Page 1 of 1

mecreatures D15

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:07 pm
by mecreature
I finally got going on this project/learning experience.

I had some downtime from work and a few days the wife and kid had things to do..

Here are a few pics of where I am and a link to the gallery..

measuring diagnals it is right on.. hard to believe..:D

I will put some straight boards on to hold a nice flat bottom and update pics as I get um.

Any input would be greatly appriciated..

BTW did I say this is a very cool and fun project.. the neighbor has a 2 stroke 10 hp motor he is holding to let me use to see if I like it or not..
we'll see might just be the ticket.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... =534&pos=0

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:34 pm
by Doug
That's going to be one stump jumpin D15 with 3/4" ply everywhere. :wink:

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:51 pm
by gk108
It looks like a D15! I think I used the same offcut for my bottom butt block. I figured it would be best to keep the longer offcuts for places where I need a long piece. Don't know where those places are yet, but I'm prepared.

You've got a good start. You'll be sanding before you know it. :D

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:29 am
by mecreature
Doug,

I dont think I will do much stump jumpin but I hope to be able to beach it up at my fav camping spot.

GK,

I have looked over your gallery several times to see whats coming up...
thanks a ton for taking the time to do it. Its been a big BIG help.

I will not probably be able to put the time in it that I would like to right now. Then the weather will not be cooperating very much in the near future. I thought if I started a thread I would have a few people to answer too from time to time about my progress.

I do like having a project that my wife rolls her eyes too and my buddies say will never happen.

My 4yr old boy has faith though and thats where the fun is.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:04 am
by Jerry-rigged
I love the look of those D15's - yours already looks good. Part of me wants to build a D15 before my C17, But I don't know... 8)

Jerry

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:14 am
by mecreature
The C17 is beautiful.

It is hard not to look forward at what could be next for sure.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:10 pm
by mecreature
I tack welded together and flipped her over.

I removed the frame I built it on after she went over.

Everything stayed together and she is ready for fillets.

I will start on transom and tackle a small section and try wet on wet.

give it a go..

Notice the light bulb burn in front of the mid frame:D

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:24 pm
by mecreature
Not much progress but some..
I got several Mahogany boards..
I have a problem when I am in those places of getting extra..
I am usually glad I did.

put some heat on the transom..

precoat mahogany mounting block

Precoat ply

Glue

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:10 pm
by fishingdan
Look'in good. Keep up the good work.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:35 pm
by mecreature
thanks Dan..I hope I can stay in a groove with the cold weather hitting pretty hard lately.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:30 pm
by mecreature
At 8 below zero the last 2 mornings. and single digits for a month now it seems nothing is getting done except alot of pondering. I knew it would be this way but man I am ready for March.

I have been using the time to draw out the longitudinal cockpit sides, seat tops and thinking about the electric and gas lines.. as well as drainage.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 am
by mecreature
longitudinal cockpit sides

Everything is fitted dry. I would like to see more of an even gap all around but I am not too sure I really need it perfect.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 am
by FLYonWALL9
That thing is looking sweet :wink:

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:11 am
by ks8
...what he said... 8)

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:37 am
by mecreature
thanks guys..

I am surprised that it is taking shape much better then I thought it would.

I have monday and tuesday off next week. shhhh I have not told the wife yet.. I know she will surely have a list of to do stuff if I do.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:24 pm
by gk108
Very nice.
I was happy with the way mine all fell into place, too. You'll be able to get a lot of filleting and taping done in two days.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:42 am
by mecreature
I wont get the whole 2 days.

Now they are saying we will be luck to hit 30..

I am tryin to get the schedule set so I dont glue anything down before I should.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:48 pm
by mecreature
I got some filleting and taping done.

everything on the inside exept the seat half frame to the longitudinal seat frames.. I need tape there.

mid frame fillet to bottom

Mid frame to side

transom to side.. I would have liked it all to wet out this well..

now for a couple final touches on the inside all of an hour or so and then I can flip this burger and get going on the bottom.. maybe I can have all the material on by the end of the month.. fingers crossed.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:08 am
by ks8
Looks permanent to me... 8)

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:30 am
by mecreature
Its amazing how solid it is already.

