Page 1 of 1

Putter's D15

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:43 pm
by putter
Finally Here are some update photos:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-8568

There are others who have done a better job at documenting their detailed progress, my photos are more status updates. enjoy

Thanks to all who have added all of their experience to my build through prompt and informative responses to all of my questions. Just a few more weeks to launch!

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:52 pm
by sgorey
Putter, just saw the picutes of your boat. I'm jealous with how fast you were able to build it. I've got over 18 months in mine.
Great job.

ps. to fix your link, move the closing url bracket to after the link. like so

[url]http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-8568[/url]

Steve

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:02 am
by gk108
Excellent looking boat. It will probably take me at least twice as much time to finish mine. :D

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:16 am
by putter
GK108/Sgorey,

We have been highly motivated on this end to try to get this boat in the water! The experience has been fun building the boat, but we are all looking forward to exploring the lakes that are all around us here in SC. We just moved here a year ago from OH and being involved in the outdoors is hard to ignore.

Thanks for the compliments, we will keep cranking :!:

Update - Interior Priming done!

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:45 pm
by putter
Just finished my last coat of primer this am before work. Took a few photos and i hope that they areinserted here correctly. I can almost taste the finish line.

Sunday i should be final painting the interior and loading on the trailer that i am going to pickup tonight...

Here are a few photos:

Here are the paths... can't seem to get the images to show :doh:

Re: Update - Interior Priming done!

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:52 pm
by Jerry-rigged
putter wrote:Just finished my last coat of primer this am before work. Took a few photos and i hope that they areinserted here correctly. I can almost taste the finish line.

Sunday i should be final painting the interior and loading on the trailer that i am going to pickup tonight...

Here are a few photos:

Here are the paths... can't seem to get the images to show :doh:
The address you are posting looks like it was from the browser address bar. Wrong address for the img tag. To get the correct tag:
Right click on the image,
select Properties
Highlight the address listed ( in this case http://gallery.bateau2.comalbums/userpi ... 2B75_1.JPG)
Add that address to your post with tags -

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:00 pm
by putter
Thanks for the assistance, here is the other photo...

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:51 pm
by FLYonWALL9
Sweet looking ride, I bet that thing is gonna get
REAL skinny :!: 8)

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:43 am
by lung
Very impressive. I'll be ready to prime my D15 soon. Which primer are you using, Putter?

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:01 pm
by putter
I have been using the system3 high build primer and the system 3 topcoat. It is all water based and is pretty easy to apply. I was going to toll and tip, but I ended up buying a $99 HVLP gun from Northern Tool and it is much quicker and neater to apply. It is an air hog, so you need a pretty large compressor to keep it going. Also had to play with the thinning to get a nice even coat, but now it is laying on just fine.

Good luck.

CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:53 pm
by putter
Construction is now complete! :D :D Finished the paint yesterday on the interior and put it on the trailer last night. Still need to wire and rig the boat later this week once I make a few adjustments to the trailer.

Can not wait to launch and it looks like the date will be July 8th!!!

Here it is on the trailer, just fits in the garage...

More pictures in my gallery http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=14169

Boat Name - NEED HELP

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:17 pm
by putter
Now is the time to think seriously about a name for this boat. Thinking about the name “Woodyâ€

Re: Boat Name - NEED HELP

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:21 pm
by ks8
[quote="putter"]...Another one is “A Witchâ€

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:40 pm
by putter
Ks8,

Definitely do not want to burn her! Another thought was to call her "The Jobsite", as in I need to get out of the office to go to the Jobsite.

Thanks for the input.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:14 pm
by jeremy
I have seen a couple of bars named thusly around here. One called The Office and the other is The Boss's Office.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:57 pm
by stickystuff
The second half of the name is already taken My Ph 16 is called "Sport'N A Woody" You can thank my son for that one. I also have some 30 odd years in construction. No longer bang nails. Building Fire trucks now., and boats on the side.

Fire Trucks?

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:33 pm
by keysrat
PLease don't tell me....

E-ONE?

Ar-r-gh!

:roll:

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:38 pm
by robbiro
Putter
She is looking great, keep up the good work and giving some of us something to shoot for.

Ken
If you do build E-ONE trucks, thanks for good work. I spent 21 years as a volunteer fire fighter and our most recent truck is a walk over single cab pumper (1999) that has been great. I have hung up the turnouts, but the dept. is in the process of bidding out another truck. Hope that it comes from that same shop. Keep up the great build. Boats and trucks!!

Re: Boat Name - NEED HELP

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:02 am
by Mike Adams
putter wrote:Now is the time to think seriously about a name for this boat.

For all of you creative people, I am in the construction business and my wife's name is Sarah, Daughter's names are Hannah & Kelcy. I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks
That's a lovely looking boat, and a lovely looking boat deserves a nice name! If you are thinking of combining the names of the three lovely females in your life, what about "SANCY" ?

FYI - That's also the name of a famous gemstone (diamond) - see http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/sancydiamond.html

Good luck with the launch on July 8th - please post pics.

