Page 1 of 1

Vg20 finally underway

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:59 am
by new to sail
I assembled the bottom panels, wired and got them glued. Next I will add fillet and tape.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/profile.php?uid=5252

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:03 pm
by Lucky_Louis
Looking great so far. This is the most exciting part, watching your new boat take shape before your eyes.

Your photo link will only work as long as your image is the newest one uploaded in the whole bateau2.com gallery. That's what the "....?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0" means. The correct link to this picture is

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... embled.jpg

The way I get this info is to open the photo in my gallery, right-click on it, select 'properties'. Then you can cut and paste this link between the URL html tags. If you want to display the image directly here in your post, use the Img tag instead of the URL tags. Like this -

{img}http://gallery.bateau2.comalbums/userpi ... d.jpg{/img}

which produces this when the correct square brackets are used ...

Cheers and build on, more pictures!

Looks good

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:13 pm
by Justin Pipkorn
I don't see a frame forward around bulkhead B. This is a tricky part of the hull to get the right shape. I notice that you have a frame at the transom. This is a good idea. You may think that every panel is constrained by the frames but I found that a little 1/2 inch tweek forward would shift the panel 1/2 inch aft.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:55 am
by new to sail
Thanks for the responses.

Louis:
My next photo I'll try to use your technique. When I used my Mac I could not get the picture properties. I see what you mean when I tried this with my windows laptop.

Justin:
I acually do have a frame at the B location as well as a brace at 0. The picture was taken just missing that view.
I do need to brace a couple of the frames better because when I got inside to clean up and remove ties I got some movement that may cause problems later.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:21 am
by ks8
On a Mac...

ctrl click on the image and you get a popup menu. Select the choice...

Open Image in New Window

Then, in that window that opens, copy the URL of that window. This would be the address that you paste in between the two IMG commands. As usual, one of several ways to do the same thing on a Mac. :)

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:25 am
by new to sail
Thanks ks8.

You just made my day, I prefer my mac and plan on including more pictures.

RJ

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:49 pm
by ks8
You're quite welcome. And of course, I hope it is much more difficult to break your day compared to how easy it seems to *make* it. :lol: :wink:

Looking forward to the pictures. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:17 am
by new to sail
Slowly getting there, after a couple of rainy days, a dry spell let me proceed with another area to fibergalss.

I was hoping for a stretch of dry weather to finish the inside so I can begin placing the bulkheads.

RJ

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:50 am
by new to sail
I am so addicted to this project.

During the week at work it seems all I can think about is the weekend and the next addition to the boat.

Here is my latest results. I can position, tack in place, then fillet and tape each side one bulkhead each weekend.

Rick

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:38 am
by new to sail
Slowly making progress, a few random shots of what I have been up to.

Also I had a nice visit with Justin and his lovey wife, Edith as they were headed north to a boat show. Justin had some nice things to say about my boat, but the thing that inspired me was the chance to see Just Right inside and out. A great boat that I hope I can some day duplicate.

Closing in the forward areas with lockers, have not painted inside yet or glued tops on yet

Seems like it takes forever to put the framing in place.

More framing under sole. I hope to paint and glue it on soon.

Everying seems to find its place

Interior look. I probably should find an area to work on and finish up but I get so anxious to see the next step I can't wait to see how it going to look.

RJ

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:10 am
by Daniel Huckleberry
The boat and your work look great. I say do the work that keeps you working. If that means pushing forward and sorting out the small stuff later, go for it!!

It is cool to see the sailboats come together. The big ones are rare so it's a nice change on the board.

Good luck and great building

Huck

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 am
by new to sail
More progress after some time away.

I got the inside bunks finished and have started on the backs of the seating area.

The other area that got by attention is the skirt.
Attached the skirt transom before cutting any part of the hull away.

I chose to add the frames in the skirt lockers which I hope will add a little more strength and prevent any vibration problems that Justin said he experienced.

Painted the inside of the skirt with Pigmented epoxy and have added more framing for the covers.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:54 am
by topwater
Never saw this thread before, nice to see a big sailboat being
built. Youre doing a great job, keep posting pic's.

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am
by dborecky
Great looking build. I would love to put together a large sailboat as well.... I just live in the wrong place for a deep draft boat....

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:13 am
by davekf
Welcome back! Your VG20 is looking good.

-Dave :D

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:42 am
by new to sail
Thanks,

I try to do a little something each week, but other projects and work keep getting in the way.

One thing that I always do is read the board and look at the other boats going together and trying to learn from their experience.

This has to be one of my greatest pleasures—building my own boat!

rick

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:04 am
by Cracker Larry
That's a complex boat for a first build. You are doing a beautiful job 8)

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 am
by new to sail
Making progress, I got tired of fairing and sanding the inside so I decided to work on the outside and began working on the deck.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:21 pm
by Justin Pipkorn
Consider planning out your deck hardware and adding backup pads on the underside of the deck panels before final assembly. Winches and sail track in particular.

Boat looks good.

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:51 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Justin,

Do you think it easier to add the pads now or would it work out to put them in
after the deck is in place and roller over? It seems like it would be simpler to have the deck in place so bulkheads won't get in way.

Rick

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 pm
by Justin Pipkorn
The pads that I am talking about are shown in this picture.
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/just ... s/pads.jpg

This only works if you know where you want to locate the deck fittings. I thought out the deck layout well ahead of time and purchased some of the major items like winches.

I just thought that it was easier to glue on the pads before assembling the deck panels.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 pm
by gk108
I don't know if there are any places where it could happen on your boat, but one of the mooring cleats on my D15 ended up right next to a butt block, so I made the cleat backer and the butt block in one piece. That was much easier than trying to scab a piece next to the butt block and make it come out level.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:58 pm
by ks8
Looking good! I like the frame on the skirt that will have an outboard hanging off of it. Enjoy getting her decked out. :)

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 am
by new to sail
More progress, feels like a boat and even is beginning to look like a boat.

Front half of deck glued down after primer was painted on the forward section of the interior. Maybe I should have waited to attach the deck until all of the inside was primed, but just to eager to see how she will shape up.

Here are some of the interior shots with the first coat of yacht primer applied.

The galley area will need a little bit of planning so will probably wait till further down the line to finish up.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:17 pm
by sitandfish
I haven't been able to build a boat of my own but I have always enjoyed watching all of you build yours. Thought I would pass along a word of encouragement. I’m not even quite sure why but your build is my favorite. Even the cradle that you built gets a big thumbs up from me. It’s a big project and each step gets you that much closer. Best wishes on your boat build!

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 am
by new to sail
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

My project is shaping up, but I am not sure I could pull this off without the aid of this forum and the experiences of the other builders. Even though the plans all differ from each model of boat the techniques are pretty much the same. Some of the things I like best are some of the innovations that come to play. Those builders that give a blow by blow account of their project is priceless. The talents and creativity of the builders and the aid the designer gives when questions come about have helped to guide me.

Thanks again to everyone
Rick

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 am
by Justin Pipkorn
Rick,

The latest pictures show real progress. You must be feeling pretty good to see so many area nearly finished. I recognize lots of the cutouts and shelves. Work looks good.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:19 am
by Dimitris
We haven't heard from you for a while. How is your build going?

I am about to start a stretched VG18 soon.

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:36 am
by new to sail
Dimitris thanks for asksing,

Not nearly as steady as I planned. The honey do list overpowered me this year. Sadly the weather was ideal for my outdoor boat build and was unable to capitalize on it. However the outdoor project my wife wanted worked out well.

I did get a few things assembled and I was able to get glass on the deck. We have been having rain on the weekends now so I have to keep the boat covered. Although it looks like a dry week end is coming and I hope to finish a couple of the interior projects. I need to glue the cockpit seats in and hopefully turn the hull over before the end of the year thats when we usually get most of our rain.

I plan to take more pictures and get them uploaded.

Rick

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:39 pm
by bondo
I know what you mean new to sail, It really isn't that a boat takes 1 or 2 or 5 years to build. Distractions and momentum come and go. The boat looks great. I'm glad to see that you are still on it.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 am
by new to sail
Thought I should add a few updated pictures even though my progress this year has been slow.
I managed to get the deck glassed but have not filled the weave as of yet.
I did a few revisions and additions inside, trying to get the feel for the comfort that I think I might need.
This last of couple of weeks, I got motivated to dive back in, but the weather has changed to the point
that I'm not sure what I can do next.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:19 pm
by ks8
Nice. 8)

Here's the link to his gallery for those who would like to see the larger images. :)

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=15252

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:56 am
by AussieBoater
very nice... I enjoyed looking through your photos :)

VG 20 interior

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 am
by Justin Pipkorn
Here's a panorama that I took of Just Right's interior.

Looks like you are making real progress. Just add a little paint and your will look like this.

Re: VG 20 interior

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm
by sitandfish
Justin Pipkorn wrote:Here's a panorama that I took of Just Right's interior.

Looks like you are making real progress. Just add a little paint and your will look like this.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:05 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Justin,
That picture helps to remind me of what is possible. Hopefully this year sets in motion a completed project.

Rick

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 am
by new to sail
I have been playing chicken with the weather lately. Either rain or cold has slowed me down a bit.
Started closing up the cockpit area to prepare for gluing on the seats so as to prepare for flipping the hull.
I have assembled plywood to make a locker under the seat with a door to be added.
Some progress has been achieved. Hopefully I can put primer on soon and then paint inside the locker befor gluing seats on.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:20 pm
by ks8
How these little changes can slow it down, eh? :) But how glad we can be when all is done, and those changes are there to make use of. I'm loving popping in different modules for different days and agenda in my little boat. They will keep me busy another year! :lol: How true that the boat is never finished. We may be worse than the women and their kitchens and bathrooms? Enjoy those mods. :D

Keep the pictures coming. 8)

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:52 pm
by bondo
Nice, looks good. I like the ply locker door. Lighter than a plastic one. Working outside must be challenging.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 am
by new to sail
The weather has fowled up my time schedule, but have made some progress. I finally got a chance to start applying the primer.
My first coat went down good several weeks back, however I found areas I didn't fair good enough so had to go back and use quick fair and then re apply epoxy before I got this coat of primer down. Building the wood structure is one thing but the details envolved before painting is something else all together.
During those rainy days I worked on the locker doors. My plan is to add several coats of epoxy, then attempt to varnish them.
more of the primed area under the cockpit.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:49 am
by Justin Pipkorn
This is a good time to think about drainage, both from lockers, cockpit, and the top of the seat. The VG20 plans sloped the cockpit floor aft. (Assuming that the boat is floating level on the waterline.) But the shape of the seat top slopes back and traps water in the forward outboard corner. I provided drain holes from the seat top compartments through the deck. Later, to partially solve the drainage problem, I drilled drain holes which allowed the seat top to drain into the compartment and then overboard. This was partially succussful but meant that the contents of the locker were wet. Since I just use the forward compartment locker to store tails of the various lines, it wasn't too serious. Later, I also added drain hole in the aft corner of the seat/transom connection. I can swab water on the seat back to the drain hole. You can just make out the holes I am talking about in this picture.

I presume that you plan to keep the outboard fuel containers in the aft lockers. I left my aft lockers open.

You can also see the negative camber I built into the cockpit floor so that water would eventually drain into the center cockpit drain hole.

These may seem like trivia until you come on deck in the morning and find the seat covered by condensation. Actually, the Vagabond is very dry under sailing conditions. I don't remember ever having water in the cockpit (except in torrential Florida rain storms) or even on deck.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:39 am
by new to sail
Needed to move the boat out so we could have a cement driveway poured.

It was a long day of pulling and tugging to get the boat in the garage, the last three feet
didn't go according to plan and the boat slid off the cradle.

I guess being outdoors for five years took its toll on the strongbacks or I just didn't make them beefy enough

on to other things for now. I have since blocked the hull off of the ground will rebuild the cradle later.
It's a snug fit but it has a place in the garage for now

Just enough room for the door to close. Even though my wife isn't crazy about parking her car outside, I now have a lot more room to move around the sides.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:30 am
by new to sail
Made a little more progress. I had a chance to paint under the cockpit seating

Here is one of the locker doors in place. At this point 2 coats of epoxy have been applied. I plan on one more coat before putting on three coats of varnish.

This is the back side of door showing hardware in place with 2 coats of paint inside of locker.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 am
by new to sail
Finally back to my project. Glued in the cockpit seating and taped everything off and filled the weave.Image
Resin coated everything on top and set the seat back in place for a view of what it will look like.Image
Now the part I've been dreading, the flip. I bought the tow straps a couple of month ago, but was not sure how I would use them. Then I saw what bondo did with his Adele 14 and thought I could do the same. It was a one man show but I was able to invert the boat in a little over 3 and a half hours. Now I can begin glassing the outside. It has got to be easier than all those nooks and crannies on the inside. Image

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 am
by Justin Pipkorn
Congratulations on sticking with the project. The hull looks great. Very inovative scheme for turning boat single handed.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am
by new to sail
Thanks Justin, It was a chore.

It will take time to finish the bottom and build the composite keel before turning again. I'm not looking forward to that again, but I will be extremely happy when it's done.

Rick

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:30 am
by popiworks
Nicely done. It proves you don't need a lot of space to build one of these. What are the plans for getting it out of there and onto a trailer?

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 am
by new to sail
Well, we moved the hull out once before and into the garage over the summer so we could have a cement driveway poured. We extended the fence and added a double gate to get the boat back in. The only problem we had, was that the hull was wider than the opening allowed with the gates on. Once we removed the gate we had about an inch to spare.

Once the boat is completed I hope we can use the straps again to lift it up and run a trailer underneath of her. Not sure if the trailer will be wider than the widest part of the boat, but we will see.

Rick

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:46 pm
by popiworks
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 am
by new to sail
I got some time off from work between the holidays to make some progress on the boat. Got the chines glued sanded, rounded over and taped.

I cut the bottom glass way back when the plywood was first cut and assembled and placed in the mold.
After about 6 years, it has plenty of creases in it where it had been stored for all that time. I placed in position
and carefully pulled it tight hoping to smooth it our before glassing into place. Don't if it will matter because the
resin will take our the wrinkles anyway.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:11 am
by gstanfield
Nice to see some progress, she's looking good :D

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:57 pm
by bondo
Right Gstan, it's looking great. Love the pictures. I realize how much more sophisticated your boat is than the Adelie. You have done really nice work.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:46 am
by new to sail
Thanks guys,

I more impressed with your efforts than what I have been attempting. After seeing what Bondo has done on the inside of his build, I got brave and climbed under mine this weekend. It seems like I am never going to get done filleting, sanding, taping, sanding, filling, sanding and painting.

Rick

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:17 pm
by bondo
Amen.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 am
by new to sail
Preparing to tape inside along the upper chines and where the bulkheads meet the deck. View facing forward, lots of taping yet to do.
Looking toward the back, some parts painted, some areas just resin coated and a couple areas with primer. Still much more to do.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am
by Justin Pipkorn
Nice work. Your first pciture looking forward shows the horizontal stringers and the narrow shelves aft. I think you'll like those simple additions. They lend an amazing amount of strength to those fairly large, otherwise unsupported hull panels.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 pm
by bondo
Looks great. I think you are farther along than you let on. Complete the cabin and you will be able to see the finish line. (I didn't say it was close I just said you could see it)

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 am
by new to sail
Thanks Justin and Bondo, I am making progress. I only get time on the weekends and even those get cut now and again. I wish I knew more about boats, but fortunately I have been following your lead and others on the board which has helped move things along

Rick

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 am
by new to sail
More progress over the weekend. Glassed the bottom panels and started on the sides

Lost count on how many trips to the jugs of epoxy. Starting mixing batches of 12 oz., but had to drop back to 6 oz. because the resin began heating up. Very messy process working on the side. Only one side left to go, hopefully next weekend.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 am
by new to sail
Applied the mixed fairing compound to the bottom and started the sanding process.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 pm
by bondo
Your hull layup looks like it went really well. I am trying to learn the fairing process also. Everything I read said it's easy but I am off to a slow start with the stuff.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 am
by new to sail
Thanks bondo, I think I finally got it figured out how to lay the glass with the least amount of resin and thanks to others for showing how its done.
Applying the fairing mixture seems to be another trick that needs work. I'm not sure if my resin to premix is alway accurate. I haven't seen any sagging but it sure is tough to sand off. I am now using 60 grit sand paper, but still spending a lot of time and managed to burn up my orbital sander. Maybe I should drop down to 50 or 40 grit.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:13 pm
by new to sail
Finally got the first round of fairing compound on and have started the sanding process. Although after reading others who have faired their hulls, I think I've made to much work out of it. I used both my orbital sander and long board to get this layer smooth.
I guess I just need to rough sand to begin with until most of the high spots are gone before going for extra smooth.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 am
by new to sail
Finished sanding the third coat of blended filler on the bottom panels. I need to order another batch of filler to finish the sides.Image
Waiting for the arrival of filler, I tapped the inside chines and bulkheads to the deck and have begun sanding.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 pm
by Justin Pipkorn
I remember well working inside the upside down VG20. I measured the length of the FG tape needed and Edith on the outside cut the strip and rolled on epoxy at the bench and then handed the strip to me. Saved lots of time. When I sit inside the cabin now and feel all those smooth fillets on the ceiling, I sometime wonder how I did it.

BTW, I recently had an email from a New Mexico VG builder about hatches. I decided to share some pictures of the hatches I built for Just Right and put them up at:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281

I was proud of the hatch and was very satisfied with how well it worked. The pictures show a lot of the details of the little gutters and drains that made the design successful. I also showed the inside seat hatches. Also found a few pictures that showed some of the deck rigging.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:50 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Justin,

I like the newest pictures you uploaded. I hope to be able to incorporate some of those ideas on my boat when
I get that far. I have some questions I will need answers to when I get that far, I hope you don't mind helping me solve them.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 am
by new to sail
I think I finished most of the fairing now. I have epoxy coated to seal the fairing compound and will sand again before putting on primer.

I sanded the final sealer coat with 80 grit sand paper using an orbital sander.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 am
by Justin Pipkorn
Looks good.

The real trick is to determine when to stop with each successive layer and go on to the next. I"m not sure how many boats one has to build before finding that out. The primer is wonderful stuff and a delight to sand after the other fillers. I think I put on multiple coats of a two part smelly primer before I discovered the S3 primer. It is much nicer to work with and since it dries and cures quickly, you can lay on multiple coats in less time. On Lissa, the boat I just completed, I needed about four coats of primer. I think I lay it on too thin.

Now that I've used the boat for over ten years, I observe that even when the color coats are damaged, that the primer stays intact.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 pm
by WouldWork
Mate your pics are great, they really give a good perspective to the size of the boat, she's big!

Looks awesome, really awesome! Keep going!

Cam.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:47 am
by new to sail
Thanks Justin and Cam for the nice comments.

I have been making more progress. Got the 3rd coat of S3 primer on, what a difference. After weeks of sanding and filling finally something to look at that resembles a boat.

My next step will be working on the composite keel.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:00 pm
by bondo
Wow! That is really cool to see. It looks great doesn't it? You must be excited to see how good the work looks. Suddenly there is a boat there. Way to go.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:36 pm
by dale1956
Looks like all that hard work is paying off! Keep it up.

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am
by new to sail
Back to work on the keel. Started the tapping process with fillets and plenty of tape. I was very happy with the results of cutting all the tape before hand then wetting them out on a table covered with plastic. When the laminating schedule called for multiple layers I would wet them all out at once and apply wet on wet

The tape is trimmed even with the frames all around. Now I will attempt to put the side piece on, tape the inside portion and add lead.

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm
by peter-curacao
That looks cool and strong!

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:30 pm
by bondo
Wow, that looks serious. Nice work. Lead ballast goes in those cavitys?

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 am
by new to sail
Thanks Peter and Bondo. Yes the lead will be added in those areas after the bottom half of plank is in place and taped. I've glued on the bottom portion and have taped the inside as well. The SS pipe is installed and cut flush. My next step will be to tape the outside in preparation for adding the lead.

I couldn't wait to see how the centerboard looked. Not to mention before I went further thought it prudent to make sure it did rotate up and down without hitting anything.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 am
by peter-curacao
Wow building that part is almost as much work as building a small boat 8O
Looks cool

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:49 am
by new to sail
Thanks Peter, your right about the work involved. I read from another builder who made this keel who stated he thought it had as much glass in it as some of the smaller boats.

Rick

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 pm
by Justin Pipkorn
You get my award for "sticking with it".