I will have to order more epoxy and biax. I used biax where I should have use woven in spots. I wanted more anyway.. LOL

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:39 am
by mecreature
I think I might just have enough biax after all.. by about 3 ft.. no more doubleling up though.

I got it flipped over and started shaving with the plane and getting ready for more glassing..

For some reason I cant update the gallery.. will try again in a few days.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:20 pm
by plumbertuck
my first boat was a d-15 about 6 years ago, i screwed up and used the woven outside and the biax inside on the bottom seams, it didnt seem to matter, I overlapped some biax on the outside and the boat was SOLID, youve got some pretty plywood there, seems a shame to paint it all.....
good luck hope the weather holds ...sunny and 78 here today :)

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:03 am
by gk108
I did about the same thing with my tape. I used the biax everywhere on the hull and frames. When the roll started looking small I rolled 20' onto another roll and set it back for the seat tops and other stuff and used up all of what was on the original roll. After reading some posts where a few people had transom to seat top separation, I added some strips of woven tape on top of the biax at the seat to transom and stringer to transom joints. Also, since the bow is around 45º from vertical, the biax ends up at 0º×90º orientation to the grain of the plywood. I made my bow fillet, let it set and shaped it nice. After that, the first tape I put on it was woven to get a little 45º×45º action. I followed that with biax, wet on wet.

Keep on keepin' on. :D

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am
by mecreature
Plumbertuck
Im not sure I could leave wood and have it look right. I need the practice painting anyway..

I will use what I got left in woven to double up on.

How much do you gain getting puttin your fabric down at a 45 over a 90?

Now if I could find a stretch to get alot done and not just an hour or two I could make some progress

More pics to come in the next few days..

thanks for the posts guys.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:11 pm
by mecreature
I finally got to use a mix of epoxy and microballoons... I also added a bit of wood to it .

that stuff sands and works wonderful.

I shaped the bow to get a good surface to lay the tape on.. I wanted it as skinny as I could get it...it came out great IMO.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:22 pm
by gk108
How much do you gain getting puttin your fabric down at a 45 over a 90?

Probably not much. When I did it I wasn't even considering the overlaps from the 6 Oz. woven that I covered the whole outside with. You are probably already far enough into it to know how strong that little composite "stem post" is going to be. :wink:
I wanted it as skinny as I could get it...it came out great IMO.
So you are saying there are boats that cut through the waves and then there are boats that CUT through the waves? :D

Did you cut the camber on your bow?

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:47 pm
by mecreature
Yeah I cut the camber into it. I like it.

That mixed filler I got with the epoxy kit "is the stuff". I dont know why you would want to use anything else.. I have never used quick fair though. I will see

too bad the whole bow is out of the water... LOL

I think the hardest thing about all this (the first time) is everyone does there own thing with a given set of basics materials and rules from the designers.. No two will ever be the same. pretty cool..

today I went to the boat junk yard.. LOL and then came back and ordered some stuff off the web.

bow eyes, nav light, battery case, thru hull connections and a few other odds and ends..

I still need to get a grip on the electrical and how I want everything. then how I am going to run the wires and chase.

I am getting better at research though.

I am still torn on how to wire the whole thing. When I think I see what I want then I find another circuit panel with some little something el

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:56 am
by mecreature
Everything is sanded and cleaned up ready to tape and glass the bottom.

If I can find the time.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:40 am
by mecreature
I went ahead and cut all the biax to make sure I have enough for the outside... I am about 3 ft short.

I can use the bow for one of the sides and put only woven there. Option

I can use woven on the outside chine and save the biax for other stuff?

maybe I should ask this on the fiberglass forum?

