HB20 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

HB20 Build

Post by JustMe »

Well, I might be starting this a little early, but I am very excited about getting going on this project.

I just ordered my HB20 plans. I have a few things that I might do to change up the plans a little.

1) I will not build the fly bridge to save on weight and cost, but will build it in the 9 foot width standard. I was considering to shrink it to 8' 6" to keep it trailerable without having a permit. I was also thinking about going with the fly bridge, but not for my first build.

2) The two seperate beds in the stateroom will be pushed together and turned 90 degrees so the head of the bed will be attached to the port side, and the left side of the bed will be attached to the bow wall. The bed width will be about the size of a full, maybe a tad smaller.

3) I will be building in one, or two, hanging lockers in the forward starboard corner, with drawers underneath. The wife says she needs more storage. If I go with a second, it all depends on space, I will put it in the aft starboard corner.

4) In the cockpit, I am going to put in a jump seat type bench that can fold out of the way.

5) The proposed jump seat at the helm station will be a built in seat with additional storage, much like the settee bench.

6) I will be installing railing around the gunwales and a small short railing around the top deck above the cabin to protect the sun bathers.

Well, that should do it, I think. This is my first boat of any size so I am excited and a little nervous at the same time. Can't wait for my plans to get here so I can start my planning. I have a busy schedule so planning and timing are going to be very important on this project.

In central Kentucky, we have a cold winter so I will be faced with a non-building time period of 4 to 5 months. I hope to do this project out of pocket so finance planning will also be important.

Ok, folks, here we go!

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-7032
My mods

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Congratulations! You'll have a blast. BTW, you can get a good feeling for the sizes of stuff if you draw it out with chalk on your driveway or in the garage, or somewhere. Then you can move outdoor furniture around the outline to represent tables, chairs, etc. to get a good feeling for size and space.

Best of luck! Post pics as you go!

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

MadRus wrote:Congratulations! You'll have a blast. BTW, you can get a good feeling for the sizes of stuff if you draw it out with chalk on your driveway or in the garage, or somewhere. Then you can move outdoor furniture around the outline to represent tables, chairs, etc. to get a good feeling for size and space.

Best of luck! Post pics as you go!
Your post give me a clue that I am headed in the right direction. I had planned on doing that with some garden stacks in the field next to my garage, where I'm going to be building 'er.

Thanks!

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HB20 Build

Post by fishingdan »

Good luck with the project.

By the way, you could easily build throughout the Kentucky winter if that is something you want to do. There has been lots of discussion regarding working in cold weather.

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HB20 Build

Post by kiwi »

JustMe wrote: 2) The two seperate beds in the stateroom will be pushed together and turned 90 degrees so the head of the bed will be attached to the port side, and the left side of the bed will be attached to the bow wall. The bed width will be about the size of a full, maybe a tad smaller.
"Stateroom" is maybe a bit heady for "front cabin". How tall are you? You just have sitting headroom on the bed. No one is claustrophobic? My other half couldn't be dragged screaming into a cabin that high <naughty thoughts race through mind> 8)

My ideal HB20 is 28' long and has a folding setee bed for the adults in the rear living room, the kids sleep downstairs. It also has a large head/shower compartment like the GT27. But unfortunately the TW28 came along and ruined that dream :D

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another one brave enough to make some changes to Jacques' plans! :lol:
Tony may have a point, though - you need to consider headroom when repositioning things.

MadRus's suggestion to lay it out on the floor of the garage is a good one - although I wouldn't do it in the driveway if I could avoid it, for the simple reason that in order to get a good feel for the space you need to limit your vision with some walls. (Have a look at a house being built - when only the frames are up, the rooms look a lot bigger than when the walls are in place).

You'll enjoy the build, I'm sure, and there will be plenty of people here willing to assist you with suggestions and comments.
Looking forward to seeing some pics!
Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

I thing about the headroom isn't really too big an issue...thus far. We have had small pop-up trailers in the past.

I will lay it out and I'll take you advice on the use of the garage. I might get some pcv piping and tarps to mock up my prototype, particularly in the front cabin.

If there is enough room to move around on my knees then I should be good for the hanging locker access. Otherwise I may bring it back to the aft starboard corner of the cabin and make it accessible from the opening that steps down into the cabin.

The wife and I can't sleep well if the other is not there. I figured seeing as there was plenty of room, I could just push them together and turn them so the access wasn't blocked.

I would call what I'm doing brave or anything. As this is my first boat of size, I wouldn't dare or I might be screaming :help: before it was over. :lol:

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

JustMe wrote: The wife and I can't sleep well if the other is not there. I figured seeing as there was plenty of room, I could just push them together and turn them so the access wasn't blocked.
Now that is true love or what! Congratulations!

Tony

PS I am on the same boat as you on this one :D
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

Well, I got my plans for the HB20 Friday. Talk about intimidating. It seems as so many of the details of the steps are missing. Not sure if I can do this now.

There is a floor of paper and so much confusion on my part. I keep asking myself if I am about to make a several thousand dollar mistake. Some how others have been able to make this boat, so I will press on.

It has raised many questions that I will need to ask, as this is my first boat of any size that I am about to build.

I read so many of the other threads and find people all over building boats, so I figure that I just need to spent several hours reading and re-reading the plans until it all makes sense. I am also considering making a model of it out of cardstock, perhaps even a few times, until I understand the building process.

Well, I guess it is back to those plans. And it looks like my idea for the beds in the front will get yet another modification. Instead of making the beds like I had hoped, I am thinking about keeping them in the original direction and make the starboard bed have a sliding top that will allow for a double. The bed on the port side would be storage with a hanging locker in the aft port corner.

I trust that many of you have also had this overwhelming feeling opening your first set of plans. Share.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Don't panic. Its the boat builders motto. One step at a time. You will be fine.