FL14 (in Texas) - FINISHED!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Mike, Simultaneous builds, and the threads are getting blended. This is the southern boat, not the northern one. Rick

bredstein
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bredstein »

Mike Adams wrote:I'm confused as to just whose thread this is!
Mike, we are building the same boat, Baba and me, and we read (at least truly yours) both threads. So it is not so important where you post your comments - which are so valuable for us!

Andrey - from Texas - NOT from Canada :-)

bredstein
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bredstein »

lncc63 wrote:Read about the cracked butt blocks, seemed strange since it looks like Berdstein is using very nice plywood and the curve is not that drastic. Could it have been because there was no glue between the joined panels themselves?
You are kidding! This "very nice plywood" can be had at your HD store for under $18 per 3/8x4x8 sheet! As for the glue between the panels (if I understand you correctly) there was not too much of it - the surface is insignificant. The strength comes from the block/side part.

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

The plywood looks nice at least the figuring of it. This doesn't speak of the strength. It looks like you are doing well. Improvise and correct if problems occur. That's the magic of making your own boat. Okay guys, here's the deal, it's north versus south again, on your mark, get set,go. Who finishes first gets the coveted epoxy trophy. Rick

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Its the Turtle (North) and the Rabbit (South) race...Can't rush Baba he is a very slow worker.

Plus my current hobby is building boats...wouldn't really know what to do with it when its done.... :!:

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Baba, They are never really "done". Mine has been "done" since last June, but looking at these threads makes me want to do"upgrades" when the weather gets nicer. I was thinking of turning it into a planing hull, but decided against it. Now probably just the floor drain, and a swim ladder for the transom. The kids love jumping off the back seat, but it's a pain getting back in. Especially for those of us whom aren't kids anymore. Rick

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

I thought about using the drain after reading your posts...but now don't feel like it any more...I will just store it upside down and close all seat compartments with foam. Like the idea of a low maintenence Giant tube. Drain by tilting it to one side.

:idea: And now I think a swim ladder is an excellent idea...WOW...are you thinking a real ladder or just a platform...?

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Rick,

Why not start a new thread with ideas for a swim ladder? I'll post some of my sketches as well... :)

ks

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

bredstein wrote:
Mike Adams wrote:I'm confused as to just whose thread this is!
Mike, we are building the same boat, Baba and me, and we read (at least truly yours) both threads. So it is not so important where you post your comments - which are so valuable for us!

Andrey - from Texas - NOT from Canada :-)
rjesuit wrote:Mike, Simultaneous builds, and the threads are getting blended. This is the southern boat, not the northern one. Rick
Glad to know I'm not actually going senile after all..... :lol:

Both boats are looking real good.
Mike
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

bredstein
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bredstein »

rjezuit wrote:Who finishes first gets the coveted epoxy trophy.
Well, the problem here is that Baba has lots of time, and I need to finish it before summer - I have no AC in my garage... As the joke here, there are only two seasons in Texas: summer and hell :-)