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:32 pm
by mecreature
I got the outside seams and the transome glassed.

I made a fairing board out of some 3/4 in ply.. probably too stiff but I will give it a go.

Now to order some more epoxy and glass the bottom..

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:57 pm
by MadRus
It's looking great. Nice job on the bow seam. I never can get a very good line where my panels meet. Don't know why, just impatient I think. Yours looks increadible.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:26 pm
by mecreature
thanks Madrus,

I hope it stays looking good.

I have probably spent too much time going over things again and again before the next step. I figure its good practice. I was going to do wet on wet but time just isnt there to keep going.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 pm
by jaygee
I was looking at the pix of your boat, which looks very good, and I saw your fairing board. How do you keep the sand paper on the board? I need one of those too!

Thanx

jaygee

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:15 am
by mecreature
I have not used it much but it works good.

I just use standard sheets (cut to fit) and 3M adhesive on both surfaces. Let dry to a tack and stick um together. I got the 3M 99.. the 3M 77 would work though. I also cut several outdoor carpet pieces with the rubber back to go inbetween the board and the paper... just a bit of give so you dont have hard board on your ply.

thinner board would probably work better.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:55 pm
by mecreature
I got the outside glassed. it got down to 18 degrees but with 6 100 watt bulbs and a space heater it was hard in the morning. I had to work it more then I wanted but got alot of air out. the back over it and filled the weave pretty good.

Lesson learned.. get help putting down the big sheets of fabric. It would have made life easier. but all in all it seems to be good..

Now for a quick round of sanding and filp over to do some more of the inside.

I am slowly getting all my accessories together.

I will update pics shortly.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:23 pm
by mecreature
a few pics..

looks to be a great weekend here in april..

I hope to get a round of sanding the whole inside and some c??k??^??e seats..

Everything is glassed on the outside and weave is filled. Looks better up close then it does in the pic.

after cure a bit too much epoxy in spots but it will keep me out of the fabric when I sand.

Now for finish on inside and then filp back over and finish outside.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:09 pm
by timoub007
Looks pretty good in the pics, so it must look great in person.

Tim

Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:06 am
by mecreature
I finally got to take the IndianRiverSkiff out side and do some sanding.

I got the whole inside sanded and all the rough edges KO'd.

I also got the seat tops cut out and dry fitted.. taking shape..

will post pics later.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:32 pm
by mecreature
A few pics of seat tops roughed in.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:02 pm
by TomW
Looking nice!

Tom

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:28 pm
by mecreature
thanks Tom..

I am going to have to suffer through learning finishing tricks as I go..

It always seems when I am done with something... A light bulb pops up above my head and I think of a way I could have done it better... :idea:

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:17 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's why we always build another boat :D

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:29 pm
by mecreature
Cracker Larry wrote:That's why we always build another boat :D

true...Dont let my wife hear you say that.

I am cleaning out my bigger out-building and putting in a bigger door... I dont know why yet... :doh:

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:58 pm
by mecreature
Very nice weekend here in Indiana...

I got the outside 1st round of sanding done.
Skeg cut and glued.
Seat tops butt blocked and glued
Bow deck cut and dry fit.

A couple pics to show progress..

1 gallon of S3 high build primer is on the way. I traded a friend of mine a box of vintage 93 Honduran cigars I have been holding on to but have never smoked so I told him order me the paint and some non-skid additive for my topcoat paints and you get the gars.. Plus some.. good deal.

Now to cut some battens during the week and maybe get some glued. Foam compartments need to be decided on.. :doh: but its only still April

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:20 am
by mecreature
Ok I have some progress

I made some compartment for foam and filled and trimmed them out

I cut bow deck supports from Douglas Fir glued them on along with some other seat supports and put 3 coats of primer in the bow locker.

I also glued a blocked of DF inside the bow for the eye bolts.

Drilled, Fitted and pulled back out for priming. holds nice and tight..

more pics in gallery and more to come this week I hople..