Suggestion: When filling with lead, fill the cavities from the front first. In my opinion, the boat benefits from a little more weight forward.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 am
by new to sail
Thanks Justin,
It has taken some effort and time to get this far. I will take your suggestion and start filling in the lead at the front first. I always appreciate those who have more experience lending their knowledge.

Rick

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:27 pm
by new to sail
Back at it again. Not always easy to find the time to work on the project like I want to. But I am almost done with the keel and want to finish the boat itself.
I melted the lead to fill the compartments and the weight should be around 400 lbs. right now. Once I get the tape and all the other layers of glass on, I will be able to finish with the additional 150 lbs.

2 more layers to go

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:49 am
by new to sail
More progress and a deeper respect for you guys who are perfectionists.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:55 am
by peter-curacao
new to sail wrote:More progress and a deeper respect for you guys who are perfectionists.
Looks like you are quite the perfectionist yourself, man that all looks great! 8)

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:16 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Peter,
It was builds like yours that keeps me going

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:36 pm
by new to sail
I have finally got back in gear and got some pictures taken. Had a few setbacks, health and finance, but plan to continue slow but sure.
Painted inside the cockpit seat lockers before gluing down the seat backs.Image
Got a couple of layers of fairing compound applied and sanded.
Added a wedge to cockpit seat for the traveler to bolt to.
Planning on finishing the cockpit area with paint. Except for the seat backs which I hope to varnish.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:02 pm
by jacquesmm
Looks good and glad to see that you restarted the project.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:04 am
by ks8
I had forgotten about this one. Just looking at that keel hurts my back :lol: , but she is looking clean and good. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:59 am
by new to sail
Another round of primer.
Ugh...ran out of primer
I guess while I wait for more I will start working on the companionway hatch

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 pm
by terrulian
Great progress, very nice work.
I like those big coaming boxes and don't know why I don't see them on more boats. You'll need drain holes in them, right?

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:49 pm
by ks8
8)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:03 pm
by new to sail
Thanks for the kind words and smiles.
Yes, I did add a drainage system behind the seats. Shown in the following picture, water can pass thru and and out the transom.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:55 am
by new to sail
started working on companionway hatch. Built rails from vertical grain DF and cu groove for slides.
Decided to upgrade hatch cover with more of a curve to it. Still in design stage.Image
Had to cut grooves in plywood to make curve, then filled with thickened epoxy.
I plan on cutting strips of mahogany to finish it off.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:57 am
by jacquesmm
Very nice.
Much more work than bent plywood but much nicer.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:08 am
by new to sail
Getting close to finishing the sliding hatch
Glued on front end of hatch

Positioned mahogony strips on top of hatch

secured strips in place

First coat of clear epoxy applied.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 pm
by new to sail
More progress between rain and the work week.
Cut out my pieces and drilled oversize holes for mounting screws. Image
another view of my plans for a hatch cover.
Tee nuts inserted for screws to be used a later time.
Sealed the ss tee nuts with thickened epoxy. Also made a curved cover to match the hatch.
These are the pieces needed to glue together.Image
Screws on bottom of hatch will slide into slotted holes on the rail.Image
The hatch cover glued together and temporary screws that will be removed after glue dries.
I'm going to add fiberglass next to finish up.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am
by jacquesmm
Nice hatch. The color contrast is going to come when coated with epoxy.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:47 pm
by new to sail
I've been slow to post pictures, but my hatch is very close to what I envisioned when I started. Although now I wish I would have taken
a few wood shop classes in High School. Now that I'm this far I can see why the designers get paid the big bucks to figure this stuff out.

I plan to plug the holes after I get the paint on. I am going to varnish the wood after that.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 pm
by new to sail
After a period of time away with other distractions I was able to get back to work on this project. I wanted to get the portholes done so I can put more light inside the cabin.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:38 pm
by narfi
looking good!

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:20 am
by Jeff
Really nice work!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:07 am
by Eric1
Very Nice! :D

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 am
by new to sail
Thanks all for the kind remarks. This has been a big project and taken a lot more time than I planned. Still having fun!

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 am
by peter-curacao
As always beautiful work, men that hatch also turned out great 8)

Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 pm
by terrulian
I found your post when you were looking for a rig and it looks like you haven't posted on this string for awhile.
If you have some recent photos of your progress, please post, I'd like to see them. :D

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:49 am
by new to sail
I added a mahogany trim piece on the transom and have been drilling holes for hardware the last couple of week ends.Image

I still need to locate and place the holes for rudder fittings on transom. The rudder is glassed, so I need to sand, fill weave, fair and prime. It seems that I will have to raise the boat higher, so I can position rudder to place the hardware.

Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 pm
by terrulian
Great stuff. This is a really fun part of the build--conceptualizing and installing the rig and hardware.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:50 pm
by Bogieman
Glad to see you're back! I'm looking forward to following along as you move forward.

Bogie

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:59 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Tony and Bogie,

It seems like every time I get started something comes up to distract me and week-ends are to short. I hope to see this in
the water before much longer.

Rick

Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:22 pm
by Bogieman
new to sail wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:59 pm Thanks Tony and Bogie,

It seems like every time I get started something comes up to distract me and week-ends are to short. I hope to see this in
the water before much longer.

Rick
Rick,
The VG20 is a rather large undertaking. I really wanted to build the VG18 or VG20 but the reality is I'll probably never own a vehicle big enough to pull one :( . So instead I started building the AD16 a few months ago in my back yard. I like the Adelie but have to admit I'm a bit envious of those of you building the Vagabonds.

Bogie

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:18 am
by Bogieman
Hi Rick! How's it going? Any updates?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am
by new to sail
Got sidelined for a while, my better half decided it was time to paint the inside of the house. So what ever the boss says goes.
Well I don't know if I'm jumping the gun, but decided to install the keel.
I got a couple of hoists rigged on both ends of boat and raised the boat enough to insert the trunk and keel into place.

I wanted to finish the inside, so I taped and have started to fill the weave and begin fairing.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 am
by Bogieman
Man that boat looks great! And , I'm soooo jealous.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 am
by Jeff
Nice work NTS!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:01 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Jeff for the compliments, this forum has given me a lot of support.

Bogie I appreciate your kind remarks. I have to admit, after the years that I have been working on this, watching
your build has help keep me going. Sometimes it feels like I will never finish. I get a spark of energy when I see
projects like yours underway.

Rick

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm
by Bogieman
new to sail wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:01 pm Thanks Jeff for the compliments, this forum has given me a lot of support.

Bogie I appreciate your kind remarks. I have to admit, after the years that I have been working on this, watching
your build has help keep me going. Sometimes it feels like I will never finish. I get a spark of energy when I see
projects like yours underway.

Rick
You're very welcome and likewise. Your boat is going to be a beauty when she's done. Where do you plan to sail her? I'm at a bit of a stand still on mine right now-have to refill the coffers.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:04 pm
by new to sail
I'm kind of in the same boat (pardon the pun) money wise. I'm still looking into mast and boom along with a trailer. Didn't really think
about that aspect of the project. We have a few lakes around, within a 50-100 mile radius. My wife refuses to sail in the ocean, but says
lakes will be fine. My goal (once I learn to sail) is to trailer to different areas and enjoy the adventure.

