Aquasport Rebuild - Classic "Flatback"

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

shine wrote:yes, its sold. The new owner should be picking it up this week or next. :)
Congratulations on sale, not to mention a job well done.

We are looking forward to the "how to" video part of the project.

Did you tell the new owner we have to have pics of the fully rigged and splashed project? :D
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Copro
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Copro »

So what did it sell for??

Jody

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

What's next?
I think an FS17 :doh:
We are looking forward to the "how to" video part of the project.

Did you tell the new owner we have to have pics of the fully rigged and splashed project?
Yes the tutorial on this one is going to be enormous, I am going to try and cover everything from how to select a good re-build candidate to painting. 8O 8O

The boat is sold as is, so it still has a lot of rigging to be done (I hate rigging and we do not have time to do it anyway). For that reason, we sold it for a little more than the material and labor cost; a bit under what we were asking for ($12k).

The new owner is going to have a custom tower built, rig it with a bracket and a new Suzuki 175, he will have double in the engine and rigging than what he has in the hull :!:

Part of the deal is that i get to go on a fishing trip when its ready. :)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

rubrail is on, white insert for rubrail goes in next, plus end caps...

In the foreground of this picture you will see our rubrail heating tool (28 quart turkey fryer) :D Used it to heat about 5 gallon of water to 180 degrees that was dumped into a drum with the rubrail and half filled with water - this was enough to make the rubrail quite limber for stretching

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

shine wrote: In the foreground of this picture you will see our rubrail heating tool (28 quart turkey fryer) :D Used it to heat about 5 gallon of water to 180 degrees that was dumped into a drum with the rubrail and half filled with water - this was enough to make the rubrail quite limber for stretching
:o :idea: Thanks for posting that little tip :!: I never thought about how stiff the rubrail is going to be. This is going to save me some major frustration. Let me see if I got it straight;

:?: Heat 5 gallons of water (got a big fryer).
:?: Put rubrail in a barrel (what ever is available)
:?: Dump hot water in the barrel (softens rubrail but too hot to handle)
:?: Add tap water to about half (to cool down to working temp)
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

tap water was already in the barrel so that it mostly covered the coiled up rubrail, the hot water just brought the level up over the rubrail. Yo may have to heat up more water until you feel it limber up. I would say 130-140 is plenty to soften the rubber.

If I were not inside a warehouse, I would have lit a fire under the drum :!:

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

shine wrote: If I were not inside a warehouse, I would have lit a fire under the drum :!:
Yea, I know what you mean. I can hear my neighbors now, "Uh, Charles why are building a fire on your driveway and what are you planning to cook in that big barrel?" :lol: :lol: :lol: They already think I'm out of my mind for rebuilding a boat anyway.

MD
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

I found that laying my rubrail in the afternoon sun for an hour or so was more than sufficient to soften it up for installation.

Josh

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

pictures of the boat being rigged, graciously sent to us by the new owner...

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

What the heck is that tube device on the left hand side of the motor bracket? It's got "power something XL" on it!

I would imagine the fit-out and rigging of a boat like that is a pretty impressive investment too eh?
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"