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:50 pm
by mecreature
things have been slow on the D-15 building lately.

I have the kitchen all ripped out for a new floor, cabinets, everything is out and new is going in by the end of June.. "is she getting me back for this boat building thing :doh: "

All work and no Play makes mecreature a dull boy...

BUT: it hasn't been a total stand still.

I tried my hand at marinepoxy and mixed filler to cover some tape.
I cut the seats to finish shape and added 3/4 below along with a butt block.
primed under the seats and bow locker again. Primed sides and bottom in front of mid frame.

I had enough woven fabric to glass the floor. (the plans call for it)
Looks Nice IMO..
I might just use antiskid directly on top of it

the front of the seat got a router ran over the top and bottom with a round over to K/O the edge. with the 3/8 seat and the 3/4 glued below it give it a substantial seat top and grabs nices.

this was a test but it came out nice and clean. I will also do behind the mid frame on the inside of the cockpit. after I get it all glued down I will do the inside of the seats to the longitudinal stringer with small round over and tape it. shouldn't need much attention after that.

I got all the rub rails cut out of the 1/4 inch (there is more scrap then you would think). I got 6 or 7 nice long pieces.

I also made 40 PVC clamps to help hold it all down when gluing..

Now I need some wood filler. might as well... I got to order some quick fair and some top coat and give that stuff a try now..

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:41 am
by mecreature
OK...

I got the seats in and glued.. filled the left over gaps and sanded..

came out real nice..

I ran a round over around the whole seat and sanded smooth and put a light layer of epoxy over the whole seat.

I need to lightly sand the inside.. then install the rub rails..

Still more remodeling so time is scarce..

I did get to take a week and visit one of my favorite lakes in Tennessee..

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:57 pm
by mecreature

All seats are taped and sanded slightly. It should finish pretty good.

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:12 pm
by mecreature

A pic of the ripped 1/4 for the rails and a side shot of the rails installed..

I planed the top and the bottom will need some sanding as soon as I flipped it over to finish the bottom..

I have been sanding probably too much along the way so it shouldn't be long till I am putting big batches of paint on this beast..

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:28 pm
by gk108
Looks good. At this rate you'll be launching in no time. I got mine close to the water Saturday. I was going to go for a little spin with trolling motor only, but the rain got to Lake Miccosukee about the same time I did. She did get to see what a lake is, though. :roll:
Keep on sanding. :D

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:00 pm
by mecreature
Yeah.. Sanding...

I got some quik-fair and gave it a try last night on some biax tape around the mid frame.. It goes on nice..should do the trick.. I want to do the first round of faring with mixed filler then touch up with quick fair then should be ready for primer.

I am not all that dead set on a perfect finish. Seat and deck tops and the floor are my main challanges to start. But it looks pretty good already.. I primed the deck in front of the mid frame and with 2 layers of primer it already could be just fine. One more go round.

All I have is a 55lb thrust trolling motor. That might be all I get for a bit. I can still get a 10 horse motor (the motor and price is great) but dont want to cut the transom down to 15 inches.

What I would really like is a 25 hp motor and a bit bigger trailer then I need so I can easily upgrade to the FS 17... :o

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:45 pm
by mecreature
A little bit of work is getting done. Sanding a bit of mixed filler and trials on quick fare and more sanding... just small spots right now.

Drain plug and holes are drilled I need to epoxy and redrill to correct size..

I got a trailer.. ShoreLand'r SLV15.. its 4 yrs old and like new.. a small amount of cracking on the tires but thats an easy fix.. I will repack the bearings and put new seals on it and it adjust the bunks and winch to fit. it should fit the newer FS17 too if I give that build a go after this..

more pics to come but nothiing major has happened recently.. except for a weeks vacation up in Mantisee Michigan on the Lake.. What a great place...

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:14 am
by mecreature
pic of trailer..

I like the idea of not having to do anything to it.

