Vg20 finally underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cepete02
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Post by cepete02 »

new to sail wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:59 am I assembled the bottom panels, wired and got them glued. Next I will add fillet and tape.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/profile.php?uid=5252
Great to see you're photos, looks great! I see you've been at this almost as long as me. I had a brief 20 yr hiatus while raising kids, but I'm recently back at it. I've got a long way to go to catch up to where you are! Keep up the good work!

Carl

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Hi Carl,

I will be looking forward to your progress. Glad to hear of another VG 20 in the works. Time has gotten away from me as well. I figured a couple of years tops, but here we are 15 years and then some.

Rick

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Got a chance to add a little more to my project. Had to wait a bit for a back order, but now I can continue.
I taped around the plexiglass to keep the silicone from getting messy. It kind of helped, but it is still a lot of work keeping everything clean.

Real happy the way the portlight went on and I think looks really sharp.

I did notice I've lost a lot of my early photos, what happened?

Rick
Last edited by new to sail on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

new to sail wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm
I did notice I've lost a lot of my early photos, what happened?

Rick
Checked a few old posts. The problem is that the image url refer to “normal_” images. Those have been removed due to space and software changes. When you see one of your posts with broken images just edit it and remove “normal_” from then front of the image name.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks Jaysen, that did the trick. I will go back and fix the rest.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Wow! Very nice, Rick! Looks like production quality

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks Bogie,

I appreciate the compliment. Getting excited the closer I get to the finish line. Although I have ideas on other things I may tackle with upgrades later on, but first the boat needs to see the water.

I was sorry to see you sell your boat. Enjoyed reading your posts and seeing where you were taking her.

Rick

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Got a chance to do a little work on the interior. I should be working on getting the rigging in place, but still looking for a trailer so I can move to a good spot to set the mast up. I tried to just epoxy over the tapped area but couldn't make it look even with the rest of the wood, so decided to just insert the whole piece.
So I bought enough wood by re-sawing the 3/4 in half to 3/8.
I was able to join the wood, I do need more practice, because even though I tried to get strait edges I would up with light coming thru in a couple of places.
I made a paper pattern to shape the wood.
Then I traced it out and cut to size.
I still had to notch out where the bulkhead came in, so I made a small template I cut work with to get a proper shape. The fillet and tape made it tricky.
The final piece put in place. Just need to varnish and finish all the trim.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice detail!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks Cape man. This has been a learning experience from day one.