r550

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
mvalma
New Poster
New Poster

r550

Post by mvalma »

Wuold like to build the randonneur 550... I like it so much... but i am a really primer.... do you think it is possible or i´m going to waste my time and money?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

r550

Post by jacquesmm »

Hum, I shouldn´t do that, always get in troubles but . . . if you are interested in performance sailing, there may be a better choice.<BR>We are currently designing a 15´ sailing dinghy that will be easier to build than the R550.<BR>It is a cross between a R550 and the Javelin. That means, hull cross section like the R550, with proven flat, double chine but a lot less rocker. Not as straight as the Javelin but almost.<BR>The double chine will make the boat much more forgiving than a Javelin under spinnaker.<BR>She can be build as simple or a as sophisticated as you want. It is a modular boat: build a good basic hull to start and add features as you get to know her. <BR>Plans should be released next month. All hull design and calculations are done, all based on research by the University of Delft, NL. <BR>We may even calculate an optional carbon fiber mast.<BR>Temporary name and part number is "Alexa´s Rocket", the AR15. She will go as a rocket.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

r550

Post by LarryA »

Are you referencing the New Zealand Javelin or the Javelin in the UK/Europe? I assume from the flatness description it is probably the NZ Jav. Great boat and a pain to build the modern designs so the double chine will help a lot to reduce the compound curvature in the bow which is the hardest part. Good choice!

mvalma
New Poster
New Poster

r550

Post by mvalma »

So... not good news for me.... sigh<BR>Have you some in progress photos of a R550?<BR>Is there a link? Thank you for all...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

r550

Post by jacquesmm »

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><BR>On 2002-09-06 06:18, mvalma wrote:<BR>So... not good news for me.... sigh<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End --><BR><BR>Quite the opposite: Larry says that our double chine would be much easier to build. The new design is <!-- BBCode Start --><B>easier to build</B><!-- BBCode End --> than the R550 or the Javelin.<BR>BTW, it is the NZ Jav.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

r550

Post by LarryA »

Let me be a little more clear about what I meant. The NZ Jav is a single chined hull. There is a lot of compound curvature between the centerline and the chine in the bow to the point that bending the ply is nearly impossible and you really need to strip build it that small section (I have built two of them). A second chine will significantly reduce that compound curvature and make building the boat much simpler. <BR><BR>

mvalma
New Poster
New Poster

r550

Post by mvalma »

so... just wait for the rocket... thank you