And I got the guy to drop another 100.00 bucks on the price.. I could see some cracks in the tires

Its only got 12in tires.. I would prefer a bit bigger...give and take on this stuff..

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:17 pm
by mecreature
I have been getting a few things done..

One hot summer it has been I think everyday in Aug was 95 degrees +..

I did get a chance to go to Michigan and to Tennesse for some vacation down time...

first day of fall and 92 degrees.. man o man..

So those are my excuses... anyway

I am making a recessed panel. looks as if it would work just fine..

Its a cigar box made of Spanish Cedar..its a good start.

I will glue a back plate of maranti to it then fillet it in, reinforce the lid with a fillet and tape it front and back and fair it and prime it.

I will keep my fingers crossed

I am pretty good as far as fair on the inside. I have been over it once and am about to quik fair it and sand it again.. I have the foredeck and everything in front of the midframe good to go.. I have played with primer on it... 3 coats.. I think I will hit it again 3 times before I make the committment to the final coats.. but all looks good from my vanish point..

More pics and updates to come I have done more work then appears here. Just slow to post..

Did I say it has been a hot summer.. I would understand if I lived in Georgia or Florida but not this far north..

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:21 pm
by mecreature
another pic.. dry fit in...

with the help of wood/flour epoxy mix and some tape you will never think its not part of the stringer/seat support.

that is my hope anyway.. if not it is gonna be staring at me everytime I am in the boat.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:14 pm
by ks8
Just saw the view from July 2. Great picture. Progress is progress, I say, six years later and actually almost ready to launch! :)

You're getting there. And let's not forget that you're getting the kitchen finished also. :wink:

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:22 am
by mecreature
good point on the kitchen...

That has been... uh.... interesting...

I ended up doing alot of the install/electrical myself..

I wanted it all redone.. I am at the point in my life that I am willing to bite the bullet and pay to have some stuff done... But I find it simply amazing how hard it is to find people to do a decent job at a decent price. And the the work is not so decent I find out... OH well..

I did end up confronting the installers and showing them the stuff I had to do..

On the other hand they are compensating me with new cabinets and counter tops to do my Laundry/Mud room too. (Good Deal) for me .. with the exception I have to install everything..

getting there..

But Back to boat building.
After some small installations and one good day of sanding and spreading some quickfair and sanding again I am sure I will be pleased with the results..

sure looks alot ruffer in that picture then in person.

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:46 pm
by mecreature
I have been sandind and sanding... I cant imagine build a big boat.

I put the electric panel in glued and taped faired.

I hit the inside with some epoxy mixed filler and some quick fair..

I think one more small batch of quickfair over all and a quick sand maybe 100 grit then I can prime this damn boat.. LOL

looking good.

more pics to come.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 am
by mecreature
I have been installing some small inwales.. mostly cosmetic but will serve some function when I am in the forward deck fishing..

I installed a plate for mounting the trolling motor and cut a hole for a plug. should work nice.. The sales guy where I bought the plug kept on me that the 4ga. wire I was using was stupid... all I needed was 8...I got tired of him... maybe he just wanted to sell me more wire.. :idea:

I should put in a battery charger. every thing is pretty tight so it would be nice to just plug and run...

It was 0 F this morning that epoxy was hard.. I put a couple lights on it before I mixed and then put lights on the parts being glued... It kept it toasty enough kick.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnal I should be able to prime here real quick... alot has been primed and sanded already.

more pics to come..

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 am
by Lower
Boat sounds like it's coming along nicely. Look forward to seeing some updated pics. Primer will be nice...like you said...light at the end of the tunnel. Will be a fun little boat to fish out of.

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:20 pm
by mecreature
I am hoping to get a stretch or 2 of hours this weekend to glue some more together and get some pics..

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:51 am
by mecreature
this dropped to page 2.. man is that unexceptable..

Nice weekend this one was.. I think it got to 40.

Slowly I have got the inside sanded... to the point where thats it..

looks good though...