Regards from Oz,

Mike

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:35 pm
by putter
combining the names of the three lovely females in your life, what about "SANCY" ?

FYI - That's also the name of a famous gemstone (diamond)
That is an interesting suggestion... I kind of like it. Thanks for all of the input.

Finished making all of the necessary adjustments to the trailer last night and she is ready to take over the road to PU my new motor. Should be going saturday am to pickup the motor...

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:38 pm
by gk108
Mike may be onto something there. IMHO the D15 is a gem of a boat! :D

IT'S A LAUNCH!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:49 pm
by putter
Finally... she is in the water. Yesterday we had a successful launch of my D15. Ran the new motor with no trouble and made some adjustments to it to get it to plane better. Loaded the family and took off. My youngest daughter (4) lasted about 10minutes and needed to be taken back to the dock out of shear fright, so she and my wife were dropped off and my oldest daughter and I managed to get her up to 25mph (per my handheld GPS). Ran her out about 4 miles into the lake and turned around to head back.

Still working on figuring out my weight distribution (250lbs) and where I want to be with batteries and fuel tank to get things balance a bit better. All will take some trial and error along with me developing sea legs for how this little boat handles. Looking forward to it all.

Next is to finish the installation of the lights and fish finder and trolling motor and then it is time to fish (i might actually fish a bit before I get it fully rigged...)

Thanks to all for all of the assistance through out the build. I am looking forward to the family time in our new boat.

FYI, still have not named her yet, but working on it... hopefully this is not too big of a jinx.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:54 pm
by tech_support
Congratulations :)

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:50 pm
by ks8
Ah. On the water where she belongs. Looks great! :)

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:05 pm
by gk108
Excellent!
:D :D :D

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 pm
by Mike Adams
Nice job, puttter! She looks real pretty on the water. 8)

Mike

Putter's Putt Putt

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:59 pm
by lung
Beautiful job. I can't tell from the picture what kind and hp of motor you are using. Interested in how much hp it took to get 25 mph.

Once again, I'm impressed. You started your project 8 months before I did, and finished at least a month before I'll finish.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:01 pm
by lung
Oops. I meant to say you started 8 months after I did.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:00 am
by putter
what kind and hp of motor you are using. Interested in how much hp it took to get 25 mph.
I have a new Johnson 2-stroke 25hp with the standard prop out of the box. I had to adjust the motor so that it was in the closest setting to the transom so that it would plane better with just my daughter (50lbs) in the front and me in the back. This may change now that i have added 2 batteries toward the front. I will let you know. I am not planning on making any prop changes or anything fancy, just plan on tweaking the weight and locations.

I am planning on getting the boat and trailer weighed sooner or later, so I will let you know how much it weighs.

One other thought that I have been fooling around with is to add a removable seat across between the seats on the side to try to get my weight more in the center of the boat.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:04 pm
by mecreature
I have been following you on your D15...nice job...

let us know anything you wish you would have or have not done.

like where to put gas tank, batteries, stuff like that...maybe add a hatch...

I guess I am really asking how stables do you feel in it and how much weight do you think you can safely carry with that 25hp johnson?

does it feel too light up front.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:49 am
by putter
Took her out again this weekend after adding a trolling and starting battery for my outboard and she ran great with just me in it. plan on adding my family to continue to test it out.

I think when i add the extra passenger's weight in the front with additional passengers, i will need to adjust my motor position. this will probably be a back an forth thing based on who is with me.

As for any changes that i wish i made, i will be adding a seat position across from side to side near the rear of the boat to allow me to sit closer to the middle of the boat. this will balance her out a bit better so i do not have to lean way out toward the midline of the boat.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:16 am
by Oceola
Putter,
Nice job on your boat.
When I built my model D-15 I played around with a transverse seat. What I came up with is a sliding seat. It fits across the boat and overlaps the side benches about 2" on each side. It also is just wide enough so that it can hang along and against one of the longitudional stringers. Made from ply and well braced underneath, the braces 2 1/4" back about from each edge allow it to slide back and forth. Foward up against the mid seat it makes a good size casting platform (rubber non skid added to the paint) and when back can be moved to adjust balance with or without passangers. Anyway, just an Idea.
Frank

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:54 am
by putter
That sounds very similar to what I have been thinking of. I have been bouncing around the idea ove keeping it low enough to put a seat on it and have a compartment below for storage or to just keep it simple just as you have. Righ now I just have a board that I am going to try out to see how it works. Thanks for the input.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:28 pm
by jayb01
Putter, if I might ask.....where in Cola are you located? Any problems getting registered? Nice Job

Love to see your boat sometime, I live near Murray (unfortunately not on it though).....

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:06 am
by Jerry-rigged
Putter:

Great job on a beautiful design!

I have told myself that I will never again own a flat bottom boat, but every D15 I have seen pics of looks so good on the water, I may have to break that rule some day.

Enjoy the boat.

Jerry