student research project

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

student research project

Post by anonymous »

Thanks for all the input.
Last edited by anonymous on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Donations

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

Hey Robert

Very interesting post. I wish I'd had the opportunity to do something like that when I was young. I might have made some very different career choices.

If they don't give you the plans, I would be glad to pay for them for you. Also, you might want to check out issue #185 of Wooden Boat. There is a solar-electric launch on the cover and a very extensive article inside. Might be some resources or ideas you could tap into there.

Good Luck

Daniel Huckleberry

PaleseZT
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PaleseZT »

Robert, I live in Sewell (South Jersey) and work in Cherry Hill. I built the FL14. I have in my garage one sheet of 1/4" Meranti (bought an extra in case I made mistakes, but the build was very easy and forgiving, thus no mistakes) from bateua as well as extra wood flour and some disposables that you can have. I only have a little epoxy that I am saving for repairs if necessary. You are welcome to it and I can bring it to Cherry Hill in my pick up if you want to come and get it. Post a reply here if you are interested.
JP

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

hey robert,

I replied twice to your email (which is the same as this post). Check your email.

Joel

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

here is my reply.......

Hi Robert,

We will help you. The ph15 will not be the best choice though. I am assuming your boat will not have enough power to plane, therefore a displacement boat will be much more efficient and probably faster than a ph15 in displacement mode. We have helped a few teams in competitions using solar or hydrogen power - long thin boats are the way to go, even it means solar cell hanging over like an aircraft carrier.
To chose the best design let get some more info. What sort of motor (hp)? how much battery weight? How much area of solar cell? How much do the solar cells weigh?

Joel

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The best candidate may be a catamaran made of two of our Cheap Canoes tied with cross beams.
This will require minimal power and offer a very large area for the panels.
It would be inexpensive and easy to build, plus, you can use the canoes before and after the experiment.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

CET
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CET »

Kudos to Jacque and Joel (and the others who offered to help) for assisting Robert Walling. Seems like a great cause and I admire Mr. Walling for his ambition and focus at such a young age.

anonymous

THANKS

Post by anonymous »

Wow!

I want to thank you all so much for your support. I am sorry I couldn’t reply sooner but I spent all day yesterday going through my research. Joel I agree with you a catamaran or a displacement hull is the best choice for a solar powered boat.

JP I will definitely take you up on your offer when the time comes, THANKS.

Daniel thank you so much for your offer and issue #185 of wooden boat magazine was what really got me started on this project.

Joel, thank you for your time, offer and help. I still don’t know why I never got the emails. I will send you the info for the boat very soon. I just want to research a little further into another possibility I have developed.

Thanks,

Robert
Last edited by anonymous on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davef
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Davef »

Good luck Robert and we are all here hoping you come up with something that works real great. Please keep us informed of your progress.
L8tr
d

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Joel

I am exploring the concept of a hybrid boat consisting of a gas powered motor and solar powered electric motor. The electric motor produces 20 hp and weighs 25 lbs. There would be six solar panels each 4’x2’6â€