Rick

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:16 am
by new to sail
Made more progress. Lined up the grudgeons on both the rudder and transom. I was surprised how long this thing is. I had to jack up the boat again to hang the rudder.

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 am
by Jeff
Nice work New to Sail!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:17 pm
by Bogieman
Hi Rick!

Man, every time you post a pic of your progress I just seem to get more and more jealous :lol: You are doing a great job building my dream boat.

Bogie

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:08 pm
by new to sail
More small achievements as I plug away

The hatch needed a way to sit level on the curve of the deck so add a small spacer.

Installed the pipe that operates the centerboard from the top of deck to cockpit

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:12 pm
by Jeff
Nice work new to sail!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:41 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Jeff,
Seems like my progress is slower than I would like. I keep finding little things to do that seem tp tale up a lot of time.

Rick

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:54 pm
by Jeff
I think that is called Boat Building Rick!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:07 pm
by Bogieman
Niiiice! Oh, how I wish I was building the same boat. Love the cabin too.

Bogie

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:19 pm
by new to sail
Jeff, I must say boat building is an adventure unto itself.

Thanks Bogie, even though the interior is small I hope it will feel like a big boat.

Rick

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:33 pm
by Bogieman
new to sail wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:19 pm Jeff, I must say boat building is an adventure unto itself.

Thanks Bogie, even though the interior is small I hope it will feel like a big boat.

Rick
I've never had the opportunity to be in the cabin of the VG20, but it seems the most was made of the available space. Looks like there's plenty of sleeping room in that cozy v berth and I'm sure the addition of that hatch will make it seem even roomier. It also looks like there's plenty of room in the galley area, as long as one is ok doing everything from a seated position. I know I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love your boat! And you're doing a great job on her.

Bogie

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Bogie for the kind words and interest you have expressed.
I know you will enjoy your boat too, just from the spectacular work that you have done!

Rick

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 am
by Bogieman
Hi Rick! Happy New Year! Any new progress on your fine build? Your thread is my favorite one on this forum. Anyway, I should be rolling pretty good again by early spring as the rest of my plywood (8 sheets) arrives today and I picked up flotation foam last week. Got to save a bit more for more epoxy, tape and glass though...

Bogie

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:19 am
by new to sail
Hi Bogie, and a happy new year right back at you. The rainy season has spoiled my weekends lately and the holidays had us running in too many
directions.
Before Christmas I started working on the galley area a little bit and this is where I am on hold until I get a good weekend .

Thanks for asking,
Rick

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:34 am
by Bogieman
new to sail wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:19 am Hi Bogie, and a happy new year right back at you. The rainy season has spoiled my weekends lately and the holidays had us running in too many
directions.
Before Christmas I started working on the galley area a little bit and this is where I am on hold until I get a good weekend .

Thanks for asking,
Rick
Wow! That really looks great! If she were mine I'd be tempted to sleep in there already :D Thanks for posting the pic.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 am
by Biney777
Rick, great looking build. I am in the middle of an AR15 and after seeing your pics, I am thinking "awww man mine doesn't even have a cabin, much less a galley!" Btw, that custom built sliding hatch was impressive!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 am
by OrangeQuest
Everything built on this boat is impressive! Very nice work!

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:50 am
by new to sail
Wow, all I can say is thanks for the nice comments. I have been checking out your builds as well, which helps inspire me to keep going. I have taken too much time on the little things and feel like I'm not making any progress toward getting her on the water.
Hopefully this year will bring things to a conclusion.

Thanks again,
Rick

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:48 am
by pee wee
You've touched on a major point with build decisions- What is the goal. Goal: build the best boat you're capable of, spare no time or expense. Goal: build a good boat- start using it sooner, accept compromises for time and budget. Goal: build something functional you can use in the shortest time possible.

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 pm
by Biney777
Hank, is so right. I, of course have used all 3 criteria during the same boat build and sometimes in the same day! My biggest struggle has been overcoming the fear of doing something "wrong". That has put my progress on hold many times. And usually ends with "f it , if i have to fix it later I will!

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:42 am
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:58 pm Hank, is so right. I, of course have used all 3 criteria during the same boat build and sometimes in the same day! My biggest struggle has been overcoming the fear of doing something "wrong". That has put my progress on hold many times. And usually ends with "f it , if i have to fix it later I will!
:lol: Well put and ditto.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am
by new to sail
I know you guys are right about objectives. I think ego plays in it as well. I want the finished product to be something to be proud of and not have family and friends think to themselves you put all that time and money for "that".
I'm sure it's just me.

Rick

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:15 pm
by Bogieman
new to sail wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am I know you guys are right about objectives. I think ego plays in it as well. I want the finished product to be something to be proud of and not have family and friends think to themselves you put all that time and money for "that".
I'm sure it's just me.

Rick
Same here, Rick!

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:21 pm
by Fuzz
Bogieman wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:15 pm
new to sail wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am I know you guys are right about objectives. I think ego plays in it as well. I want the finished product to be something to be proud of and not have family and friends think to themselves you put all that time and money for "that".
I'm sure it's just me.

Rick
Same here, Rick!
I am pretty sure all of us go though the same thing. It is tough to be totally happy with the first build. The more you do it the better the outcome.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:41 pm
by Biney777
I'm sure it's just me.

Rick
No, it is just that people are dumb. Once when my building a boat in my basement was brought up in conversation. (not by me). The response was, "Oh, I built one once out of paper." I did not comment. 8O
My first build might just make "nice" working boat standard and I have gotten nothing but complements and admiration from knowledgable people. I say "Build On!" and if anyone ever critiques the boat you built with your own hands ask them of they know the meaning of (keel hauled??) Just sayin... :D

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 pm
by terrulian
Somehow I've missed this build! Great stuff, great work, and a fine looking boat. I'll be tuning in from now on.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm
by Bogieman
new to sail wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:47 pm
I plan to plug the holes after I get the paint on. I am going to varnish the wood after that.

Thanks for taking these detailed pics. I'm thinking how to do my companionway framing. I like how you did yours.

Bogie

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 am
by Rtorres2411
Wow I just looked thru this entire thread and all I have to say you have been doing an impressive job. This build inspired me to build my own companion way slides and make an addition to the galley on my sailboat.
Build on and keep posting pictures.

Ruben

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 am
by new to sail
Thanks Tony, Bogie and Ruben,

I appreciate your remarks, but you are going to make my head swell and I know my wife wouldn't like that :lol:

Rick

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:40 pm
by Bogieman
:D

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:30 pm
by new to sail
Weather turned nice, but still cool. I decided to work on the galley, but should have done more homework. The alcohol stove is nice except it has changed how I wanted things to look. Its bigger than I thought it would be. I had to decide where to start cutting. One of my hardest decisions.

I thought I would start planning the trim before I did any serious cutting.