I put 2 coats of primer over all on the inside and flipped it.. man is it heavier then I though...

Saturday I went over the boat 2 good times with the RO and now am waiting on some quickfair and another gallon of primer..

I will get some pics up.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:03 pm
by mecreature
OK a few pics have been posted

this is one

everything was knocked down and now I have applied mixed filler in some of the deeper spots and quick fair over the tape on the outside

bow

transom and side. deeper stuff got hit with mixed and then topped with quickfair...

motor fits nice after taking a bit more then an inch off the transom. I hope it is low enough. if not I will take a bit more off. I want to try it like this first to see if it sucks any air down to the prop...

might add a doel fin... cheap and should be effective

thats it.. I want the bottom primed and painted by the end of Feb... should happen if I half way stay at it. weather permitting which it has not been cooperating lately..

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:37 am
by mecreature
I had an OK weekend.. the last 2 mornings it was below 10 so with fairing you have a bit of waiting time.

I cut the spray rails and glued them on per plans. I only went up 9 feet from transom. should do the trick if not I can knock them off and re install. later.. I like um..

I went over with quickfair 2 time sanding between each.. just about ready to Prime... again weather permitting. mid 30s is all its going to be this week.
8)

pics to come

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:56 am
by mecreature
What a nice weekend. at least for here.

It got up to 60 yesterday and I was ready to clean and apply primer..

the wife didn't see the window of opportunity quite as enthusiastically as I.

Oh well the window was there never the less.

I got spray rails cut and glued and filleted in... cut from FUR..

I got fillets on the skeeg and a good sanding and shaping. should be a smooth transition for the water off the back..

quick lite sanding and another coat is all she needs... might do 2 more coats of primer before I try the tip and roll.

Looking good though. a lot smoother the the pictures make it seem. :P

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:32 am
by gk108
Looks good! It won't be long now... :D

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:47 pm
by mecreature
thanks gk..

the inside is in pretty good shape. sanded.. primed and everything dry fitted.

shouldn't be long5

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:31 am
by mecreature
I have 3 coats of Orcas White Overall on the outside. I sanded with 180 and I am going to put 2 more coats on thinning the batches quite a bit.

My last coat went on the smoothest I think I got the nak.. bad thing is I only had one quart. 2 more coats on the outside and half a quart left for touch ups...

I have narrowed down to these 2... If I dont change my mind again.. they are the simplest and add some interest to a solid color.

opinions welcome.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:24 pm
by topwater
I like the top one, nice and clean looking 8)

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:12 am
by mecreature
Yip... me too.

I was also considering shortening the line to avoid meeting the two sides at the bow.

the inside and rub rail will be the same as the stripe with some no-skid additives to a slightly lighter color on deck surfaces.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:21 pm
by mecreature
3 top coats on then sanded and 3 more put on.

warmer weather would have given me a better surface IMO but from what I gather I will be sanding and recoating this S3 on the bottom anyway..

Looks nice IMO

I need to fillet and tape the breasthook and knees while upside down maybe prime that area at this time for ease.. then flip and just a bit of quickfair on the inside and several coats of primer and then paint it..

I have decided on a 50/50 mix of Whidbey white and Bainbridge white S3 paint. gives a light warm gray and a half gallon instead of a quart of each.

this should be enough to cover well.. Both those colors covered tons better then the Orcas White.

then install all the extras...

I will take it on a run after the primer and paint are done on the inside.. just to double check the engine height on the transom and trolling motor height and to see where the water line is and if I like the stripe where planned..

BTW mid 60s and sunny this weekend.. best weather since last October. Should make for good priming and painting.. It will hit the water this month.

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:40 pm
by TomW
That is one sharp looking boat Mc. Can't wait to see you launch it. I know there are lots of lakes/reservoirs in Indiana. Fished some of them with my cousins when young as they lived in NE IN when I was growing up.

Tom

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:22 pm
by mecreature
Thanks Tom.

