Baba’s FL14: MadMax in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

I did the same as Rick. You will find this easier than trying to stitch the bottom to the inside edges of the sides and leaving a gap. For a displacement hull like the FL14 hard spots are not a real issue, and if the bottom panel sits evenly on the edges of the sides, as mine did, it will be just fine.
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Yes I went ahead and epoxied the other wing...slap on the wrist - Tisk Tisk...Bad Baba..!

Used these cups to accurately measure small amounts of Epoxy+Hardner (less than half an oz).

48 hours later and the Epoxy is still getting harder..... :help: Let this be a warning to all you Torontonians out there....Don't start your builds yet...its still too cold. it may seem like summer but ice does not melt in the Garage just yet...Thanks shine for that input. I now have an ice cube in the garage and its melting extremely slowly.

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Baba, Mark a single cup with two lines. one for resin, the other hardener. Saves on transferring and cups. I did 6 ounce batches. Filled a cup with 4 oz. of water, marked the side. Put in another 2 oz. , marked it (2:1). Emptied and dried, marked a bunch and went to town. Rick

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

rjezuit wrote:Baba, Mark a single cup with two lines. one for resin, the other hardener..... Rick
Yeah.... thanks :idea:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Hey Baba,

All you need it 55-60 degrees for the reaction to really get going. You could get those but blocks cured in half a day if you put a small electric bathroom heater on them.

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

I had the Marinepoxy cure last March/April with cold weather, frost/freezing outside in an unheated garage. It just took a little longer when it was in the 40's inside. Rick

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Bond baby Bond....! After 48 hours decided to throw money at this slow hardner....

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Because the panels are sitting on the floor, that area may stay even colder for longer even though the temps rise outdoors. As Shine said, aim some sort of heater at it. I used an IR element heater since it heats surfaces it is aimed at, and not the air. But of course, don't place it a foot away and set the thing ablaze. I kept mine 3 to 4 feet away, and the wood got very warm though 35 outside the tent (before I buitl the cathedral and used lightbulbs to heat under the double tent). With a heater, watch the clear wrap! It may be flammable with a low flashpoint. Monitor every hour or so when you first set it up. But in those cold temps, do use some sort of safe heater setup, and that goop will set right up in a day or two.

Whenever using any sort of heater, of course be extra careful and check it frequently the first hour, including how hot the plug is getting. :)

ks

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Baba will do whatever it takes.... :x

Raised the wings, removed the plastic ; as suggested...This crazy heater is blowing luke warm air...I am working from my Garage today...and keeping a very close Eye..the epoxy is pretty hard by now...but I can still dent it with a sharp object.

Made a new friend today....The Planer. Its good for scraping off Epoxy mess from Madmax... :)
Last edited by baba101 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

You will love the planer for taking off the raised edge off of the taped joints also. I did it that way and it worked great. Look into cabinet scrapers too. They work wonders on sags and drips. Saves on sanding, and you will appreciate it. Be careful when the weather breaks and you are working when its warm, the epoxy becomes an entirely different animal. Rick