I built a type of sled to install the stove on because I found out after the fact that it is a clam style opening to install the alcohol. So I needed a way to slide the stove out far enough to open.

Cutting out the front of the galley hopefully will work out. Kind of planned on the fly.

The next step will be cut the counter top to fit and some cosmetic work. Keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't make a mistake with my plan of action.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:48 pm
by terrulian
Looks good to me. Keep the reports coming.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 pm
by Bogieman
Great googly moogly! Man am I jealous! Very nice, Rick.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 am
by new to sail
Thanks Tony and Bogie, I really appreciated your comments

Rick

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 am
by Jeff
Nice progress Rick!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:37 am
by terrulian
Great googly moogly!
Now, Bogie, it takes a real sophisticate to be familiar with this term. A man of letters.

I thought I knew the provenance, from "Stranded In the Jungle" by the Cadets, 1956. But it turns out that the phrase used in that great work was "great googah-moogah." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9PbMucPXU at 1:29. Similar, but not usable for authentication.

But this exact vocalization was, so far as I could tell, performed first by Howlin' Wolf in "Goin' Down Slow" in 1961.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s865qLWy8-g at 2:41.

Since the Cadets' rendition of this venerable exclamation predates Wolf's by five full years, it may well be argued that we should give credit to them anyway, and consider his later rendition a mispronunciation of the original.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 pm
by jacquesmm
There is an educational side to this forum, I never heard of googly moogly.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm
by Biney777
True That! I just assumed it was Bogie hitting the sauce or sniffing paint fumes again... :wink:

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 pm
by Bogieman
terrulian wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:37 am
Great googly moogly!
Now, Bogie, it takes a real sophisticate to be familiar with this term. A man of letters.

I thought I knew the provenance, from "Stranded In the Jungle" by the Cadets, 1956. But it turns out that the phrase used in that great work was "great googah-moogah." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9PbMucPXU at 1:29. Similar, but not usable for authentication.

But this exact vocalization was, so far as I could tell, performed first by Howlin' Wolf in "Goin' Down Slow" in 1961.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s865qLWy8-g at 2:41.

Since the Cadets' rendition of this venerable exclamation predates Wolf's by five full years, it may well be argued that we should give credit to them anyway, and consider his later rendition a mispronunciation of the original.
Now, Tony, I've been called many things in my life but to call me a sophisticate is just going too far :lol:

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm True That! I just assumed it was Bogie hitting the sauce or sniffing paint fumes again... :wink:
:lol: I hadn't had any sauce at the time of the post but later on was a different story.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:40 pm
by new to sail
...and here I thought it was just an East coast, West coast thing. :doh:

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:36 pm
by Jaysen
Bogieman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 pm
Great googly moogly!

Now, Tony, I've been called many things in my life but to call me a sophisticate is just going too far :lol:
And potentially offensive to sophisticates.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 pm
by Bogieman
Jaysen wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:36 pm
Bogieman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 pm

And potentially offensive to sophisticates.
Exactly!

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 am
by new to sail
I can't believe how slow this part of the project is going. I have started to wonder if my priorities are in order.
Just about done with the galley refit and hope to start back to finishing the rest of the boat.

I found a tank that is design for potable water and the right size for the area.

Rick

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:25 pm
by Bogieman
Wow! That is looking great. There's a lot of really nice work going on there and that stuff isn't supposed to be done fast :D Don't mind admitting I'm still jealous.

Bogie

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 am
by Biney777
Bogieman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:25 pm Wow! That is looking great. There's a lot of really nice work going on there and that stuff isn't supposed to be done fast :D Don't mind admitting I'm still jealous.

Bogie
Ditto!

It just blows my mind how much the magnitude of the project increases exponentially for every additional foot of length.

I admire your persistance. I have been frustrated by just a month of delay.

Build on!

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am
by Bogieman
Biney777 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 am
Bogieman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:25 pm Wow! That is looking great. There's a lot of really nice work going on there and that stuff isn't supposed to be done fast :D Don't mind admitting I'm still jealous.

Bogie
Ditto!

It just blows my mind how much the magnitude of the project increases exponentially for every additional foot of length.

Build on!
Yes! Well put Chris.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 am
by new to sail
Thanks Bogie and Biney, I appreciate your positive acknowledgements. I really enjoy reading and seeing your builds as they progress as well, which always gives me more encouragement even when the tasks seem overwhelming. :D

Rick

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 am
by Netpackrat
Biney777 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 am Ditto!

Build on!
The difference becomes even more striking when you recall that the VG20 is really an 18' boat with a skirt at the stern, and it can be built as an 18' boat by deleting that. So it's only an additional 2 feet over the AD16 when you look at it that way. The real difference is at that point you are getting into the size where it is possible to have a true cruiser with galley, storage compartments, etc, and that's where the complexity comes in.

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:47 pm
by Biney777
Sooooo, what you are saying is size really really does matter! :wink: :D

Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:51 pm
by Netpackrat
It depends on the skirt.

Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:16 am
by Biney777
:lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:43 pm
by Bogieman
I’m guessing you are probably doing a lot of beautiful work behind the scenes ... any updates ? Your build is my favorite thread on the forum so I get thirsty when I don’t see anything new from you

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm
by new to sail
For now I quit spending so much time on the interior and decided to work and finish the outside before the weather turns bad. The day time temps have been in the 70's so this three day weekend I was able to get two coats of paint on before I had to stop. I plan on a good sanding before the next coat.

The only thing I'm not sure of is a couple of places where my orbital sander gauged the primed area leaving a couple of half moon dents. I think I can sand the paint back down to primer and quick fair those places and re-prime and re-paint. I plan to do this before the third coat goes on.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:10 pm
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:43 pm
by terrulian
I somehow missed a few editions. The countertop looks completely pro and custom.
Yes, QuickFair the 1/2 moons, or you'll see them every time you use the boat. No biggie to fix at this point.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Jeff and Tony for the nice comments.
I am glad to hear you confirmed the quick fair fix, that will make me sleep better and smooth out my blooper.

Rick

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 am
by Bogieman
Yessssssss! Beautiful work as always. They say jealousy isn't a good thing but I can't help it :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 am
by new to sail
Seems like a slow start this year, but making some progress.
I have been working on small projects, ordering boat hardware for later installation. I did get a chance to put some paint on different places, so happy about that.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:24 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:37 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Jeff. Building outdoors has created a few weather delays not to mention working around the flying insects.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:39 pm
by Bogieman
She’s looking great!

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Bogie, I’m still jealous that you are done and already on the water.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:37 pm
by Netpackrat
Good to see you are still making progress.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:43 pm
by new to sail
I think I'm getting a handle on closing in on completion. Weather has been good enough to get 3 coats of interior paint done. I can honestly say the paint portion is pretty well on the down slope.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:14 pm
by Jeff
Your paint looks great!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:21 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Jeff,
The System Three went on quite well with the roll and tip. Some places I messed up on leaving brush marks more pronounced, but overall I happy how the inside worked out. I never was much of a painter to begin with and so I will be keeping my day job.