I have got my eye on some of those lakes. With gas prices these days I can get to alot of them in an hour give or take a bit. And to kill 2 birds with one stone.. I can stop by a few Aunts and Uncles and get a free meal to boot.. LOL

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:51 am
by mecreature
I did the tape and fillet on under the breast hook and knees. Man am I getting better at this or what.

Flipped the boat and lowered on to the trailer and adjusted the bunks.

fits nice and tidy.. but this trailer really needs an FS17 sittin in it.

Now for a week or 4 on the inside.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:32 pm
by mecreature
Outside is done.. I already put a big scratch down the bottom getting this thing off the trailer :oops: fixed and moving on..

the inside is faired and sanded.. it needs another once over if I am good 2 once overs if I am not so good.

prime, sand, prime and paint... maybe sand and paint.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:04 pm
by Cracker Larry
Looks great :!:

Give it 2 more once overs and prime it too. You'll never regret it. 3 extra days work, versus looking at it for years saying I wish I had spent those extra 3 days :oops:

That's what I say about my GF 16 :oops: :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:30 pm
by mecreature
thanks larry.

gave it a good once over today another tomorrow. it gets better everytime.

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 am
by gk108
Looking good.
Be sure to put your battery on the opposite side. That's probably the biggest oversight I made on mine. I'll be doing something about it, though. Eventually.... :oops:

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:12 am
by mecreature
I am locating the battery on the opposite side forward under the seat. I also can position it right behind the midframe in the center of the boat.

I have some options for balance once loaded.

I hope that motor support will handle it.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:52 am
by mecreature
three times on the once over.. but that is it.

Looks good to me.. Now to get every thing hooked up and a final coat on the transom and a couple nicks on the outside.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:58 am
by steve292
Nice....what paint did you use?

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:59 am
by ks8
10:45... almost time to launch! Or is it that lunch? Will it be in the water by noon? 8)

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:27 am
by mecreature
steve292 wrote:Nice....what paint did you use?
S3... primer and top coat. It gives a nice surface and does as good as you are willing to put the time into. I can see few small brush strokes.. its is tough paint though..

10:45... :cry:

I had to get back to work this week. Last week I took a few days off to get the garden going. Put some sweet corn in... tune up the cars and work on the Travel trailer... I took a few days to finish the painting too..

it will get wet soon.. I would love to pull it out and let the sun shine on that paint for a few days at about 90 degrees.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:37 pm
by gk108
mecreature wrote:I would love to pull it out and let the sun shine on that paint for a few days at about 90 degrees.
Better warn the neighbors to wear their sunglasses if you do. 8)

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 am
by mecreature
the flash kicks the white off more then it actually is... Its a mixture of 50/50 off whites.

Now the outside is white... I don't mind being seen... I guess

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:51 pm
by mecreature
I got all the electric and gas hooked up and installed. everything is a go..

I am going to try to splash it this weekend.. I dont have my numbers yet but who knows how long that will take.. I do have launch permits and all the paperwork so far.

I have several pics just not updated yet.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:21 pm
by ks8
Congrats! Now, time to hurry up and wait... 8)

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:55 pm
by mecreature
Yeah I know ks8... I have not told the wife yet but I am going to skip out on a graduation this weekend.. that gives me a bit of a window to work with.

I'm starting to develop a cough..

I already got a nice cuban cigar picked out to smoke too.. LOL

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:40 am
by mecreature

Only problem is bilge. It empties out the area faster then the limber holes can feed it once it gets below the bottom of the longitudinal stringer/seat supports on the bottom.. No biggie it was only an exercise. You can see battery placement and electric panel

this pic is a better example of the difference in color white and off white. there is a bit of contrast.

This is a better shot of the inside. 4 pole holders and 2 drink holders. running light holder under mid seat. I have added some of that rubber floor and a small fire extinguisher under mid seat also.

I just like this shot. shows the color contrast plus it looks line and old Buick my mom use to have when I was a kid.

