't get me wong that boat is great. As KS says I have a disease..

I took out the center console and adding a side steer, and wanted to deck it in mahogany hardwood also add a poling platform.

Bottom line build it you will surely like it, that boat has a real following.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Finished my flag pole/stern light. Purchased it unfinished and in kit form, pretty neat deal...

Was told today I wont have the boat back from the tower shop until Wed next week. I have no other projects to hold me over until it gets back here. So, I suppose my Oscars are going to be the first fish that test my new Penn 420ssg :D :D with spinner baits and plastic worms

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

whitehawk wrote:Since the OB15 is the boat I think I am going to build, I'm curious about your reasons for the re-build. Were there significant problems??
Part of the fun is doing it your way, changing things, then changing them again.
FlyonWall9 clearly enjoys the process of building as much as using the boat.
:wink:
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Rather slow not having the boat I have ran out of things to do to it while its at the tower shop having the platform built. So, I decided it would be a good time to install my newphews car audio. Think the fiberglass molding came out pretty well. Could have used some more fairning but he was too anxious to have it playing. KIDS! :D

WILL HAVE THE OB BACK HOME ON MONDAY!

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Scott,
Good job on the fibreglass moulding! It's interesting to see how the skills we are developing with S&G boats can be useful elsewhere! I fixed a broken hat rack this week - the wood was badly splintered, so I sandwiched the join between two layers of fibreglass. I reckon the repaired piece is a lot stronger than the original!
Looking forward to seeing your boat back on the water.
Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.