Rick

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 pm
by Fuzz
I really like the little bits of bright finish to go with all the white. Sort of brings out the best in both.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:43 am
by new to sail
Thanks Fuzz,
The varnished mahogany really warms things up. I plan on adding mahogany fiddles to finish the interior.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:11 am
by Browndog
Looking Good!

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:29 am
by Bogieman
Wow Rick! Very nice. I can imagine relaxing with a good book in the forward cabin while anchored. Nice breeze -gentle rolling

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:42 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Browndog and Bogie.
Relaxing with a nice breeze right about now so like heaven.

Rick

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:42 pm
by Bogieman
Hi Rick! How are things going with your beautiful boat?

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:09 pm
by new to sail
Thanks for asking Bogie

I was able to get a few projects done before the heat set in. The new mast and boom arrived last week. I'll have to wait a bit and recoup from the cost of shipping before I order the standing rigging.

I was able to get a few coats of varnish on. It's tougher than I thought, found some runs and uneven areas to deal with. Other than that I am getting anxious to finish.

Rick

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 am
by Bogieman
Very nice! She’s looking great- you’re almost there

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:51 pm
by cepete02
new to sail wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:59 am I assembled the bottom panels, wired and got them glued. Next I will add fillet and tape.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/profile.php?uid=5252
Great to see you're photos, looks great! I see you've been at this almost as long as me. I had a brief 20 yr hiatus while raising kids, but I'm recently back at it. I've got a long way to go to catch up to where you are! Keep up the good work!

Carl

Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:25 am
by new to sail
Hi Carl,

I will be looking forward to your progress. Glad to hear of another VG 20 in the works. Time has gotten away from me as well. I figured a couple of years tops, but here we are 15 years and then some.

Rick

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm
by new to sail
Got a chance to add a little more to my project. Had to wait a bit for a back order, but now I can continue.
I taped around the plexiglass to keep the silicone from getting messy. It kind of helped, but it is still a lot of work keeping everything clean.

Real happy the way the portlight went on and I think looks really sharp.

I did notice I've lost a lot of my early photos, what happened?

Rick

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:40 pm
by Jaysen
new to sail wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm
I did notice I've lost a lot of my early photos, what happened?

Rick
Checked a few old posts. The problem is that the image url refer to “normal_” images. Those have been removed due to space and software changes. When you see one of your posts with broken images just edit it and remove “normal_” from then front of the image name.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 pm
by new to sail
Thanks Jaysen, that did the trick. I will go back and fix the rest.

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 am
by Bogieman
Wow! Very nice, Rick! Looks like production quality

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:45 am
by new to sail
Thanks Bogie,

I appreciate the compliment. Getting excited the closer I get to the finish line. Although I have ideas on other things I may tackle with upgrades later on, but first the boat needs to see the water.

I was sorry to see you sell your boat. Enjoyed reading your posts and seeing where you were taking her.

Rick

Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:09 pm
by new to sail
Got a chance to do a little work on the interior. I should be working on getting the rigging in place, but still looking for a trailer so I can move to a good spot to set the mast up. I tried to just epoxy over the tapped area but couldn't make it look even with the rest of the wood, so decided to just insert the whole piece.
So I bought enough wood by re-sawing the 3/4 in half to 3/8.
I was able to join the wood, I do need more practice, because even though I tried to get strait edges I would up with light coming thru in a couple of places.
I made a paper pattern to shape the wood.
Then I traced it out and cut to size.
I still had to notch out where the bulkhead came in, so I made a small template I cut work with to get a proper shape. The fillet and tape made it tricky.
The final piece put in place. Just need to varnish and finish all the trim.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:33 am
by cape man
Nice detail!

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:51 am
by new to sail
Thanks Cape man. This has been a learning experience from day one.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:28 pm
by new to sail
Finally back at it. I don't know where the time goes. Manage to get side tracked with other projects.
Got more hardware installed.

Bought mahogany lumber to finish the interior trim.

Very pleased how it turned out. Now I hope to finish so I can think about putting this in the water next year.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:35 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:23 am
by mhd
Nice work. Very interesting to see how you built the skirt.

Looks like you are almost there - do you have much to do before you can get her in the water? Can't wait to see photos of the launch! Good luck.

Mick

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:14 am
by new to sail
Thanks, Jeff and Mick

I have most if not all the construction done. Maybe a few cosmetic things I'd like to do. I have been buying small amounts of sailboat hardware as I go and have been looking for a trailer. The sails and rigging are next. I hope to launch this next summer if all goes well.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:39 pm
by rick berrey
What size and number of winches are you going to need ?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:10 pm
by new to sail
Hi Rick,

The plans calls for 2 No. 6 and that is what I have installed. Although after reading different forums maybe I should have gone one size bigger. I forget what it is called but they make some type of rubber attachment that make the winch self tailing, but doesn't fit the size 6.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:38 pm
by Jaysen
I'm on a 24' helms and self-tailing is more of a headache with reduced winch counts. Simple jam cleats or an extra wrap and hand hold if you're in fickle wind seems to be all that is needed. Last time I was out we were running a 160 full out inf 15+kn using 5 wraps on the winch and 3 fingers to hold. It was harder to let it out than to hold it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take self-tailing, but I'd need 2 more winches and I've no place to put them.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:33 pm
by rick berrey
I bought winches for the boat I was going to build , then I got a deal from someone who was going to build an iceboat on 6 #10 Andersen standard winches and handles . If anyone on the forum that has a near completed boat needs a couple in the future I will part with 2 or 3 for what I have in them + shipping , but only for a Boat Builder design that is near completion . Rick

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:56 am
by new to sail
More progress, but slow. I searched for used trailers, but struck out and decided to order a new one. The trailer company was able to design one from their stock trailer to fit the sailboat from the information I gave them. Not knowing what I needed and being 450 miles apart, several phone calls and emails, after two plus months waiting it arrived. The two months gave me time to tape, fill, fair and prime the keel to the bottom of the hull.

I got a several new coats of bottom paint on getting ready for the trailer to arrive.

Now that I have the boat on a trailer, my next step is to order the standing rigging. Eventually I will get this in the water.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:15 pm
by mhd
Glad to see you are progressing. Boat looks fantastic - a long job, but will be worth it when she is in the water.

One question. The hole drilled in the keel is for the centre-board pivot, I assume. Will you cover/fill that prior to launch or use some kind of small access port. My only real issue with the entire VG design is the lack of access to that bolt/rod when the boat is finished.

Do you have a clever way to be able to do that? I was going to install everything and then also drill in for access if needed, but would much prefer to be able to remove/replace the bolt whenever needed. I've wracked my brains to come up with a solution for my VG23 (and I'm sure Jacques also thought long and hard about it too).

Good luck getting the boat rigged and in the water - can't wait to see some photos of her afloat.

Cheers,

Mick

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:07 am
by new to sail
Thanks Mick,

I followed the plan by inserting SS screws on each side of the HDPE pin to prevent movement. At this time there is no cover to block the pin. I will check before and after launch to see what the pin has done.
New to this, so I will watch and learn from others as time go

Rick

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:33 pm
by rick berrey
I think i would use glass for a cover and drill out both sides of the cover to remove the pin if it is ever needed .

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:34 pm
by OrangeQuest
What a beautiful boat, will look even better in the water and fully rigged. (hope that was some sailor talk)

This pivot pin thing. Maybe post a few photos and better description these covers and access covers do and why cover.

Sorry, I try to follow along but sailboat talk makes my head spin... and I bought books even! :doh:

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:43 pm
by new to sail
Just started to think about the cover. Has there been situations where the pivot pin as come out? Does the weight of the centerboard on the pin help to keep it in place or does the healing motion put extra force on the pin causing it to move?

Rick

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:33 pm
by mhd
This is what I have from the VG23 plans...I assume it is the same for Rick and the VG20?

I'm using a bolt for the CB pivot - currently drilled for 1/2 inch but thinking of going up to 3/4" or even 1". Hard to explain or get your head around without seeing the CB case installed inside the keel, that is inside the boat. The issue I have is that once installed inside the keel, the keel width isn't enough to be able to remove the bolt/rod for inspection or replacement.

The pivot design is good, but I'm worried that any side-impact on the CB would create huge shear-forces on the CB and bolt. If anything like that happens I want to be assess the damage. Probably over-thinking but it is the one bit of the boat that just can't be easily accessed once built.

After seeing Rick's keel photo last night I had a brain-wave, for good/bad, and was thinking of sealing that part of the keel off from the rest of the boat interior within the keel. Then installing the equivalent of a steel deck fuel/water screw hatch flush with the keel to minimize any drag or turbulence generation. It won't be a major problem even if there is any water ingress. Doing it that way I can always get to the pivot in the event of a problem - even in the middle of the ocean. Hope my explanation makes some kind of sense. I'm not at this stage yet with my VG23 but I've probably spent more time thinking about that pivot than anything else on the entire boat!!! Everything else on the design is fixable and accessible.

And until last night I was going the way Rick suggested - simply cover with glass and drill through if/when I ever decided to replace the pivot.

Hope that makes sense!

Mick

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:44 pm
by TomW1
The only problem you will encounter with a centerboard pivot if properly built is needing to removing the centerboard due to grounding or other accident. I have owned two a 13' and a 30' thru my father-in-law. Never had to replace either.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:10 am
by new to sail
The centerboard swings around a teflon tube that is placed inside a SS tube on the VG 20
It is a different than the example Mick shows.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:03 am
by mhd
Interesting! Completely different design. Now I see why you have the holes drilled in the keel.

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm going to think on it some more - still a way to go before I have to finalise my own pivot.

Good luck getting your boat in the water - I'll be following along!

Mick

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 am
by new to sail
This may show a little more detail

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:18 am
by mhd
Okay, that makes sense now. In contrast, for the VG23, the pivot bolt does not extend out to the keel sides. So I may cut a hole in the keel to be able to access it via a small port/hatch. I'll post photos when I get to that part of the build.

Interesting how the different versions of this boat have evolved (VG18, VG20, VG23 and on to VG26!).

Good luck with your build!

Mick

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:16 pm
by rick berrey
I'm not getting the whole picture , are you trying to access the pin from inside the hull ?

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:54 pm
by mhd
That is indeed the case for the VG23. Pivot is accessed from inside the keel. Once it is installed, it can be partially withdrawn inside the keel to drop the centreboard, but can't be replaced. I'm going to fit a hatch/port at one side of the keel so I can withdraw the bolt entirely. I'll post photos once I'm at that stage. Not sure which design came first - the VG20 that Rick has built or the VG23. Or what modifications Jacques made as the boat designs evolved. I do know there were at least three keel designs for the VG20.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:27 am
by gonandkarl
Hi,
When I built my boat AD14 I had the same problems understanding the idea of the centreboard keel installation in its case. Jaques Mertens gave me the assurance that I will never ever have to remove the sleeve. The advantage of the sleeve is that it is nearly touching the inside of the centreboard case and the pivot bolt carries the load of the centreboard keel. If you want to make sure that everything is strong enough go for the idea of a 3/4 inch bolt and accordingly a SS sleeve where the inner diameter is a bit bigger than 3/4 inch. Use if possible a SS threaded rod for the bolt and cut it to length once in the cabin installed because then You can cut it exactly next to the silicone attached washer and hand tightened nuts. Installation is easy if you guide a thin wire from the cabin port side centreboard hole down under boat thru the fitted sleeve of the centreboard keel and up to the centreboard case back to the cabin thru the starboard side hole. Handles attached to the wires in the cabin can help with the alignment. I tested this so a couple of times with the sleeve alone without the heavy centreboard keel. Like this I made sure the sleeve did not jam on the inside of the centreboard case. The final installation I did with the strong son pushing the centreboard keel with the attached sleeve up and me in the cabin guiding with handles on the 2 wire ends the board into the right position. Then I inserted a screwdriver thru case and board and removed the guiding wire. The next thing was to install the bolt by pulling back the screwdriver slowly so that the board was held up only from one side and pushing the bolt in from the other side. It is of advantage if the bolt is still long enough to lever with the hand like on the other side with the screwdriver. In your case with the heavy keel I would let someone lift it with a platform and a car jack while you do everything inside the cabin.
Forget the idea about ever removing the sleeve and not at all at sea. Consider the sleeve as part of the centreboard keel and only when the keel is damaged or has to be removed for whatever reason, then you will get near the sleeve again or can install a new one into a new keel. I can imagine to remove my centreboard keel for inspection after a few years and to paint it new. Good luck with the finishing of your boat.
Greetings from Karl

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:38 am
by mhd
Hi Gonandkarl,

Very helpful - just looked at your excellent build blog and I understand now how you did it - smart.

Many thanks!

Mick (I'll stop hijacking Rick's blog now!)

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:33 am
by OrangeQuest
mhd wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:38 am Hi Gonandkarl,

Very helpful - just looked at your excellent build blog and I understand now how you did it - smart.

Many thanks!

Mick (I'll stop hijacking Rick's blog now!)
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The builders share their methods and tips anyway they can and even us non-sailors follow these build posts to increase our knowledge of all things boat building and just being boaters one day. I don't think, anyone thinks it is hijacking when you share! Please don't stop.

Besides, I was the one that asked for more details and info on this part of a sailboat. And would like to take the time to say thanks for all this new knowledge. THANK YOU for learning me. :)

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:49 pm
by mhd
Cheers mate, much appreciated. I'm always surprised that anyone reads what I've posted. Until a couple of years ago I knew very little about boats myself apart from some dinghy sailing in my youth - I know more now - a lot of it also from reading this forum and from people posting what they've been up to - but still a long way to go. I'm enjoying learning myself about all kinds of boats (starting from a very low baseline).

Back to work now - glassing. Will post an update on the VG23 when I get chance.

Mick