Vg20 finally underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Post by new to sail »

Thanks Mick,

I followed the plan by inserting SS screws on each side of the HDPE pin to prevent movement. At this time there is no cover to block the pin. I will check before and after launch to see what the pin has done.
New to this, so I will watch and learn from others as time go

Rick

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I think i would use glass for a cover and drill out both sides of the cover to remove the pin if it is ever needed .

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

What a beautiful boat, will look even better in the water and fully rigged. (hope that was some sailor talk)

This pivot pin thing. Maybe post a few photos and better description these covers and access covers do and why cover.

Sorry, I try to follow along but sailboat talk makes my head spin... and I bought books even! :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Just started to think about the cover. Has there been situations where the pivot pin as come out? Does the weight of the centerboard on the pin help to keep it in place or does the healing motion put extra force on the pin causing it to move?

Rick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

This is what I have from the VG23 plans...I assume it is the same for Rick and the VG20?

I'm using a bolt for the CB pivot - currently drilled for 1/2 inch but thinking of going up to 3/4" or even 1". Hard to explain or get your head around without seeing the CB case installed inside the keel, that is inside the boat. The issue I have is that once installed inside the keel, the keel width isn't enough to be able to remove the bolt/rod for inspection or replacement.

The pivot design is good, but I'm worried that any side-impact on the CB would create huge shear-forces on the CB and bolt. If anything like that happens I want to be assess the damage. Probably over-thinking but it is the one bit of the boat that just can't be easily accessed once built.

After seeing Rick's keel photo last night I had a brain-wave, for good/bad, and was thinking of sealing that part of the keel off from the rest of the boat interior within the keel. Then installing the equivalent of a steel deck fuel/water screw hatch flush with the keel to minimize any drag or turbulence generation. It won't be a major problem even if there is any water ingress. Doing it that way I can always get to the pivot in the event of a problem - even in the middle of the ocean. Hope my explanation makes some kind of sense. I'm not at this stage yet with my VG23 but I've probably spent more time thinking about that pivot than anything else on the entire boat!!! Everything else on the design is fixable and accessible.

And until last night I was going the way Rick suggested - simply cover with glass and drill through if/when I ever decided to replace the pivot.

Hope that makes sense!

Mick
Last edited by Jaysen on Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image embedding
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The only problem you will encounter with a centerboard pivot if properly built is needing to removing the centerboard due to grounding or other accident. I have owned two a 13' and a 30' thru my father-in-law. Never had to replace either.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

The centerboard swings around a teflon tube that is placed inside a SS tube on the VG 20
It is a different than the example Mick shows.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Interesting! Completely different design. Now I see why you have the holes drilled in the keel.

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm going to think on it some more - still a way to go before I have to finalise my own pivot.

Good luck getting your boat in the water - I'll be following along!

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

This may show a little more detail

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Okay, that makes sense now. In contrast, for the VG23, the pivot bolt does not extend out to the keel sides. So I may cut a hole in the keel to be able to access it via a small port/hatch. I'll post photos when I get to that part of the build.

Interesting how the different versions of this boat have evolved (VG18, VG20, VG23 and on to VG26!).

Good luck with your build!

Mick