Gubbs GT23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

I thought of a few more questions.

1.Is the roof stong enough to stand on (when at anchor of course)? I also plan to extend it out over the rear cockpit. I like the foam core option. I will not do the flat roof but will have a 3 inch camber in it.

2. Are the benches in the cockpit structural? I would like to eliminate them.

3. I want to change the layout of the cabin and put a dinette on the port side, narrow up the aisle and offset the doors.

4. I would like to scale the boat down by 6% which would get me close to 22 feet.

Any comments appreciated.

Daddy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Daddy wrote:I thought of a few more questions.

1.Is the roof stong enough to stand on (when at anchor of course)? I also plan to extend it out over the rear cockpit. I like the foam core option. I will not do the flat roof but will have a 3 inch camber in it.
Yes: strong enough to stand on it but not for permanent fly bridge.

2. Are the benches in the cockpit structural? I would like to eliminate them.
The rear bench is structural. It can be replaced by a bulkhead 6 to 10" in front of the transom.

3. I want to change the layout of the cabin and put a dinette on the port side, narrow up the aisle and offset the doors.

4. I would like to scale the boat down by 6% which would get me close to 22 feet.

Any comments appreciated.

Daddy
No problem with 3 and 4 except that it will become tight inside.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Thanks Jacques, If I go the motor well route will that take care of number 2 above, that is eliminating the back bench?
Daddy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Let's say replace it with a full height bulkhead in front of the transom, ideally 10 to 12" in front of it.
That bulkhead should be tied to the transom with a few uprights and a shelf. This will become a box, a beam that strengthen the transom and gives you some storage.
All this is for engines 25 HP and above. For slow speeds, a few transom knees are sufficient.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Great, many thanks, I am on my way to the post office to return the GT23 plans in inches for ones in metric.
thanks again,
Daddy

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Daddy,

Sounds like you have some good ideas for your GT23. To answer your questions, I plan on putting a 115 hp Yamaha 4-stroke on the boat. I put a deposit on one that was a fairly good deal because he used it as a demo and it has only about 50 hrs on the engine. I got my windows from Wynne enterprise, they have a good website that you should be able to google if you are interested. I was quite pleased with their construction and think they will look good in this boat. I will post more pictures once they are installed, of course.

Cheers

Bill

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Bill, thanks for your reply, I will probably build for planing but only power for displacement speeds, 25 to 50 hp depending on what is available, sounds like you got a great deal on you yammie.
Daddy

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

Hey Gubbs, coming along nicely. Do you have an ETA for your first float?

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Ozzy,

My wife and I have been pushing really hard to have it in the water for our vacation in August. We want to do the Trent-Severn Canal system in it. I currently have an appointment with the dealer to install the engine on August 7th. So I better have it in 'floatable shape' by then! It won't be finished, as I will still have lots of interior work to finish, and lots of accessories to install, but it will at least be useable.

Cheers

OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

I can tell that you (and the Mrs.) have really been busting @$$. I'm impressed as hell with the progress and based on what I see, the August goal is certainly attainable.

Understanding that it won't be done, you could always work on it while you're floating through the canals :wink:

Greg and I got the hull primed, but we've hit another minor setback. I broke my ankle over the weekend while water skiing. Fortunately I'm wearing a boot, not a cast, and I've been given the green light to put weight on it. So in a week or two I may feel up to getting back over to Greg's for some actual painting. But I don't think I'll be much help when it comes time to flip her.