OB-19 in PA/DE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mikebateman5
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB-19 in PA/DE

Post by mikebateman5 »

I'm pretty sure it was the Interlux brand of non-skid. It was originally put on in 2017, so 7 years ago. It got very minimal use and was covered most of that time. The pictures that I posted above that show the floor pretty dirty are a pretty good representation. The non skid part of the paint held up really well and is still in good shape, but the color really did not hold up well. I think I only put 2 coats, so maybe that was the issue, or maybe it just isn't designed to last that long.

I went with the Total Boat non-skid this time, so we will see how it holds up. I put it on this weekend and will post pics of that in a bit.

mikebateman5
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mikebateman5 »

As promised, here are the updates from the weekend. I got some of the non-skid paint done. The floor and the front and rear decks.

The floor
The front deck
The rear deck
The other rear deck

The non skid paint was total boat total tread in white. Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. It was really easy to apply and looks really good.
I still need to do the side decks and probably another coat on the floor.
You can also see in the last picture I put in one set of rod holders on the side decks, as well as a new tachometer. The motor didn't come with one so I ordered a new Faria and wired it in. It was actually easier than I thought to do!

Some of you may be wondering about the cables on the floor. I originally had installed 2 big chase tubes which came up under the console and then one that goes over the side decks.
The single tube was originally designed to run the wiring out of the console and then back to the rear and forward for speakers and lights. The plan was to run the controls, and fuel line through the 2 big tubes. Well I could only get the throttle/gear controls through one of the big tubes. I cant get anything to go through the other big one. I can run a small piece of twine through, but when I tried to pull the outboard wiring harness or the steering cable through, it jams about 3 feet in to the tube. I cant figure out the problem. So, as much as i hate to do it Ill just have to live with some cables on the deck for now.

I ended up running the fuel line through the small one and then back under the side decks.

I am planning on launching/re-launching this coming holiday weekend, and man am I excited!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Try running things the other way...from the stern... through the chase tube?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Running fuel and wires through the same conduit isn't recommended, something about chance of fire/explosion. :roll:

The boat is looking great, though!
Hank

mikebateman5
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mikebateman5 »

I had the same thought Cape Man, but couldn't get it to go either way. One tube works fine, so its quite a mystery. I might mess with it again this winter, I'm too excited to get this thing out and start using it.

Also, I should have been more clear. My original plan was to run the electrical through the side small tube, but ended up just putting the fuel line in there by it self.

Thanks!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You need at least 4-5 tubes going the stern. This was determined by CL many years ago. 1 2-3" for the mechanicals, 1 1 1/2" for the fuel line, 1 2" for the electricals and 1 1 The1/2" for the depth/fish finder. The extra tube for the fish finder prevents interference from electrical pulses if it were put in with the electrical wires.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mikebateman5
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mikebateman5 »

I couldn't agree more Tom. Way back when I didn't have any of the systems figured out yet, so i was just going off what I thought might be best. It's funny to me now because I thought I had over estimated the amount of tubes. You live and learn. I've run plenty of boats in the past with cables on the deck and its a mild nuisance at worst. It is really unfortunate because I will be doing a ton of crab trot lining and will be using that space specifically for dipping crabs. Maybe it will just give me another excuse if I miss one!

Thanks for the help. Hopefully this helps other builders in the future.

Michael

cape man

Post by cape man »

Ain't nothin but a thang. You'll make it work. Have you tried lots of soap pulling through the chase tubes?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

mikebateman5
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mikebateman5 »

In preparation for the holiday weekend, where I plan to use the boat a lot, I wanted to test all of the systems without the family onboard. So I dropped the boat in at the local lake! When I originally try to launch 6 years ago the old motor I had was having too many problems so I never got to really test the boat beyond a float test! This time I was able to open her up and give her a real test. Let's just say I am blown away. The boat was amazing!

Here are some pics and videos. I was solo so quality and quantity are lacking but I'll hopefully get more this weekend.

Backing her down
Glamour shot
Taking off

Cruising

The motor did give me a bit of an issue. It started up just fine and would run flawlessly until about 2500 rpm. At that point it would stumble/surge. When I throttled up too far, it would oscillate down and then up and not let me rev any higher. If I backed off the throttle under that 2500 ish rpm, it would then run great again. It felt almost like a fuel starvation/clogged filter of some sort. I have subsequently read online that this could be a common problem with Honda's related to the ECU. It's a 2011 90hp for what it's worth. I'm gonna try and run it for a little to get more info, as long as it lets me.

Even with that issue the boat would still get up and go. I need to spend more time to get some more comprehensive numbers but at about 2500 it would cruise at around 29mph. There were a couple of times when the motor would rev up to about 3000 and that was good for about 32 mph.

I cant wait to use this thing more!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations!! I hope you can get some good use out of her this weekend with the family!!! I am sure you will figure out the fuel issue!!! Jeff