Texas LB22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Texas LB22

Post by Dougster »

Test post to see if my IP is still blocked.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Ah, good. Never happened before but I couldn't post---kept getting an odd msg about being blocked or something. Couldn't clear it 'cuz it didn't like my "public" email address (gmail). It said something about clearing in 3 days if no more spam happened, so I guess it did. Anyway, I postponed the splash till this Wed. Schools not out, I have the day off, and the ramp should be pretty empty. Tried the motor on the hose yesterday and all went well. We'll see how well I set the trailer up when I back her down and especially when I put her back on. Gonna give her a good power wash this morning. Hope you and Bonnie make it to POC John.

'bout ready for splash Dougster

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Awesome Dougster! Really looking forward to seeing the pictures of the splash and hearing your report!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'm looking forward to seeing the splash pictures, Doug :D I've been following this for, uh... over 7 years :!:
Texas LB22
Postby Dougster » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:06 pm
Hey folks, I've come down here to start a thread where I can just carry on
You have done a dang fine job on her 8) Wish I could be there for the splash. Drink the wine before you break the bottle :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

2007 8O Well, the truth is I think I bought the ply and started cutting in 2006 8O 8O I'm following your build 'Brink, and don't think it'll take you quite as long :roll: Larry, of course built a half dozen boats and raised his children in less time. I wouldn't want new people reading this and feeling intimidated though. I had zero skills to begin with and had to learn everything. Given my now known "Dougstering" way of learning I pretty much built her twice :lol: Nah, that's an exaggeration. I did work slowly, seldom more than 4 hour stretches and more often 2 hour, and certainly not every day. It's a hobby now. BTW, Nina loved that power wash. Water suits her.

Waitin' on Wednesday Dougster

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching you build this boat! getting to meet you and see Nina in person in POC is going to be better. Thanks for following my build, I learned a lot from your Dougstering!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC »

Hey Dougster,
Glad to see Nina is ready to splash! :D :D Are you going to put in at Canyon Lake or go up north (LBJ, Inks)? Lets see lots of pictures. BTW, SledDog said he would be at POC 8)
John

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Hallelujah, Nina splashed :D
Gettin' her ready:

Back her down:

Here's hopin'

Kinda speechless:

She runs a little bow high. No weight in there now and two batteries in aft stern lockers. Half tank gas.

I have a video of a drive by on plane, but will need some time to figure out how to post it. She's a bit slow. Design speed is 20 mph with 30 horses. My beginner overweight build (bare hull is 1160 lbs, with motor, batteries, and gas say 1500 lbs). She ran a two run course average of 18.5 mph at about 4950 rpm with 30 horse e-tec. Dunno the pitch on the factory prop that came with the motor, but will find out. I'd hoped for 20 so am giving myself a near miss.

No porpoise, no odd mannerism. Didn't get to run her in much chop. Tracks on a rail and turns a bit slowly with her big keel. It wasn't a long day, but I'm beat. Too much time with my heart in my throat :D I did have a couple come up and notice her on the trailer and wanted to know more, loved her, etc. I love her too :wink: I don't have words to tell you guys how much it all means and how grateful I am to so many who have held my hand here for, well, a few years.

Here's the best pic of all:

Speechless Dougster

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Congratulations, the boat looks real good.

It's difficult to see in your pictures but it looks like she runs a little bit bow high.
With some weight forward like ground tackle and gear, the trim should improve. Also, you will get used to the engine trim.
Trimmed down, she may go faster.

Note that the designed speed is 18 mph top with a 30, not 20.
I have been on one fitted with a 50 HP that ran well above 25 mph but that is not what she is designed for. She should feel very comfortable at semi-displacement speeds.

Your hull looks very fair, nice paint job.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Very nice Dougster!! Congratulations! :D

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum