FIRST LIGHT - My (Daddy's) Boat-SPLASHED

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FIRST LIGHT - My (Daddy's) Boat-SPLASHED

Post by robbiro »

As of this evening my GF-16 now has side panels cut out, not made into solid sides yet, but that will probably happen tomorrow. This finally takes ne past the planning, discussing, scribbling down ideas, reading forums and scribins parts onto ply stage.
The title of this came from my son. he is 5 and would have been just as happy if this project was finished yesterday and was to be splashed tomorrow, but we all know that it takes a little bit of time to see these projects finished.
I will post more as I get it done, and will try to get some of the photos that we are shooting posted for all too critique.

Later,
Robbie :)
Last edited by robbiro on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Yorkshire-Dry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yorkshire-Dry »

Hi Robbie,

I made my first mistake very early on, when joining the panels I thought I had them correct but I ended up inverting one of the halves of the sides :oops:

I was sure I had checked everything three times!!! :doh:

So I had to cut them at the join and refix correctly, overall not a major error but also not a great way to start :!:

Good luck.

My trailer is re-jigged and she will be on it by Monday, just letting the paint harden. Can't wait to spash her,

YD
GF 16 built and loving it

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Congrats on getting past the planning stage Robbie. It took me about 2 years to buy materials after I bought the plans.

Keep this as a running log, and add in your pics as you go. I like that format anyway.

Take care,
Tim

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

:o
I now have the beginning of sides for my GF-16. The sides and bottom splices are in process as we speak. The first splices were put in this AM and will do the other side tonight. All of the seat frames have been cut out and the transoms are cut. I am still trying to figure the best weay to make the modification to the front transom to allow a 90 degree vertical area to attach a trolling motor, I will try to post some trial photos tonight on this along with photos of the work already done.
Have a great Memorial Day! To all former and current servicemen and women, thank you for your sacrifice of time and talent for our country.

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

Any pictures of your progress?

And to all my brethren

Semper Fi

Dave

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Sounds like you're well on your way Robbie.

I think I have figured out how I'm going to make some verticle surfaces on my bow transom. I will laminate a few pieces of 1/2 inch to get a thickness of about 3-4 inches (I think). I then plan on cutting these apart at the same angle as the bow transom. Half will get glued to the inside and half to the outside. In the end it should make a square block on the bow for a transom mount type trolling motor.

That is my plan. It may not sound clear, but I know what I'm thinking. LOL

Pics please!

Tim

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Tim sounds like we are thinking along the same lines. One thing that I worked out though is that the cut to get a totally perpendicular will require about a 22 1/2 degree cut , my first post on this a couple of weekd ago i errantly said 45 degrees which will give you a picture frame look or one that will be angled back into the boat. The transom is at a 45 to the gunwales and my old geometry teacher would not have been happy with my solution. I guess that's why we measure at least twice before we cut Huh!!
I will try to give a few pics tonight. The family has been out and about running errands today and I have not gotten around to the photos yet.
Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

It almost looks like a boat, one without seat tops or a bottom, but it looks like a real boat!!!!! :o
My daughter said it was bigger than sh thought it would be, I agree. The work is just starting and the hot weather is just getting here, It should be fun.

Tim
I talked to two friends who are builders and one of them is a BASS, FLW caliber fisherman. They said we had the right idea, but if we were in danger of hitting any submerged items, we might have a serious problem with the front transom if we cut it and reglued it, sorry I even gave anyone that thought.
The fisherman said he would get back with me before Wednesday with an idea of how to get around cutting and glueing. I will pass his ideas on when I get them.

On to rest time and work tomorrow. Back to the BOAT tomorrow night, later

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

I'm not sure I follow how cutting a board and re-gluing it with EPOXY is going to be a problem. It is not like we're using Elmer's here. :lol:

From what I've experienced so far, the epoxy is a lot harder than the wood.

The only thing I'm worried about is getting a long enough shaft for the TM. Like you daughter noted, the boat is a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I had mine out for a few minutes this afternoon, testing some rigging changes, and a buddy stopped by. He kept commenting on how deep, how much free board there is. That is one of the things I'm most pleased with. It makes me feel safer.

More to come on my rigging changes in the coming days.

Tim

After rereading your thread, maybe we don't have exactly the same idea. I plan on laminating 4-6 pieces of 1/2" on a table. I'll then cut this block to the proper angle. Then each of these will be glued to one side of the bow transom. So my bow transom won't be cut. Only the laminated "block" will be cut at an angle. Oh, and my bow transom is already 2 layers of 1/2". I figured I'd run into something. :lol:

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Hey Tim,
Our ideas were different, but I believe that yours is stronger and will work better in the long run. Will you glue the block inboard, or outboard of the bow transom. Disregard My blundering ideas concerning the transom . I am finding that this message board gives many ideas and suggestions to how to better build a boat and modify basic designs.
I agree with your friend that there is a lot of freeboard and with my kids (8 and 5) wanting to go fishing with daddy, this is not a bad idea, if I can only keep my daughter from trying to do pirouettes off of the bow....... :help:

Many thanks for this discussion and making me look at what I was about to do!! =D>

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W