ar15 Brazilian Builder

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

The plans as designed give you enough information so that you can plot the points of the 4 corners of the upper panel. You don't need the length.
If you really want the length of the panel, you can pull out your trig book and calculate it yourself.

What was that guys name? Pythagoras(a2 + b2 = c2).

Now really don't worry about the 1mm. Plot your points, draw the cambers and cut. :)
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

CO6AKA,
Somewhere in these forums I have seen Jacques elaborate on the reasons why entering the dimensions from the drawings into a CAD program will cause confusion. Something about creeping errors, sections of cones and quadratic curves I think. Try it with the Cheap Canoe plans and see if you find similar problems.
Like everyone else, I encourage you to cut the wood as drawn on the plans. It might be interesting to mark the CAD dimensions for reference, but rely on the drawings for the best results. It will all fit together and make a boat shaped piece of plywood. Not a loom shaped boat. :D
CC, D15, V10

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct: if you try to redesign our plans in a CAD program, they will come out sligthly different.
I can't explain in a message the theory of cubic splines but our dimensions are not at the vertices. Those who know will understand.
Plus, we don't show the degree of our curves.
You can't reproduce them accurately.

Solution: build as designed, don't try to second guess.

Since 3 days, I am working several hours a day on a new surface development method. For our new FS12 and FS14, I want to use simple surfaces with 1st degree curvature lengthwise and 2nd degree in stations.
The hull should be defined by those clean, easy to develop surfaces, making the builder's life very easy. That's the goal.
It is very challenging but I am getting close. I will probably have 10 hours of labor just in a model with 2 surfaces.
After that, when moving to CAD, I will drop the precision to 1/8" and maybe somebody will split hairs and tell me that my plans are not accurate.
:?
That should help you understand why I don't take some remarks kindly.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

With my CAD limited knowledge, I got the rendering above, representing the AR15 hull, by using the plans dimensions. Even if there were small diferences to the original as designed, I'm sure this will float, sail and look good.

I'm sorry to say, but I find this to be a senseless discussion. This designs and building techniques are developed with the amateur boatbuilder in mind. No matter how accurate and precise the plans are, amateur builders will always make small mistakes during construction, sometimes greater then a few milimeters. Furthermore, a major part of the construction is the fairing of the hull (sand, sand, sand ...). How many milimeters will a builder waste during this process, specially at panel joints?

Don't bother locking the thread again, Jacques. I have no intention on discussing this further.
JG

Manuel Alves
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Nice Job Jonas

Post by Manuel Alves »

Nice job at Autocad... are you from portugal???
Ajuda em portugues seria bem vinda...
Manuel
Construtor amador do Brasil. Florianopolis

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

Olá Manuel,

Yes, I'm portuguese. I haven't built the boat yet, but if I can be of any help, feel free to ask. I'll answer back both in portuguese and english. We should give other forum users the possibility to follow these discussions.

Pelo que vejo das tuas fotos estás a fazer um excelente trabalho. Vai em frente!
JG

glcost
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by glcost »

To Mr. CO6AKA,

I would like to offer you some advice so you are successful at building your boat and feel good about it. First, you are approaching this project at the wrong angle; your thought process is too rigid. Please open your mind to different thinking. This project is boat building and should be fun. It is not an engineering project.

Jacques' plans require a builder to follow his building methodology. I think this is one important point you are missing. He does this so any person can build the boat whether they are a butcher, accountant, plumber, student or they are in Portugal, Norway, America. Take a look at Mr. Manuel Alves' photo gallery. You can see that his building crew are not professional boat builders and are probably not engineers. But they are successful and having fun at the same time. That is because they are following Jacques' methodology.

One last thing, Mr. Alves made a scaled model of the AR15 too. Building the model helps in understanding the building methodology.

I hope this helps.

George
George C

Salty Dog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salty Dog »

привет C06AKA,

отдыхать...........нравитьÑ

Salty Dog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster