knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by Knottybuoyz »

A couple more pieces permanently affixed to the hull. :D

Don't worry the tunnel will get paint and anti-foul when I paint the rest of the hull.

Standby....
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

How are you going to wire up the anode. Im still not sure what you link up within the wiring system or is it just metallic parts. Also struggling to design a system for the charging using one alternator. I will have a cranking battery, two house batteries in parallel and a battery for the whinch. Also a victron 240v ac charger any ideas Chers

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

colinhart wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:44 am How are you going to wire up the anode. Im still not sure what you link up within the wiring system or is it just metallic parts. Also struggling to design a system for the charging using one alternator. I will have a cranking battery, two house batteries in parallel and a battery for the whinch. Also a victron 240v ac charger any ideas Chers
Hi Colin

The bonding system is sort of separate from your DC grounds. I'll run a 6 AWG wire to a buss where individual pieces of equipment can be bonded to. Only underwater metals I have are the skeg, prop and shaft. They'll all bonded through their associated attached equipment. I'll be documenting it as I go.

I'll have a similar setup except two LIFEPO4 batteries for house loads. One starting lead acid battery and one 200 AH AGM for the windlass and bow thruster. The bow thruster and windlass has a totally separate system. Because you use it intermittenly it'll charge from a single 100 watt solar panel and MPPT controller. Also option for a shore power charger. The starting battery and lithiums will charge from the alternator via a DC/DC charger. That's as simple as it gets. They'll both charge from the Renogy charger/inverter/mppt controller with shore power, Honda generator and 360 watts of solar. So I'd say easiest way forward for you is likely a DC/DC charger which Victron makes.

Cheers mate! Keep building!
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

The idea of using a solar panel for the winch battery is a stroke of genius and using a separate ac charger solves so many switching problems. I have a Victron ac charger already installed and this has a trickle charger for the cranking battery and a charging circuit for the house bank. I had purchased a Victron Cyrx battery isolator which will switch between cranking and house batteries according to state of charge when charging from the alternator. This does seem the simplest method to use. I looked at the cost of 100w solar panels and a controller and the don't seem excessive . Just need some Sun in England we have had record rainfall this year and we live in the driest part of the UK and usually only get 23 inches a year but it hasn't stopped raining since Christmas

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

colinhart wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:29 am The idea of using a solar panel for the winch battery is a stroke of genius and using a separate ac charger solves so many switching problems. I have a Victron ac charger already installed and this has a trickle charger for the cranking battery and a charging circuit for the house bank. I had purchased a Victron Cyrx battery isolator which will switch between cranking and house batteries according to state of charge when charging from the alternator. This does seem the simplest method to use. I looked at the cost of 100w solar panels and a controller and the don't seem excessive . Just need some Sun in England we have had record rainfall this year and we live in the driest part of the UK and usually only get 23 inches a year but it hasn't stopped raining since Christmas
Sounds good Colin. Sorry about the weather. We've had some wacky weather this year too. I've been working on the boat since early February. Usually I don't start much before the end of April. We do have a monsoon season now too. Solar prices are pretty reasonable nowadays. Some of the charging equipment isn't so reasonable. I figure I'll have $7000 Cdn in our entire two systems.

Carry on mate! Cheers!
Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

vLog update. Finishing up the bonding plate. This was a mid-week bonus episode.

https://youtu.be/djNOqTXjJtI

Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

This week's vLog is up now. Taking an inventory of STUFF and some more work on the battery box. Seems like that lil' project is never gonna end.

https://youtu.be/O2yqJdsPIgw

Cheers!
Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

I have no words to express how much this hurt. Face down in the bilge keel trying to drill a hole in the stainless steel backing plate. It didn't go as planned. :roll:
Yours Aye! Rick

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

At least you were being safe and had your fire watch ready to help

colinhart
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by colinhart »

I am impressed you could get down there