Gubbs GT23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Gee... I had forgotten all about the tree! It must feel good now to see the boat coming to life after a near disaster so early on.

Keep those picture coming! 8)

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Just looking through the album and the pics made me wonder if you used MDO for the hull? I have in the past and found it great to work with, especially the way there is no grain and how it takes epoxy.
Daddy

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Since I last posted I have finished laying the sole and have installed the rear bulhead. I hope to get the cabin on shortly. I will try to take some more pics this weekend.

Fortuneately, the tree disaster happend just after tabbing the hull, but before building most of the seems. Most of the tabs broke (I should say the wood around the tabs, the epoxy did not break!) but there was no serious damage to the panels. I just cleaned up the broken areas with a grinder and re-assembled the panels. I actually only lost about 2 days work because of it. It could have been a lot worse!

Yes, that is MDO. I have also found it very easy to work with, and it does take the epoxy nicely.

ggraham, I found the GT23 to be easy to build for such a large hull. The large, flat surfaces were easy to work with, particularily when glassing the hull. I am sure you will find the same with your 27. Good luck with your build.

cheers

Bill

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Got the cabin assembled and some new pics taken...

cheers

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Nice job, big boat.
Did you raise the cabin? It looks higher than designed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

I can't wait to see that thing on the water! Looks great. I agree w. Jacques, it looks taller than the study plans.

Huck

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

There is no technical problem with raising the roof in this boat, it can be done.
It's a matter of personal preferences.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Thanks for the comments! The cabin looks high for a couple of reasons. The first is that when I put together the side panels they did not fit quite right. The resulting fix was that the sides ended up about 1.5 inches low, particularily near the front of the boat. The second reason it looks high is that I opted for a flat roof instead of a curved one to make the fabrication of the foam panels easier. Then to make sure the rain would run off towards the back, I raised the front a couple of inches. If you were to measure the height of the roof at the rear of the cabin along the centerline, this height would match the plans!

cheers

Bill

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Great looking job, what do you plan to use for windows? Power? I have been thinking a lot about the GT23 but if I build it I will reduce the size by 6% which will make it 22 feet long with an 8 foot beam. This will accomplish two things, it will fit in my garage and meet the specs of my marina. If I build it I am going to try to give it a 1920s barge house boat look while maintaining the softer entry of the V hull. I have been looking at jet drives and wonder how that would work.
Daddy