I got a chance to run it around and it runs great. No camera.. Doh... it was in the car.. I will get it out again real soon. Numbers are on order we will see how long that takes...

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:30 am
by gk108
Excellent job :!:
Congratulations. You now step up from "are building" to "have built".
What's next? :D

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:36 am
by mecreature
thanks GK..

Dont know whats next.. I got an itch though... I dont know what they put in that epoxy.

I thought it was an FS17 but I have been looking at that Garvey 13 real close.. I told my wife dont even try to fight it. Its bigger then both of us.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am
by WobblyLegs
Nice job. You must be pleased. Is it wet yet?

Tim.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:51 pm
by mecreature
WobblyLegs wrote:Nice job. You must be pleased. Is it wet yet?

Tim.
I took it out for a quick run on Sunday. I had to adjust the bunks a bit in the back. It runs and handles better then I expected. No pics it was just me and the ramp was pretty busy so I made it quick and sweet.

once I get the numbers I will give it a proper launch. Or if that seems to be taking to long I might do it doing the week if I can get out of working.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:25 pm
by TomW
Glad you were able to get out. You have a sharp looking D15.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:34 pm
by tech_support
I agree the boat looks sharp. the two shades of white look nice

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:55 pm
by mecreature
Thanks Tom and shine..

I have more then enough of the inside color (mix 50/50 of 2 different off whites S3) to do a nice stripe and touch up if need be..

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 pm
by colonialc19
Great looking boat, job well done! 8)

Daniel

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:00 pm
by steve292
mecreature wrote:I told my wife dont even try to fight it. Its bigger then both of us.
You got it bad. :D
Nice job.
Steve

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:17 am
by mecreature
thanks again.

I thought the first one was just practice. I seen it in the tutorials.

The D-15 will serve my needs well. It will fish anything around my area and beyond.. Except Lake Michigan.. But we always charter that anyway.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:35 pm
by mecreature
I have had the boat out 3 times recently. I get 21.1 mph on the gps with me my son 3 gallons of gas, batter, and maybe 50 lbs of other stuff.

I seem to get some cavitation especially in turns.. That might be expected being a flat bottom with a sharp chine.. I have a tiller extension coming and think if I get my C.O.G better it will feed the prop better...

No pics still..... but I will

I did get DNR checking it all over at the ramp.. He says he will be nice and let me launch it but I really need my number before it hits the water.. What a nice guy uh..

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 pm
by gk108
You have me beat by 2 mph. With mine at 1"+ below the hull, I could still get some slight cavitation turning sharp at speed. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Cavitating from a hole shot or regularly losing its bite because of wave action would be cause for concern.
How was stability? Any porpoising?

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 am
by mecreature
No porpoising what so ever... yet...I was expecting some. I haven't had it loaded very much yet either. It's alot more stable then I thought it would be.. very easy to fish from. I got the 21mph with the wind at our back.. turn around into it and 17.4 is all I could get..

I dont think a change in prop or a doelfin would get it were it should be. I think I would end up taking some off the transom anyway.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 pm
by mecreature
I finally got everything legal and with proper tags and numbers. Wow was that an interesting process.. At least now I know..

The D-15 runs good and is pretty darn solid and not as tippy as I thought.

After having her out just 4 times I can see the need for a yearly once over to keep her in good shape... too many dings already.

Oh yeah.. thats the crew.. You are only as good as your crew I tell him. He gets it.

the main reason for building the thing in the first place..

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:52 pm
by Cracker Larry
Mecreature, that's beautiful. A first class job :!: First class crew also. He'll never forget days like that 8)

Get a couple of fenders to use around the docks, they'll save you a lot of ding repair.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:09 pm
by topwater
Thats the best reason in the world :)

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:13 pm
by TomW
mec, great crew, and good looking boat to.

Tom

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:10 pm
by gk108
There is not a land anywhere that cannot be reached with a good ship and an able crew. 8)